Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 07:06 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Ignore it if you wish. This will take longer but I was told over and over and over that I was wrong when I said oil would collapse as soon as Q.E. ended.

I'm patient.
It has to be related to some degree. Just not the proximate or only cause. Oil started to crash June of last year, QE ended in October.

5 Year Crude Oil Prices and Crude Oil Price Charts - InvestmentMine

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/30/up...arts.html?_r=0

China has a long way to go before the yuan will be a significant world reserve. Even fast tracked, IMO not short or medium term. 10 -25 years I would bet it will happen. I would also bet the USD in that time frame is still very much in demand. I would not be surprised to see eventual Yuan/USD distributed in the world as per our current political global alliances. I might not be around to invest and gain on it, but I will educate my kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 07:14 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post

China has a long way to go before the yuan will be a significant world reserve. Even fast tracked, IMO not short or medium term. 10 -25 years I would bet it will happen. I would also bet the USD in that time frame is still very much in demand. I would not be surprised to see eventual Yuan/USD distributed in the world as per our current political global alliances. I might not be around to invest and gain on it, but I will educate my kids.
I said it won't be as immediate as QE was on commodities but its not just China. It's going to be Russia and India also at the very least.

We won't be in a good position to do anything about it 70 trillion in debt.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:32 PM

Quote:
I said it won't be as immediate as QE was on commodities but its not just China. It's going to be Russia and India also at the very least.

We won't be in a good position to do anything about it 70 trillion in debt.
It will surely take more than a season of time.

In order for any sovereign currency to be a useful world reserve it has to be created and then distributed throughout the world in vast quantities. It will take a long time and many new trillions of Roubles, Renminbi or whatever currency. So pick a future reserve nation and create many new trillions of secure, stable, freely tradable and liquid units of their currency/debt and there you go.

China has a long row to hoe. Russia and India will stay 2nd world IMO.

I guess a nation could choose to create all their money de novo, without the debt. But I don't think that the world would consider it as reliable.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:42 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Talking Leftwing Policies Bankrupting The Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowtreatments View Post
Shame on both Parties for mortgaging our children's future. How does Obama and the Rinos not take more heat for this is beyond me. Sadly I think we've reached the point where people are so irresponsible that if you asked them "would you still support entitlements now if u knew it meant complete financial collapse in 30 years" most would say yes. Thank you liberals for corrupting a generation.

National debt jumps nearly $100 billion in one day to record high | Washington Examiner

FYI...

The GOP congress does the spending.

Now you know.

Old 07-03-2016, 10:04 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
It will surely take more than a season of time.

In order for any sovereign currency to be a useful world reserve it has to be created and then distributed throughout the world in vast quantities. It will take a long time and many new trillions of Roubles, Renminbi or whatever currency. So pick a future reserve nation and create many new trillions of secure, stable, freely tradable and liquid units of their currency/debt and there you go.

China has a long row to hoe. Russia and India will stay 2nd world IMO.

I guess a nation could choose to create all their money de novo, without the debt. But I don't think that the world would consider it as reliable.
I can see China and Russia conspiring (not really the right word)........working together in knocking the dollar off its perch.

It will take time but the worse it's going to be for us as long as we continue on our current debt path.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:17 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
A smaller government with a smaller checkbook is the ONLY answer.
Would probably help if the Obama's would stop with all the vacationing!

Along with the cost of each illegal brought in. If each refugee cost $20,000 X 25,000=$500,000,000.......
just how many have we bought to come to America!

I don't think this has anything to do with baby boomers, as one poster suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
FYI...

Now you know.

Yes and they have okayed paying for each refugee coming to America.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:26 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
We can't go bankrupt.

We can experience runaway inflation. But we aren't. The reason we aren't is because the u.s. financial position is actually quite strong, contrary to what the nutters say.

If you think 20trillion in debt is excessive, just look at the amount of debt in the private sector. It puts the government to shame.
If I borrow money as a business the expectation is not only will I generate enough revenue with it to pay the loan back but I'm also going to put money into my own pocket. Loans to business are typically for capital expenses, suppose you are a utility that is going to build a billion dollar power plant that will take 25 years before you see a return on your investment. The bank is going to be paid back over 25 years, you will put money in your pocket for the next 25 years.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:29 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
FYI...

Now you know.

The next time a President is threatening veto of spending bill I'll remind you of your comment.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
I can see China and Russia conspiring (not really the right word)........working together in knocking the dollar off its perch.

It will take time but the worse it's going to be for us as long as we continue on our current debt path.
How does China and Russia take over the USD's role as a world reserve without creating a massive amount of new sovereign debt of their own?

How soon do you think we will see the rough equivalent of $500B daily trading volume in this new reserve?

Old 07-04-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If I borrow money as a business the expectation is not only will I generate enough revenue with it to pay the loan back but I'm also going to put money into my own pocket. Loans to business are typically for capital expenses, suppose you are a utility that is going to build a billion dollar power plant that will take 25 years before you see a return on your investment. The bank is going to be paid back over 25 years, you will put money in your pocket for the next 25 years.
Much of national debt does the same thing. For instance we build public roads/bridges and for the next 25 years there is then more local commerce, business and travel. That road improves local business and pleasure for the next 25 years. The big difference here is that the Federal Gov't does not need to 'pocket' any money. That is a pleasure that should be reserved for the private sector. if the Federal Gov't 'pockets' money, that necessarily means a reduction in that same amount of money from the private sector.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies