Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 10:22 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,741,829 times

Advertisements

Any human action which is not an initiation of force upon another, is a natural human right, and is not subject to the whim of "government", "majority", "collective", tyrant, thug, or neighbor.

No person, group, or government has a fictional "right" to impose their will upon another through initiations of force, violence, or coercion.

Science is not needed to justify freedom, only morality is.

Last edited by irspow; 07-11-2016 at 10:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 10:54 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I brushed it off and told her at her age, it probably wasn't a good idea.......many times I wonder what would have happened if she had tried it. Thankfully, the good Lord didn't make her suffer too long, lots of prayers and family got her through it.
If it was that advanced, I doubt I could have helped much anyway. Don't kick yourself over that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
My only issue with MJ laws, is it should not just be for medical use ONLY, just because others can't handle their actions when high.
What actions are you referring to? You don't seem to be the type (like a few other posters here) to buy into drivel like "100 million Americans enabled to be whacked out to the detriment of the rest of us" (posted earlier in this thread), so I'm curious if you have personal experience with someone who was not able to handle their actions after consuming cannabis?

Old 07-11-2016, 10:58 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,520,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post

What actions are you referring to? You don't seem to be the type (like a few other posters here) to buy into drivel like "100 million Americans enabled to be whacked out to the detriment of the rest of us" (posted earlier in this thread), so I'm curious if you have personal experience with someone who was not able to handle their actions after consuming cannabis?
It is so rare to encounter belligerent people on cannabis (alone, not combined with other drugs like alcohol) that people often can't think of a single time in their lives it has happened. Still gotta lock em up in a cage for altering their consciousness though since, well, the law says so

And dontcha know?...It's called DOPE..not cannabis

Old 07-18-2016, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
And dontcha know?...It's called DOPE..not cannabis
Sorry, my mistake.

While researching for some help for a little girl from South Carolina, I came across this. There is a LOT of good information and testimony here:

New Research Confirms Cannabis Kills Brain Cancer, NOT Your Brain

After giving that a good read, why not buzz over to Facebook and read about Allie? Fortunately she has open-minded parents with the means to get her to a state where she can be helped.

In these times the issues surrounding the marijuana debate seem to pale in comparison to other problems with society, but that does not mean the carnage has stopped. Every day people lose their life, career, family and homes to the war on drugs, and people like Allie are blocked from getting the help and/or relief they so desperately need. When I come across children struggling like Allie is, I am reminded why I get up every morning and try to do my part in ending this horrific war.

https://www.facebook.com/alliesfriendsfoundation/

Old 07-18-2016, 07:27 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,984,032 times
Quote:
This thread is about some interesting new scientific results that have been released recently.

Marijuana Compound Removes Toxic Alzheimer's Protein from the Brain

I think it is important to note that this is science, not some political or medical site with an agenda. For those of you who are scientific enough to understand it, here are the nitty gritty details:

Amyloid proteotoxicity initiates an inflammatory response blocked by cannabinoids : npj Aging and Mechanisms of Disease

I don't know how you never-to-be-swayed prohibitionists will be able to refute the science behind this, so you will again have to revert to your tried and true way of dealing with the truth: Ignore It.
Let me ask you this: if science provedthat smoking Marijuana caused lung cancer, or made you an inherent danger while operating machinery, or was highly addictive, caused strokes, etc... would you still smoke it? Would you continue to be negligent and get on forums with large reader bases and ask those people to harm themselves too?

Or would you chose to ignore the science?

Old 07-18-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Let me ask you this: if science provedthat smoking Marijuana caused lung cancer, or made you an inherent danger while operating machinery, or was highly addictive, caused strokes, etc... would you still smoke it? Would you continue to be negligent and get on forums with large reader bases and ask those people to harm themselves too?

Or would you chose to ignore the science?
What?

I assume from the part bolded above that you believe I am currently being negligent by posting on this forum?

I would think that my compassion for Allie would tend to illustrate that I am not the type to "ask people to harm themselves". Your question is non-sequitur.

I would like to turn it around. If science proved it does not cause lung cancer, does not cause strokes , and is not highly addictive, would you still pound that drum, trying to get all cannabis users incarcerated?

Old 07-18-2016, 07:59 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,984,032 times
Quote:
What?

I assume from the part bolded above that you believe I am currently being negligent by posting on this forum?

I would think that my compassion for Allie would tend to illustrate that I am not the type to "ask people to harm themselves". Your question is non-sequitur.

I would like to turn it around. If science proved it does not cause lung cancer, does not cause strokes , and is not highly addictive, would you still pound that drum, trying to get all cannabis users incarcerated?
Im for legalization. It was a hypothetical question based on psuedo-science, which is the same as your posed question. There are two camps on this issue. Both are right and both are wrong. Pot is harmful to you yes. Pot has some possible medicinal possibilities but needs further testing and government control (it seems to do really well in helping patients with pain). The laws governing the selling, growing, using of pot are still, last time I checked, laws in most of our states. If you break those laws, then pot becomes harmful to not only your pocketbook, but also your criminal record. People kill each other over pot and drug territories. There are cartels that will behead you or dismember your family.

Pot and the distribution of it is a very sketchy proposition. You can easily die from selling pot. So to tell people it's all love and cherries is negligent IMO. Until the Feds make it legal, it's still a dangerous game to play.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:11 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
As with prohibition did not work with the drug called alcohol. It is not working with other forms of drugs.
The outcome is the same. Liberty imprisoned.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:01 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Until the Feds make it legal, it's still a dangerous game to play.
Yes, it is. And here's another observation from a state that has legalized: we have become a magnet for people who are self-treating mental and physical illnesses in lieu of legitimate health care, overwhelming our social service programs and clogging up our city streets where they harass both residents and tourists. The Sixteenth Street Mall has become a pit of indigence, and even our foothills communities are being overrun by irresponsible transients. (Cold Springs Fire, anyone?) Everybody wanted to believe that it would all work out, but that's not happening.

The people who are showing up in our cities are not occasional MJ users who live in the suburbs and hold down professional positions. They are not well-adjusted and financially stable. They are most often people who have severe issues, who lack health care insurance, and are unemployable. As job seekers, they cannot pass the drug screens that companies require for new hires seeking everything from minimum wage, fast food positions to the high-paying, white collar jobs that are increasingly necessary to get a foothold in the Front Range economy. Oh, and if ColoradoCare passes, it's only going to get worse.

Early on after the vote, I defended Colorado's decision, but I cannot do so any longer. If marijuana is to become legal, it must happen at the federal level. Colorado voters had good intentions but were blinded to the unintended consequences of legalization. It was a mistake to go it alone. That's my $.02. Do with it what you will.

Last edited by randomparent; 07-18-2016 at 09:30 AM..

Old 07-18-2016, 09:15 AM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
I'm juts going to leave this here...

if cannabis has no medicinal benefits, why is there a synthetic lab created version of it called Marinol?

CBD (Cannabidiol) found in cannabis is showing a great deal of medicinal promise. Lots of research being done on this now.

Strains are being developed that have high CBD content with very little THC, so patients don't have to get real high during treatment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies