Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 07:39 PM

29 posts, read 110,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I'm well aware. I'm a Harare/Cape Town girl. Your pictures are beautiful, if a little unbalanced.
Unbalanced? I posted pictures of the beautiful parts of an African cities. Why would I post pictures of the slums in African cities if this thread is precisely about the lack positive portray of the African continent, its many countries and cities?

I can post pictures of the Townships in Gauteng, Johannesburg, Soweto etc and also the townships of Cape Town, but what would be the point of that?

We're just trying to help people get a different image of what they are accutomed to,no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
I'd rather live in South Central or East LA or the South Bronx or West Philly or South Side Chicago or Camden or East St. Louis than Soweto or Lagos or Mogadishu or Kinshasa or Monrovia or Freetown.
That will depend on where in Kinshasa, where in Lagos, no? I dunno about Monrovia and Freetown, but in Kinshasa, if you live in Montfleury, in the District of Gombe or in hills of IPN, then there will be no reason for you to live in the West unless you have a visceral love for own country and can't bare the sight of millions of Africans.

So you’ll rather live in poor South Central and East LA or the South Bronx than in the rich areas of Lagos, Nigeria and Luanda, Angola even if you could afford it? Hmmm…it sounds like you’ve already have your mindset because there Penthouses and Mansions in those cities just like in rich Western neighborhood. But again, it’s just your opinion. Some people can’t live anywhere in Norway and Sweden despite the high standard of living and quality of life. Many of those Scandinavians buy homes in Florida just for the climate. A lot of people live France to come to the USA, and many of these Europeans go live in African countries.
Quote:
About 10% give or take, but none of them live in the kind of poverty that Africans do. Poor people in Western nations tend to have things like electricity and indoor plumbing.
Pal, poverty is poverty. The difference and relevance isn’t in details such as having electricity and indoor plumbing; what counts is the way abject poverty affect people worldwide, in the West, in the East, or in Africa. Poor people suffer and are desperate and between those millions of people, the common denominator is the same: They’re poor. I know some people in the West like to find comfort by telling themselves, even that they’re very poor, that they live better than people in China, India, and anywhere in Africa, but…this isn’t a self esteem boosting issue, it’s human condition issue.
Quote:
Staggering compared to what? Compared to most African nations (and Latin American and Former Communist nations) the murder rate in America is very low.
Compared to which African nations? I will name you South Africa for being notorious to have a high crime rate, but name me a single African country and Latin American country and former communist nation (Russia excepted) that has a higher crime than the US. And please provide sources and documentation to support your claim. It’s always interesting to learn new things. And by crime, I meant all kinds of crime, not just murders. There are more people in prisons in the United States than there are people in Equatorial Guinea and Gabon combined. And even proportionally, by the number of people in prison for 100,000 in population, the US dwarfs any nation on earth including the closest second, Russia with 627 prisoners for every 100,000 people. The US has 751 people in prison or jail for every 100,000 in population.

I don’t know why you overlooked that I included rate of depression, suicide, divorced and drug abuse. I was merely trying to demonstrate that there are other issues other than wealth and poverty that affect many societies, and the richest society on earth is affected by all sorts of problem. Individual right to civil liberty and the pursuit of happiness, isn’t what America all about? You can’t argue or prove that despite being far richer, people in this society are happier than on other area around the globe.

The United States has less than 5 percent of the world's population. But it has almost a quarter of the world's prisoners.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/23/wo....12253738.html

Quote:
It is to an extent. I knew an Ethiopian man who would comment extensively on it. He would also point out that when people think they have it bad or have seen some horrible things that they were dead wrong. I would also like to mention that he was a war veteran by 16.
That’s anecdotal. I know many people in Brazzaville, Libreville, Kinshasa etc who would never come here in the US to live because they are well off and have everything they need. What you’re arguing is the significant portion of the population that lives below the poverty line, and no one would dispute you on this. But again, those are very poor and new countries even. How old is Nigeria? There’s a rich elite and middle class population in Ethiopia, no? There’s an elite class in the ex-Zaire and anywhere else in the world.
Quote:
I have to agree with you here.
Oh, so finally, we agree on something. Look: I am not trying to write a term paper for a college course here, so you will have to give me more latitude and try to understand what I was trying to say. What I am trying to say is that keep telling people that Africa is poor, Africans are “backwards” etc doesn’t help humanity. We get it, it’s poor, there’s endemic violence, but it’s time for the people who say this to offer some solution. Would you keep telling a child that he is illiterate or you would help him to learn how to read and write? That’s the only problem I have with such criticism of the African continent because most of the time, they are not constructive and are just used to denigrate and humiliate a continent that has been suffering for 5 centuries.

Quote:
But so much of Africa fits the mold. Virtually the entire place is poor and backwards. Plus most of it suffers from epidemic crime or warfare or disease or things like having more landmines than people.
Virtually the entire place? So you would say about 90% of the continent suffer from epidemic crime or warfare? I think you confuse armed conflicts, civil war with epidemic crime…like there is in the US and Russia. I mean, the West is so organized it even has Organized crime. But you lack of precision on these issues, the fact that you’re didn’t name the African countries you have in mind and explained the complexities of the problems is an indication that you’re not very well informed on the continent and you rather have a biased and prejudiced vision of it.
Quote:
Once agin, I agree.
So you agree with me then support that negative portrayal of the entire African continent are the ones who wants to justify their overall ignorance about it? Okay then. That’s why I am here, as an African American(I became an American citizen in August) who lived in an African countries and who is very familiar with some the regions, the issues, the people etc, to give another perspective. Would you go online and tell all those people who live in Africa, Eastern Europe etc that dream about coming to the US that the United States is a paradise? Of course not. I will be your civic duty to explain to them the reality of life in America and put things in proper context. Yes, the quality of life is much higher in the US, but you must tell them that things will not be easier for them merely because they get a better job.
I mean, most sub-Saharan Africans who have access to television and have never been to the US think that once they come to the States, they will drive Bentleys like 50 cent, date models, live in big houses etc because they think that those image that sells the American dream on TV, movies, video clips etc. Why do you think so many people want to come here? So just like you would not sell them the image of the USA as heaven on earth, I can’t sucribe to that image of the African continent as hell on earth. Because, it makes people want to come to the US for the wrong reason, not being aware of certain realities and it makes Westerners not wanting to go anywhere in Africa merely because they have misconceptions.
Quote:
The corruption and warfare insure that. Investors usually base long term investments in infrastructure on more than a rumor or popular image. The fact that they will be "taxed" by corrupt civil servants, the military, and sometimes guerrilla groups does enough to discourage them.
In some case, some of that corruption and warfare was organized by the West to remove a government they didn’t like. But overall, the Africans leaders and members of the elite are responsible most of their problem and the image of the continent.
Quote:
And because a lot of it is true. Rwanda, Congo, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Burundi, Nigeria, Sudan, Ethiopia, Zimbabwe, Angola...

To name a few.
Rwanda is doing well right now, they are rebuilding their country and the economy is fairly stable. Regarding Congo, I assume you mean the Democratic Republic of Congo, right? Well, the country has the size of Western Europe and the conflict is in the East of the country. In other words, you will not travel to the South of France because there’s trouble somewhere in the Netherlands?
Sudan, it’s just Darfur, a region that has the size of France. In the capital, Khartoum, and elsewhere people are “fine”. For the rest of the countries you cited, there are problems and those problems are endemic to the world, it's not an African phenomenon.

Quote:
No, they were not "safe". They just did not have to deal with the mass rapes. They were still subject to all the other wonders (and by that I mean "pure horror") of being a resident of the Congo.
You really lost me here. You mean that being a resident of Congo systematically mean “pure horror”? Then what are the expatriate doing there? What are all those Chinese immigrants doing in the entire country? What about the Lebanese? I don’t know why people would live their own country to settle and live in a place where “pure hell” is rampant.
Hmmm, so Congo is “pure hell” for its resident, even for bank owners, CEOs, businessmen and the majority of the people who are involved in the informal economy. I am sorry, pal, I am from the Congo and you will need to explain to me what you mean by” pure hell”. If you mean poverty, well, people in the west aren’t immune to it. Just ask all these people who are homeless, who live in their car, who are riddled in debt and spend money they don’t have etc. If Congo-Kinshasa could reform it banking system and more people could get access to credit cards like here in the US, you would also get the illusion that people live very well…well in fact, they live beyond their means, little if not zero net worth.

For the rest, you actually completed some of points for me, so no need to add or attempt to refute anything. But we must agree that keep repeating what the whole worlds knows already, suspects or is accustomed to doesn't help. There are plenty of places for tourists to enjoy in African countries. There’s Morocco, there’s Kenya, there’s Tanzania, South Africa etc.

We can’t really compare the West to Africa because the West is rich, and Africa is poor, and poor people are usually desperate and often have strange behavior. In other words, don't judge an entire continent by Western standards and through western lenses. Like I've mentionned in one my post earlier, I was in Ukraine and I saw absolute poverty compared to anywhere in the West. But I don't denigrate Ukraine and on the contrary, I wish them well and wish they could enter the European Union so they can raise the standard of living. You can find the same poverty in Russia and it's horrible. So depending on your values, it's not right to focus on poverty, calling people backward and imply that they have a congenital incapacity to live in dignity.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasNJ12 View Post
The funny thing is, those cities would not be there if it was not for the White man.

And if it was not for "the White man", the word Apartheid would have never been on anyone's vocabulary, there would have been no Nazism either and there wouldn't have been millions of Africans deported to the Americas and used as slaves. Okay, If it makes you so happy, if it was not for "the White man", there would be no Dubai, no places like Tokyo and...Egyptian Pyramids???

On a more serious note, is it really difficult to write a few sentences and avoid racist connotation and displaying a superiority complex?

Why is it so difficult for some people to understand and talk about issues that go beyond black and white?

Old 11-22-2009, 09:34 PM

Pictures of Kinshasa taken from Skyscrapercity.com

Profil de l'Immeuble Gecamines

Hotel Venus

Dowtown Kinshasa

More of Dowtonwn

Newly built Future Tower by Congo Futur

Batiment Onatra

Dowtown Housing Bldgs

Immeuble SN Dowtown

Bld 30 Juin et BCDC

Bldg BCDC

Forescom Bldg (oldest dowtown)

Mausolee Nze LD Kabila

National Radio TV Bldg (RTNC)

Hotel Memling

Netherlands Embassy Bldg

Batiment de la Poste

Blvd Lumumba and Monument

kinshsa by Night - nice Pic

Bld Triomphal

Newly-used acquired buses

University Kinshasa (Unikin) Colline Inspiree

New Construction Project - Quartier bellevue

Old 11-22-2009, 09:37 PM

More of Kinshasa, capital of the Democratic Republic of Congo and largest city in sub-saharan Africa by land area and second by population after Lagos in Nigeria.

http://blogsimages.skynet.be/images_v2/002/551/428/20061019/dyn002_original_448_336_jpeg_2551428 (broken link)

New Chinese built Hospital

Quartier 1 Masina, sur le Boulevard Lumumba

Across the river from Brazaville - Kinshasa

Stade des marthyres

http://www.jacques-bassee.be/modules/galerie/images/kalina17_573.jpg (broken link)

http://img400.imageshack.us/img400/4746/kinhk8.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-22-2009, 09:54 PM

Default Modern African Shopping Centres

This is the largest and busiest mall in East Africa. Its spread over 5 floors. Official website: [url]http://www.saritcentre.com/

Junction Shopping Centre - Nairobi

This is Nairobi's newest mall, but will be surpassed by Yare Shopping Centre.

A shopping mall called "Maerua Mall" and its expansion projects in Windhoek (Namibia)

expansion works:

http://www.oryx.com.na/images/2006/aerial01sml.jpg (broken link)

http://www.oryx.com.na/images/2006/aerial02sml.jpg (broken link)

a few pics from inside the mall

http://www.oryx.com.na/images/2006/Shops1.JPG (broken link)

http://www.oryx.com.na/images/2006/Shops3.JPG (broken link)

Palms Shopping Mall, Lekki, Lagos (Largest Mall in Nigeria)
Website; http://www.thepalmsshopping.com/site/ (broken link)

RiverWalk Mall in Gaboronne (Botswana)

http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0909/csmimg/p10a.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-22-2009, 09:55 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,033,524 times
Lighten up. I'm sure you have your prejudices, too. Have you been to every corner of the world? I doubt it. So what if someone thinks there's polar bears in Antarctica? Will this diminish their quality of life? It would be one thing if this guy thought all African-Americans had good rhythm or all Asians eat only fish. There's some geographic ignorance. I have a geography minor, but I don't know everything about every place. I do my best to educate myself and not buy into stereotypes.

As for Africa well, can you say "ethnic cleansing"? How about "trival warfare"? How about genocide and religious purging? How about massive unemployment, starvation and deforestation? Africa is, unfortunately, a basket case.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:57 PM

Gateway Theatre of Shopping - Durban South Africa
Gateway :: Theatre of Shopping

Africa and the southern hemispheres largest shopping mall.

Currently 150 500m2. Expansions to make it 165 000m2 by november 2007

Has the worlds Highest indoor climbing wall, worlds only double point wave break, 25 cinemas and IMAX. Skate boarding park, go-karts, games arcades, over 60 restaurants and is the hub of a developing new town centre.

Aerial view showing size
http://www.blipsystems.com/Files/Billeder/Marketing/gateway2.gif (broken link)

The Palm Boulevard. all the empty land is now full of 7-8F buildings that have apartments, shops and offices in them

http://www.1on1.co.za/images/entertainment.jpg (broken link)

The Wavehouse at Gateway
Wave House Durban | The Royal Palace of Youth Culture

Silverbird Galleria Mall in Lagos

inside Gallery, beautiful dome

entry to the modern cineplex

Old 11-22-2009, 10:11 PM

Ghana - Cities, Landscape and People | Country Gallery

Ghana - Cities, Landscape and People | Country Gallery - SkyscraperCity

Antananarivo | Madagascar | City Gallery

Antananarivo | Madagascar | City Gallery - SkyscraperCity

MCdonalds in Africa

MCdonalds in Africa - SkyscraperCity

Democratic Republic of the Congo (1950s-1970s) | Country Gallery

Democratic Republic of the Congo (1950s-1970s) | Country Gallery - SkyscraperCity

Old 11-22-2009, 10:41 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambassadeur View Post
Unbalanced? I posted pictures of the beautiful parts of an African cities. Why would I post pictures of the slums in African cities if this thread is precisely about the lack positive portray of the African continent, its many countries and cities?

I can post pictures of the Townships in Gauteng, Johannesburg, Soweto etc and also the townships of Cape Town, but what would be the point of that?

We're just trying to help people get a different image of what they are accutomed to,no?
Because your representation is dishonest and does not reflect Africa's most important resources. City buildings don't mean anything. Yeah, they are nice, and clean, and pretty. If you want to improve Africa's image, show people the things they have forgotten about while they obsess over crime statistics. There are a lot of informal settlements, but that is part of Africa. I was talking more about the natural resources, such as the people, who for the most part are not waiting to slit your throat at every opportunity, but are good, solid hard-working people who have interesting tales to tell, and art and music to share. And most important of all, people need to be reminded of the sheer magnificence of Africa's natural beauty. Nothing compares to walking alone on a pristine, unspoilt beach with no other human for a hundred miles, or viewing animals in their natural habitat. What is more majestic than seeing a herd of 100 elephants? That is what people need to be reminded of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies