Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 03:45 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,356,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
How is giving foreign corporations equal footing to our governing authority, the ability to assail our laws (labor, environmental, occupation health, etc.) in international tribunals in order to demand money from us in compensation to them, "winning"?
Sigh. Just more nons........wait. Wheres mm4 and what have you done with him?

The TPP is a threat to our sovereignty, and provides insignificant benefits compared to our losses from it. It was written in secrecy, by business, and with no oversight on it being good for the people signing it.

Old 07-04-2016, 09:27 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,929,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
They did build a great nation, called Great Britain.
Did you miss this part; Britain, which embraced free trade in the 1840s, became so reliant on imports that a few dozen German submarines almost knocked her out of World War I. Protectionist America had to come pull her chestnuts out of the fire.

Who would protect us? We should be smart enough to NEVER have to call on others, we are America!

Old 07-04-2016, 10:43 AM

37,952 posts, read 17,848,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
They did build a great nation, called Great Britain.

Economists have learned a few things since the days of Washington and Lincoln, who would be free-traders if they had the knowledge that we do now.
Must not have learned too much if they are Keynesians. Who was an economic imbecile.
TPP is managed trade not free trade.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:10 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times
Shouldn't this be in the Elections forum since both title characters are candidates and it's about their position on an issue?

Old 07-04-2016, 11:27 AM

15,058 posts, read 8,619,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I'm for the TPP and plan on voting for Johnson. I've never voted for a liberal in my life, but we're all peas in a pod... Lol

Tariffs and protectionism do not work. Make the markets as free as possible. Yes the big corporations will have the most to gain, but it will effect the ability for small businesses to move into these countries as well.
Listen up. The TPP is the next and even bigger disaster in a long line of disastrous trade deals. When are you all going to wake the frack up? God Almighty, there is no excuse!!!

And how can you make such ridiculous statements as "tariffs and protectionism doesn't work"? How would you know? You've never seen it used! You're just parroting the mainstream propaganda, without a moment of critical thinking.

The term itself, "protection" is now a dirty word in the minds of the lunatic left, as if one should not even try to protect themselves, American jobs and industry. Damn, George Orwell had you folks in mind when he wrote 1984. Don't protect the borders, that's bigotry. Don't protect American interests, that's protectionism. Don't protect your home, just leave the door open ... don't protect your car, just leave the keys in it ... someone might need it

The deliberate dumbing down plan, initiated decades ago has apparently worked beyond the planners wildest dreams.

Quote:
Trump speaks out of both sides of his mouth, on one side he wants other countries to open their markets to the US, but he wants to close our markets to them. Sorry, that's not going to happen. The TPP is not perfect, but it's better then the market restrictions that exist now, and I don't believe Trump can negotiate better deals.
How would you know, since you do not understand one word the man has said?

You know, you can't win a game of chess, by using a checkers logic, get it?

Let me give you a very simple scenario, and see if you can predict the obvious outcome, OK?

Let's talk avocados. Our free trade agreement with Mexico regarding avocados allows the free, unencumbered access to both our populations for the other's avacados. Fair, free, no restrictions. Sounds fair to you, aye? Can you foresee the result? Let me help you .... the American avacados farmer just died, the moment that agreement was signed. He has to contend with FDA RULES, labor laws and costs ... making his avacados cost .15 a piece to produce, and .3 to pack and ship. The Mexican avacados farmer, free of such cost increasing issues can produce the same avacados for .5 each, deliver to our market for .7 each. Why would you pay .50 for an American avacado, if you can buy a Mexican one for .30? All the while the profit margin for the Mexican avacado is 77%, while the American one is 70% if he could sell it (which he can't). So he is forced to compete by selling it at a matching price of .30 .... which is only a 40% profit!!!! How long do you think American avacados will remain available? Not very long. And once they are GONE, the Mexican avacado will ultimately increase in price to .50, due to lack of competition, raking in a whopping 86% profit, all going south of the border.

Good deal if you are Mexico, very bad if you are America or an American farmer.

Aside from the OBVIOUS short term economic implications, the long term consequences of this applied across the agricultural industry as a whole, kills off the American farming industry, leaving the American people totally dependent on foreign nations just for the food necessary to survive. Can you think of better leverage a country might possess than for another country to be completely dependent on them just for survival?

Apply that to the steel industry, and manufacturing .... let China attain the monopoly on steel production. Then find yourself in a conflict with China. Think they are going to continue providing the enemy with the steel needed to "PROTECT OURSELVES"? Get rid of the gun manufacturing industry, as the leftists so want to do ... think Russia will provide us with AK47'S for our defense?

The list could go on and on. The outcome is the same. You are either for "protectionism" (self defense), or you are for the elimination of nation States, (including OUR United States,) to be replaced by the globalist model.

Only in our New America do we now have a significant portion of the population suffering such mental illness as to cheer their own god damned destruction, parroting useless platitudes like "protectionism".

Call it what it really is ... economic viability and survival by means of economic self defense. Take your pick .... do you want to survive and prosper, or do you want to lay down and die? Better figure it out .... quickly.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:35 AM

39,190 posts, read 27,570,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I'm for the TPP and plan on voting for Johnson. I've never voted for a liberal in my life, but we're all peas in a pod... Lol

Tariffs and protectionism do not work. Make the markets as free as possible. Yes the big corporations will have the most to gain, but it will effect the ability for small businesses to move into these countries as well.

Trump speaks out of both sides of his mouth, on one side he wants other countries to open their markets to the US, but he wants to close our markets to them. Sorry, that's not going to happen. The TPP is not perfect, but it's better then the market restrictions that exist now, and I don't believe Trump can negotiate better deals.
We are now guided economically by the agreements we signed. We must be our own masters. We must run our own country for our own benefit, which we, because of our agreements with the WTO and NAFTA, are not allowed to do.

It is time we started negotiating new trade deals with these foreign nations, ones that will benefit American workers and American employers. We need new deals that will make it profitable to manufacture and produce in the United States again. If we do not, our nation may never recover from the damage we are doing to ourselves.

give me a good reason why there should not be tariff on foreign imports. If I were in charge, I'd add 20% tariff on Japanese, German, Chinese, European, Korean, Vietnamess, Mexican imports.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:45 AM

15,058 posts, read 8,619,636 times
PS to the previous post

Our founding fathers included provisions under the Constitution the imposition of tariffs for good reasons. These "protections" are just as critical to National Security as is our military. Tariffs, and fair trade mechanisms are the necessay weapons of economic defense as are guns, tanks, ships and jets for military defense.

To disarm the military would leave us just as defenseless and subject to invasion and occupation, as would be to disarm ourselves of the tools for economic self defense. A nation can be destroyed economically, just as it can be with bombs.

So for all of you who have swallowed this nonsense about the uselessness of economic "protectionism", you might just as well advocate the elimination of the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines.

Dead is dead. Conquered is conquered, whether it be military or economic defeat.

So, what were you all saying about tariffs?

Old 07-04-2016, 12:00 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,882,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
We are now guided economically by the agreements we signed. We must be our own masters. We must run our own country for our own benefit, which we, because of our agreements with the WTO and NAFTA, are not allowed to do.

It is time we started negotiating new trade deals with these foreign nations, ones that will benefit American workers and American employers. We need new deals that will make it profitable to manufacture and produce in the United States again. If we do not, our nation may never recover from the damage we are doing to ourselves.

give me a good reason why there should not be tariff on foreign imports. If I were in charge, I'd add 20% tariff on Japanese, German, Chinese, European, Korean, Vietnamess, Mexican imports.
Good Post. Being in the Import & Export Business SA puts very Heavy Tariffs on American Goods.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:02 PM

39,190 posts, read 27,570,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Good Post. Being in the Import & Export Business SA puts very Heavy Tariffs on American Goods.
Yeah, I hear you.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:06 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,014 times
Yep... Nobodies happy.

Trump and Sanders are sort of the same, in a lot of ways. Republicans were fed up of their leadership going on about illegal immigration, and small government, and state's rights then just refusing to pass a budget proposal in congress and hanging out with people like Kim Davis. So they went with Donald. Not really saying anything different, but he says it louder and more angrily and since he's not a politician, people think he'll do better.

Democrats were fed up with their leadership talking about standing up for individuals and fighting poverty and instead make videos with Buzz Feed and secretly endorse bills that go against those values. So, Bernie shows up saying things more aggressively (very different style than Trump, but similar premise) and having had a consistent record.

Both are side effects of a people who are no longer satisfied with their establishment. While I think economically, Bernie is a little too far to the left for my taste, I still would have voted him over Hillary for his consistency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.