Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 04:53 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times

Advertisements

Some things you vote for just because it is the right thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 04:55 AM

244 posts, read 168,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Some things you vote for just because it is the right thing to do.

Yeah, because being at the bottom of the economic ladder is always the best place to be.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:43 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Mr Obama, the most powerful black man in the world, certainly supports it, to the detriment of other blacks.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:02 AM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
What does partisanship have anything to do with what I said?

Except for one thing: It is up to the employer to hire and fire. If an immigrant is being hired over a Black person, then technically, there is no theft going on. That is one person being preferred over another. The question is WHY immigrants might be favored over Blacks?
The same reason many employers prefer them over white people - they work for less and are essentially unable to object to poor working conditions. If they are on a work visa, they can't just quit unless they could be assured of getting another job. They're being taken advantage of.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:21 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So it has to benefit blacks in order for them to get involved in the illegal immigration issue? I'm beyond words with that thought process. Even if blacks wouldn't benefit (which isn't true anyway) shouldn't they as Americans stand up for the rule of law?

There is no need to mass deport illegal aliens. Just remove all of the incentives for them to remain here. The 700 mile wall already approved by congress would help the Border Patrol immensely and cut back on illegal immigration and that should be the goal. No one has said that the only illegal aliens here are Latinos but the fact is that 80% of them are. There have been proposals by the GOP to deter illegal immigration. All the Democrats want is amnesty though and that is no viable solution.

Where is this so-called racism in this issue?
I never said it had to "benefit blacks." I said that I, as a black person, will not back idiocy and racist rhetoric and will not support said rhetoric against Latinos, so I will not support the right in their fight against illegal immigration unless it is from a more balanced, moderate view via the types of actions I specifically mentioned (a re-defining of birthright citizenship ALONG with an amnesty inclusive of fines/military service as payment for breaking the law). I am not a person who believes in generalizations of entire demographics and I especially don't because I am well versed in the history of black Americans and how we were and still are generalized.

In regards to the red bold, you can look in the "Illegal Immigration" subforum for some insight into that question. It is rife with ethic generalizations about "illegals" and "Hispanics" especially. I do not align myself with vast, negative generalizations and from where I stand the vast majority of those on the right are too focused on the ethnicity portion of the illegal immigrants and are more about getting "their way" versus compromising with the left and moving forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
What does an article from 2010 have to do with this matter still not being relevant? Did I miss that the border is sealed and illegal's stopped pouring over our border, taking jobs from blacks and whites, especially blacks disproportionately as the data shows?

Yes, these forums are about opinions/views, I think most of us know that.
On the bold, it is not relevant due to the economic and job situation for black people today is not what it was 6 years ago. In 2010 there was a huge increase in unemployed Americans as a whole. Black Americans, as always suffer more during down economic situations and so the situation was much more dire for black Americans regarding employment then versus now. As you and others have stated, illegal immigrants are still here. Even as more black people have become employed, the illegal immigrants are still here. IMO illegal immigrants don't have the affect on the black populace as you all want to act like it does. The disproportionate hiring is based moreso on bias versus illegal immigrants. As has been stated in the thread, illegal immigrants can be taken advantage of versus an American citizen. Black Americans are well known in our culture for ensuring we "get paid" and we get paid what we are supposed to get paid and if we are not we will make a huge fuss about it. All the comedians you hear who make jokes about this are both funny and very true in most instances. We cannot be taken advantage of by construction employees or big agricultural outfits. We also are viewed from a negative perspective by many employers just because we are black. Both of these makes the "jobs" explanation you are all trying to push on blacks just silly to me.

Again most black Americans are working to middle class. A huge amount of us, including probably every black person who posted on this thread work in positions of which an illegal immigrant would never be able to "take our job." Practically everyone I know, even those who make way less money than me are in a similar fashion. The only jobs that illegal immigrants can get are in poor working conditions (restaurants, large nasty factories) or construction jobs where they get shafted on wages, benefits, and insurance. FWIW, I used to be a project manager for construction on federally funded projects and I had to go out and interview random employees to ensure they were getting paid what they said they were getting paid. I have interviewed many illegal immigrants in my day and they usually were afraid to talk to me, those that did said that if they answered my questions about their wages and "the boss" found out they would get fired. Many of them I knew were "prepped" in regards to their answers. The general contractors were just pocketing the extra wages the workers were supposed to get. I would not want a black person to work in a similar capacity to where they were taken advantage of in that way. Instead, I encouraged talented black people to start their own general contracting company and I would let them know of bid opportunities. On all the projects I oversaw we had minority owned businesses, primarily black owned businesses over 40% of the time as subcontractors.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:40 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Mr Obama, the most powerful black man in the world, certainly supports it, to the detriment of other blacks.
So you care about the "detriment of blacks" all of a sudden?
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
People also seem to ignore the fact that the Civil Rights movement was going on since the end of the Civil War. The NAACP for example was founded in 1909. Martin Luther King wasn't the only Civil Rights leader unlike what most people seem to believe. Essentially, civil rights were ignored until the end of WWII when racism for some completely unknown reasons became extremely unfashionable in the Western world.
Yep!

Old 07-06-2016, 01:44 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,557,052 times
Quote:
People also seem to ignore the fact that the Civil Rights movement was going on since the end of the Civil War. The NAACP for example was founded in 1909. Martin Luther King wasn't the only Civil Rights leader unlike what most people seem to believe. Essentially, civil rights were ignored until the end of WWII when racism for some completely unknown reasons became extremely unfashionable in the Western world.

You are jesting about this part aren't you?

Old 07-06-2016, 01:48 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
You are jesting about this part aren't you?
Telling the truth = jesting.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:17 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Never said that I speak for all blacks,
Yes you did. Obama teach you to lie like that?

Quote:
but between us two, it's no contest. I can speak for them better than you can.
No you can't. You're ignorant and don't have the backbone to stand up to corruption no matter which side does it.

Quote:
You can't speak for them at all.
I never said I speak for them. That's another thing you've made up because you refuse to discuss the truth.

Quote:
I can speak for myself, which is one black person.
Which is it? You speak for one person or you speak for blacks. hahahaha keep talking long enough and you prove your own thought process is garbage.

Quote:
You can't speak for even that number.
Again What is the difference between what blacks want and what whites want? You wont answer that because that will prove you as a fraud falsely playing the race card.

Quote:
So that pretty much settles that.
It was settled when you exposed your racist tendencies.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:19 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
President Grant is overlooked on this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies