Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 11:30 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Well, no, the federal government also plays a huge role there. The EPA is not a state entity. So the government allows these things to be introduced into the environment and then creates the process for them to thrive.
Ah, the EPA which everyone wants to kill. They got the sugar plantations to stop the back-pumping into the lake. South Florida Water Management District was actually authorized to buy the sugar plantations in a certain area, so the water could be released over land, which would make it filter through the swamp, but they let the deal expire. Rick Scott does not want to spend the money, and instead he always does two things when this happens: he declares the state of emergency, and then he blames Obama. He says that if Obama had fixed the dyke, the lake could hold more water. He does not realize no one had come up with a plan, or even tried to, which would increase the size of the lake.

We have lost 40% of the oyster beds, and no one wants to roll up their sleeves and fix the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 11:47 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Ah, the EPA which everyone wants to kill.
You can try and divert my argument if you want to......

Quote:
They got the sugar plantations to stop the back-pumping into the lake. South Florida Water Management District was actually authorized to buy the sugar plantations in a certain area, so the water could be released over land, which would make it filter through the swamp, but they let the deal expire. Rick Scott does not want to spend the money, and instead he always does two things when this happens: he declares the state of emergency, and then he blames Obama. He says that if Obama had fixed the dyke, the lake could hold more water. He does not realize no one had come up with a plan, or even tried to, which would increase the size of the lake.

We have lost 40% of the oyster beds, and no one wants to roll up their sleeves and fix the problem.
So, are you agreeing with what I said?

Old 07-05-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
You can try and divert my argument if you want to...... So, are you agreeing with what I said?
Did you say something about the governor or South Florida Water Management?

Old 07-05-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Did you say something about the governor or South Florida Water Management?
I'll take that as a yes.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I'll take that as a yes.
I agree that the EPA is not a State entity. They are one of the many entities who could roll up their sleeves, but are not doing it. You pointing your finger at one entity is exactly what everyone is doing. Everyone points a finger at others and in the end nothing gets done.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I agree that the EPA is not a State entity. They are one of the many entities who could roll up their sleeves, but are not doing it. You pointing your finger at one entity is exactly what everyone is doing. Everyone points a finger at others and in the end nothing gets done.
I'm not. I was pointing out that this is NOT simply a state thing.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:28 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
It happens. It has always happened. We had an algea bloom on the Ohio River last year. Authorities were screaming like the world was ending.

It quit and nothing really actually happened. This isn't some new phenomenon.
In regards to this and the topic at hand. I live in NW Ohio and an algae bloom in 2014 caused us not to be able to drink or bathe in the water for about 3 days and it affected about 500k people in this area.

Algae blooms can affect major sources of clean drinking water - like Lake Erie, which is affected by this every year, is a HUGE issue being that algae causes toxins that can cause people illnesses or death to the very young or old or with compromised immune systems. There are multiple toxins in algae that many water treatment facilities cannot remove. Our area in undergoing a multi-million dollar upgrade based solely on this issue of our water treatment plant.

Algae blooms have not "always" happened. They are a result of sewage and fertilizer runoff into our fresh water systems and they are indicative of extreme pollution from various sources and most pointedly fertilizer run-offs.

The feds do need to be involved IMO because all of our fresh water systems are connected in some way. The Ohio River connects to many waterways and pollution of it can cause issues in many riversheds and creek beds.

Where I live the Maumee River flows through the area and the issues we have with algae blooms actually are not even caused wholly by our area, they are caused by river pollutants in the Detroit River and the Maumee River by various cities, including Detroit MI, Fort Wayne IN, and Toledo OH (and other smaller cities/communities) dumping their untreated sewage into rivers, which in turn pollute Lake Erie. So it does require a federal effort IMO. Upgrading sewer runoff systems (which I do know is occurring in Toledo) is a very costly measure and would help the condition of Lake Erie and controlling the algae blooms.

Not sure if fertilizer run off is the huge issue down in FL like it is made out to be, but here in Ohio they also point the fingers at farmers for this issue and even though they do have a hand in it, the city sewage is a much larger factor in this occurring versus the farmers. Not sure if they have an issue with sewage down in FL like we have in the Lake Erie area.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I'm not. I was pointing out that this is NOT simply a state thing.
No one said it was, but finger pointing won't resolve the problem. If the State, or DC had the political will to resolve it, it would have been resolved a long time ago.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:29 PM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Ah, the EPA which everyone wants to kill. They got the sugar plantations to stop the back-pumping into the lake. South Florida Water Management District was actually authorized to buy the sugar plantations in a certain area, so the water could be released over land, which would make it filter through the swamp, but they let the deal expire. Rick Scott does not want to spend the money, and instead he always does two things when this happens: he declares the state of emergency, and then he blames Obama. He says that if Obama had fixed the dyke, the lake could hold more water. He does not realize no one had come up with a plan, or even tried to, which would increase the size of the lake.

I am in Florida and attest to that! he ramps about how he saving people from paying taxes-- not people corporations - while the rest suffer. In this case the FED should NOT pay for the beaches- and loss of tourist. Whose runoff it is-- let them pay-

Old 07-05-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Not sure if fertilizer run off is the huge issue down in FL like it is made out to be, but here in Ohio they also point the fingers at farmers for this issue and even though they do have a hand in it, the city sewage is a much larger factor in this occurring versus the farmers. Not sure if they have an issue with sewage down in FL like we have in the Lake Erie area.
In FL, its not just run-off, they use massive pumps to pump the polluted water into the lake. Its against the Clean Water Act, but no one seems to give a rip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies