Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 08:23 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,116,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
What's miraculous about another statist declaration used by the ruling elite to enslave the peasants?
Modern living standards? Kinda real easy to act self righteous when you are standing on top of a lot of other people's work over the centuries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 08:36 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,356,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
He defends the federalists, defends Lincoln, mentions "anarchy" as if it's a terrible thing, and repeats the false idea that the U.S. is a country of freedom and liberty. It used to be, relative to the rest of the world, but not anymore.
Yes but "relative" freedom is still a state of bondage when you have to answer to a master.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:42 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,354,214 times
Quote:
Yes but "relative" freedom is still a state of bondage when you have to answer to a master.
Of course I'm not going statist on you.. haha

Old 07-04-2016, 10:53 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,693,961 times
I think there should be changes made to it (Outside of the Bill of Rights). Also there should be new Ammendments and other Ammendment altered. Such as:
It is a right for every US citizen, legal immigrant, and those on VISAS to have health insurance. It is the role of the Goverment to ensure every US citizen has healthcare. That healthcare is a right of US citizens, which falls to the State to fund and ensure residents of their State receive this care. It is also to the State to fund and tax accordingly.

Abortion shall remain legal. It is not the place of the Goverment to have any influence in what a woman can do. There shall be no religious bias by the Goverment in regards to Abortions. Abortions ensure the health and safety of the woman. However, it is the role of the State to ensure alternative methods are easily accessible.

Marijuana is legal and no longer prohibited. Individuals currently incarcerated for marijuana use will have their sentences reduced accordingly.

It is the right of merchabts to conduct business and deny services to individuals, as long as does not violate State or local laws in doing so. Individuals associated with the Goverment or local municipalities must adhere to a non bias viewpoint. Additionally, healthcare organizations must not deny treatment to anyone, but private healthcare organizations can decide what services they want to provide.

Businesses cannot ask individuals looking to hire their past criminal records.

Abolish the death penalty.

Prostution shall be legal.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:00 PM

21,467 posts, read 10,568,098 times
Quote:
He defends the federalists, defends Lincoln, mentions "anarchy" as if it's a terrible thing, and repeats the false idea that the U.S. is a country of freedom and liberty. It used to be, relative to the rest of the world, but not anymore.
It's still more free than any other country. Hate speech is criminalized in Europe and Canada.

http://www.salon.com/2010/03/22/canada_5/

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2014...itter-facebook

Last edited by katygirl68; 07-04-2016 at 11:31 PM..

Old 07-04-2016, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
It's still more free than any other country.
I don't think it is actually. It used to be that way, but now the U.S. has tons of laws and regulations on every part of people's lives...a lot more than most countries if I remember correctly.

It has the reputation of being a free country because it was founded on limiting the government and emphasizing individual liberty, but over the years, especially since the early 1900's, the U.S. really isn't all that different than the rest of the world anymore. The principles that made it unique have mostly gone out the window.

But you are right on hate speech, and I'd say guns as well. Free speech and the right to bear arms have survived so far.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:37 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,143,696 times
You can't 'fundamentally change America (into a 3rd world repressive regime)" without destroying the Constitution.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:43 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,356,148 times
Quote:
I don't think it is actually. It used to be that way, but now the U.S. has tons of laws and regulations on every part of people's lives...a lot more than most countries if I remember correctly.

It has the reputation of being a free country because it was founded on limiting the government and emphasizing individual liberty, but over the years, especially since the early 1900's, the U.S. really isn't all that different than the rest of the world anymore. The principles that made it unique have mostly gone out the window.

But you are right on hate speech, and I'd say guns as well. Free speech and the right to bear arms have survived so far.
You had that response coming after saying the U.S. used to be "more free".

I know what you mean but these statists still think you can rationalize your way to freedom with the state. It's the equivalent of getting a bank robber with a gun to hand over his loot because you asked him nicely.

Don't encourage them.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:15 AM

Quote:
You had that response coming after saying the U.S. used to be "more free".

I know what you mean but these statists still think you can rationalize your way to freedom with the state. It's the equivalent of getting a bank robber with a gun to hand over his loot because you asked him nicely.

Don't encourage them.
Haha I sometimes wonder if I should baby step people in the right direction or just go straight up truth on them. I feel like most people will tune me out if I get too far out of their comfort zone.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:41 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,442,995 times
Although the US Constitution is definitely a very important piece of history, inspiring many other like it around the world, I always felt that the US Constitution ensures almost constant gridlock in the political process except during times of crisis when one of the two parties gets a supermajority and begins jamming things through

I think that would be its only downside. A parliamentary system is far more superior
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies