Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 12:45 PM

596 posts, read 428,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
My motivation for wanting everyone to be scared...now that is priceless, and what I would expect....

there have been reports of vans waiting in front or near schools....

I saw this and instead of "SCARING" people, lets wake the heck up and teach our kids what to look for, and what to do, in the event this might happen.

Our world is no longer as safe as it used to be....and as I suggested before, it's easy to diss it, until it happens in your community....right, or maybe your neighbor, your neice, or worse, your own child.
That is the trouble with our society today, we're sheep, unless it happens to us, we continue grazing...

I was looking for a constructive discussion on what we could do as parents, to our children to help protect them....but I can see, it falls on deaf ears....

I want to scare everyone????? Geeze Louise?

Have you ever done a fire drill in your home with your kids?
Does your family know what to do?

Same thing...prepare for what may never happen...but knowledge is power.

Good grief, are you going to make a point or just scoff yourself to death?

Lots of reports of vans waiting in front of WHICH schools? WHERE? And, are talking about recently or what? E-V-I-D-E-N-C-E.

No kidding, teach your kids. Who doesn't teach their kids (don't answer that). My wife and my parenting philosophy is summed up thusly; "Prepare your child for the path, not the path for your child".

Falls on deaf ears? Why are you being so overly dramatic? You can see, with data representation, that crime is falling. I even provided a source to show that kidnappings are falling as well, and that many of them come from family. Have you taught your kids to prepare for being kidnapped by a relative?

Come on.

And what "thinking" do we need to change? Shouldn't we be looking at the data? Preparing for the most likely event for our own situation? Someone watches a video and all of the sudden "we need to change".

There's your dialogue. What are you proposing we do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 12:47 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,740,370 times
As long as it is "legal" for the government, the majority, the collective, or lobbyists, to initiate force upon the individual, we will always be a nation of aggression, violence, and immorality.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:01 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Don't know if this is the correct forum for this discussion however, if it isn't please change....

Our country is no longer the same it was, and maybe will never be again....we've opened our borders to all kinds of criminals and one of them are, the uprise in child theft....

We've got to change our way of thinking and stop feeling as if we're safe and our children are safe, we are not...at any given time, this could happen to you or someone you know. I think it's important to teach kids how to protect themselves and fight....

Please watch and add your comments....

http://6abc.com/news/terrifying-kidn...video/1415383/
You are right. The country is no longer the same as it was. Violent crime, including kidnapping rates, continue to decline.

We are however substantially more aware of crime because of the 24/7 news cycle and Internet.

In this case, the would be kidnapper is Terry Ransom (24). The surname is Middle English. No clue where he was born.

Illegal immigration became a tidal wave in the 80's. The can has been kicked for 30 years.

Thank you for the reminder to be watchful over our children.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
no it isn't dropping.....
Quote:
no it isn't dropping.....but if that's what you want to believe in your almost non-existent caring stance, so be it.
You are simply more aware of it than at any point in history thanks to the 24/7 news cycle and Internet.

As has already been stated, most kidnappings are a result of custody disputes or runaway teens, not abductions by strangers.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottPlake View Post
the only trend going upwards that I've seen from data are that murder rates are spiking, but that's mostly in bigger cities agitated by "something".

Do you have a source for the overall crime rate increasing?
And despite these spikes, rates remain well below previous peaks.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
As long as it is "legal" for the government, the majority, the collective, or lobbyists, to initiate force upon the individual, we will always be a nation of aggression, violence, and immorality.
So long as the country is inhabited by humans and animals there will be aggression and violence. Morals reflect human culture and are variable.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:35 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
Well, crime rates have fallen quite a bit from the highs of the 1990's, but they are nowhere near what they had been in the past. And violent crime has increased modestly the last couple years.

But in my opinion, I think what has so many people bothered, is where the crime is happening.

I think in the past, the vast-majority of crime was basically bottled-up in poor areas of major cities. People who lived in the country, and even people who lived in the suburbs, were pretty safe.

For some reference, if we think of drugs; In the past, most of the drugs, and the drug-dealers, were located in the ghettos. Now, drugs are everywhere. The countryside is full of drugs(especially meth), and the suburbs are full of drugs(pain pills, marijuana, cocaine, heroine, etc).

This means that crime has become more diffused. And instead of feeling safe in your all-white suburb. Which was the byproduct of 1960's and 1970's "white-flight". You increasingly don't feel safe anywhere.

Throw on top of that a culture of immorality, which appears to be degenerating, and from the outside, it certainly feels like things must be getting worse.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:45 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
Let me add also; As urban areas have "gentrified", it has further pushed the poorer residents out of the urban centers into the suburbs. Which is part of the cause of the diffusion of crime. I know in the town I grew up in, you've seen a huge wave of people moving in from "the city". It was nearly 100% white working-class when I was younger, but now the older areas of town, have been almost-completely taken over by Mexicans and blacks, with some white-trash thrown in.

The McDonald's which was my first job when I was 16, at that time, was nearly all white people, and the evening shift was mostly kids from my high school. Now almost everyone who works there is Mexican, and can barely speak English.

Even if crime rates aren't going up, it certainly feels like crime, and drugs, and other social ills, have been brought closer to home. At least for the average working-class family.

Old 07-06-2016, 02:03 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,740,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
So long as the country is inhabited by humans and animals there will be aggression and violence. Morals reflect human culture and are variable.
Of course there are always animals posing as human beings who impose their will upon others through force, that is a given...

However, to institutionalize aggression through government force, is to expand and justify aggression and violence throughout "society". To "legalize" aggression and violence of one group upon another, "democracy", is to turn the populace into barbaric bands of thugs battling each other with violence, coercion, and violence. (Of course they claim to be innocent of crime, because they contract their evil upon their neighbor out to government thugs...)

Old 07-06-2016, 02:56 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times
Quote:
no it isn't dropping.....
Back it up or you lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies