Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 08:44 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
The Walmart culture has become the reflection of American culture, sorry if you don't like the reality of that.
May I add that Walmart became the largest US employer in the 80's.

The writing has been on the wall for decades.

No shortage of people of both races who blame government and large corporations, instead of holding themselves responsible which has become generational.

Employment in US coal mines peaked in the 1920's. Technology substitution has eliminated more jobs than anything else.

Steel Mill employment peaked in the 60's before global competition set in. Today, 2 workers can produce what it used to take 12 workers to do.

Both nominees are now talking about increasing the Federal Minimum Wage. Nothing suggests Congress is going to play ball regardless of which nominee is elected.

The higher the wage, the less competitive the US becomes in the global market and the more likely it makes sense for business to invest in technology more productive than humans and/or offshore more jobs.

This is a global situation and no easy answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
When someone walks into a store minding their own business, they shouldn't be the target of insults in public.

That can be extremely traumatizing to people and, in certain cases, triggering of past and pre existing traumas and memories of negative encounters.

If you see a stranger in public, no matter how they look or what they're doing (as long as it's not illegal), keep your mouth and leave them alone if you have something negative to say.

People are not walking around just to be on the receiving end of your judgements and negative commentary.

And if you get punched in the face because you had to say or point out something negative about a stranger within earshot of them, good. You deserved it.
The only thing any of us really control are our own reactions.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:50 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,821,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeys_00 View Post
Blacks. Of course. Once again a good reason to move somewhere they aren't.
Don't beat around the bush. Tell us how you really feel.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
Oh bs. I was insulted by a much older stranger who was white and trying to impress his young gf in a pet smart in an upscale area of nj. The guy didn't even know me and I was just minding my own business. The only reason I didn't call a manager because it was such an unbelievable thing to say it didn't even register to me what happened until about five minutes later when he had already left the store.

It's not just the "ghetto".. There's instigators and garbage everywhere and of every ethnicity.
Indeed.

Having said this, I cannot imagine dragging in a store manager to intervene because a customer chose to remark about another customer.

I choose not to give any power to other people's remarks and take no offence.

The remarks are a reflection of the speaker, his/her own lack of respect for themselves and have nothing to do with me.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:56 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Walmart will turn a decent neighborhood into a ghetto.
Right and all those mom and pop business pay MICH more then minimum wage and provide GREAT benefits.

If you believe they do, I ave a bridge to sell you.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Walmart = ghetto store.
The 2 Wal-Marts by me are NOT Ghetto stores.

Ghetto stores are in Ghetto areas which were ghetto areas BEFORE Wal-Mart opened there.

Your "broad brush" is not accurate.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
That sounds like a typical day at Walmart, such a great reflection of this country.
That sounds like a typical ignorant claim.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:04 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,755,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanker View Post
Gosh, however did I guess there were non-white people involved.
Right because white people never cause any problems. Are people really this ignorant?

Old 07-29-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
But let's not act your average ghetto Walmart is the same as a store in a non-ghetto area.

Here's a brawl at a ghetto Walmart around here last year:

Fight at Charlotte Walmart captured on video | The Charlotte Observer
Funny that you WON'T find Wal-Mart "brawls" in EVERY store in the country that has MILLIONS of customers EVERY DAY!

Old 07-29-2016, 09:07 AM

381 posts, read 177,199 times
Do these clowns work for a living? Likely not. No respect for other people's property and with nothing to lose--what a dangerous combination.

The closest Walmart by me is in a well-to-do city and I've never had any problems there or seen anything like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies