Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2016, 01:23 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Go back to your own quote. Own up to what YOU said. Don't bring others into it.

I said it, and it was a figure of speech...trying to show that you need to listen to the officer. I guess I need to be a little more literal for some...

Old 07-13-2016, 01:23 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Who said that they're connected. Everyone understands that they're two separate cases.

That said, the one in Baton Rouge STILL gets my goat. I don't care if he was a felon or that he had an illegal gun. The gun was in his pocket, the owner of the store liked him and as a character witness has said that he was a good guy that had his permission to sell his wares. He also said that he saw an execution.

So no, some of us aren't gonna let up on the Louisiana case just because his weapon wasn't registered. Hell no. I want answers. I'm with BLM until I find a reason not to be.
I would rather you be with reasonable people asking reasonable questions.... rather than "Being with BLM"

your questions above are reasonable. I don't even have to agree to recognize they are reasonable.

but being with BLM? that's no different from someone like me saying im with the "kill'em all" crowd.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:24 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I've only been ticketed twice, but I've never told the officer I'm carrying. Why? Because I'm not legally required to in my state, and because it complicates things. Some officers are cool with it (and may even let you off on a warning), but others will insist on you getting out of the vehicle, disarming, and checking the gun.

I support law enforcement most of the time, but this whole attitude of "just do what they say" sounds a little too familiar to events that occurred in the 1940s.

It's the law in my state. Not much I can do about that.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:24 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
We do not know if the officer freaked out other than his emotion after the shooting. I'm not going to judge that anymore than judging the girlfriends apparent lack of emotion while she continued to live stream. Both were traumatized and people react differently to trauma.

All we know is something went terribly wrong. Whether it was miscommunication or failure to give clear orders or failure to follow them. Beyond that it has not been established if there was a failure of communication/compliance who was at fault. Wait for the investigation.
Nope. I'm not waiting on an investigation. Forget it.

Blacks have been told that their gun rights are as valid as any white man's. So a black man gets a weapon legally, and he gets killed.

Nah...EFF THAT! Forget the investigation. I want a head on a pike, and that officer needs to get his neck ready for a saw.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:25 PM

17,411 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
The blurry black thing looks like the parking brake to me.
Okay - that's just ridiculous.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:27 PM

1,323 posts, read 588,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Please note, I am not making any inference as to Mr. Castile's actions.

I do believe that even if Mr. Castile reached for something and the police responded appropriately based on his training, that a different outcome could have been arrived at, where both the police officer and Mr. Castile went home safely had the training included de-escalation practices..
That's a good point. I wonder what the threshold is for deadly force vs de-escalation. This is sort of a tangent, but a officer wouldn't shoot at a suicidal person holding gun to their head, because there is a lower threat to the officer. So if an officer happens to see a butt of gun in the middle compartment area of a car, not in the hands of the citizen, how are they trained to handle that? And I wonder if there is a federal standard or is it determined by municipality.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:30 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I would rather you be with reasonable people asking reasonable questions.... rather than "Being with BLM"

your questions above are reasonable. I don't even have to agree to recognize they are reasonable.

but being with BLM? that's no different from someone like me saying im with the "kill'em all" crowd.
No man, not this time. I've been pretty cool and conciliatory about all these cop shootings up to now. Look up the threads. I've always been measured, and in person, I've even tried to get my own people to see things from the cop's side.

Not now. I've had it. I'm with my people on this. What happened in Minnesota has changed how I felt about this issue up to now. I'm not buying the excuses for LEO anymore.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:35 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
You don't think cops make up something to pull people over? He walked up and told them they were being stopped for a broken tail light. He's the liar, and I don't have a problem with that. If cops are looking for a robber and they want to get a closer look at a driver, fine.

What's 'busset'?

He had the proper permit:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...S2-nb30XEuRu8g
I'm not sure what "busset" is either, I was quoting the stoner chick. Do you have video (or audio) of the officer saying that the stop was for a broken tail light? Seems like an odd thing for him to claim, since it was obviously not true and would have voided any evidence found in the stop.

Thank you for providing the link to the proof of the CCW-first I've actually seen that.

To be clear-I'm not saying the cop was in the right-at this point we DON'T KNOW. We have one rather far-fetched side of the story, with nothing to support it.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No man, not this time. I've been pretty cool and conciliatory about all these cop shootings up to now. Look up the threads. I've always been measured, and in person, I've even tried to get my own people to see things from the cop's side.

Not now. I've had it. I'm with my people on this. What happened in Minnesota has changed how I felt about this issue up to now. I'm not buying the excuses for LEO anymore.

im sorry. I cant say I understand because I don't... haven't walked in your shoes. I do want to find some way forward that works...

Old 07-13-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
That's a good point. I wonder what the threshold is for deadly force vs de-escalation. This is sort of a tangent, but a officer wouldn't shoot at a suicidal person holding gun to their head, because there is a lower threat to the officer. So if an officer happens to see a butt of gun in the middle compartment area of a car, not in the hands of the citizen, how are they trained to handle that? And I wonder if there is a federal standard or is it determined by municipality.

Pretty sure this is a jurisdiction standard or at highest state level. that makes since (at least from my perspective)

the federal level generally focuses on civil rights.

I don't see it as a panacea but de-escalation training might be a good rally point for all of us.

It seems to be working in a way that protects both the police and the people they engage with. That is what we all want. less dead people. period.

I am by no means on the side that suggests there is a terrible plague going on. there are thousands of police jurisdictions across this country and less than 250 unarmed people were shot by the police last year. that is all races not just black people. and many of those were justified based on policy, procedure, training and law.

BUT every single time someone dies its a bad thing and we ought to all be able to agree that if we can find ways that protect the police AND the people they engage during the course of their job, that is a very good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies