Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2016, 02:11 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,063,396 times

Advertisements

Years ago I made a wrong way turn into a one way street. After traveling one to two tenths of a mile I turned off of the one way street. Shortly thereafter I heard the police car's siren and saw the flashing lights behind me. Knowing what was coming, I fished my drivers license out of my wallet and had it, along with both hands on the steering wheel, having already put the window down. Here is the key part. The officer asked for my registration and proof of insurance, neither of which were on line at that time.

I said, "They are in the glove compartment. May I get them? I waited until the officer said okay, then I very deliberately opened the glove compartment, retrieved the documents and gave them to the officer.

Just saying, it's about respecting law enforcement. Yeah, I'm white.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:16 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Years ago I made a wrong way turn into a one way street. After traveling one to two tenths of a mile I turned off of the one way street. Shortly thereafter I heard the police car's siren and saw the flashing lights behind me. Knowing what was coming, I fished my drivers license out of my wallet and had it, along with both hands on the steering wheel, having already put the window down. Here is the key part. The officer asked for my registration and proof of insurance, neither of which were on line at that time.

I said, "They are in the glove compartment. May I get them? I waited until the officer said okay, then I very deliberately opened the glove compartment, retrieved the documents and gave them to the officer.

Just saying, it's about respecting law enforcement. Yeah, I'm white.
Few would argue that you did wrong. The argument is you should not have to worry about getting your head beat in or shot or even arrested if you are not respectful. You do not have to be. One should strive to be respectful in everything one does.

It's not always going to happen.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:19 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipCityBassWorks View Post
Is anyone really surprised about this? The NRA has never cared about who or how many needlessly die from gun violence. Their only purpose is to work to promote their contradictory policy and appease their extremely conservative members and donors...
What you said is just completely disingenuous.

The only people who don't care about the gun violence is the liberals. I can't make that any clearer.

NRA has proposed and supported many ways to reduce gun violence but the liberals will have none of it. The liberals want to this one thing: a total gun ban.

NRA is the largest and the most authoritative firearm safety and training facility in the country. Do you even understand the benefit of that?

Old 07-10-2016, 02:22 PM

2,185 posts, read 1,382,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The physical evidence clearly shows Wilson was attacked by Brown while he was in his car. That would include lacerations on Wilson's face, Browns blood in the car and bullet holes inside the car caused by the struggle for the gun. If that is not a threat I do not know what is.

His story fits the physical evidence, that is not something that is easily done unless it's the truth. Wilson's story was also corroborated by witnesses, those would be the ones that did make up **** on the news.

There is undoubtedly no question that Wilson was justified, there is not single shred of evidence to suggest otherwise. The only thing that says otherwise is a few people that have been proven to be liars.
But Brown was killed at a distance of at least 30 feet from the officer. Only in America do cops shoot unarmed civilians (of any race though it happens more to minorities) on a regular basis, in peacetime. They don't do it in ME dictatorships. They don't do it in African countries ruled by juntas. But they do it in America and get away with it.

List of some unarmed, non threatening people killed by the police.

Last edited by Sorel36; 07-10-2016 at 02:30 PM..

Old 07-10-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
What you said is just completely disingenuous.

The only people who don't care about the gun violence is the liberals. I can't make that any clearer.
By being just as disingenuous. You can not lump entire groups of people into neat little boxes. I get called a liberal on here all the time. I am not really, but that is what I get labelled and here I am supporting your right to own a gun.

You can not lump all in with idiot politicians who only care about one thing.....getting re-elected.

Quote:
NRA has proposed and supported many ways to reduce gun violence but the liberals will have none of it. The liberals want to this one thing: a total gun ban.

NRA is the largest and the most authoritative firearm safety and training facility in the country. Do you even understand the benefit of that?
I fully support these efforts but do you not understand that many, including members of the NRA see the NRA waffling on this issue because of the political implications?

If the NRA refuses to stand up in the end will take mean all members will be a hypocritical as their stand will be?

Old 07-10-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
But Brown was killed at a distance of at least 30 feet from the officer. Only in America do cops shoot unarmed civilians (of any race though it happens more to minorities) on a regular basis, in peacetime. They don't do it in ME dictatorships. They don't do it in African countries ruled by juntas. But they do it in America and get away with it.
If someone had just pummeled you and was walking back towards you again, and you had a gun, would you perhaps use it? (it is more complicated than that but we have to start here)

Old 07-10-2016, 02:29 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,170,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Departments across the U.S. look for long-term solutions to improving relations with minority communities. It seems like it might help cut down these casualties. I really hope it does. It hard to eliminate all of them while trying to prevent crime at the same time but hopefully, it will improve. I hope more programs like this start up.

Saw this on the news tonight. Pretty promising. They make some good points on here.
Police revamp policies to change public perceptions - CBS News
I wish the cop, in this situation, would have looked inside the car to see how many people were in it, and I wish the cop would have noticed the child inside. And then I wish the police would compile some statistics of how many motorists who shoot at police have kids in the car -- because I'll bet that number is super small. In fact, the only time I remember anyone shooting at police with kids in the car, the kid was an older teenager and was shooting at the police too.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:30 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
The problem is that a good guy with a gun shot and killed another good guy with a gun. This conflicts with the NRA rhetoric of only bad guys with guns will get killed by good guys with guns.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:30 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,118,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Good to see sensible NRA members standing up to this organization:

http://wapo.st/29xegxA
Dream on.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:32 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,564 times
NRA lifer here. I applaud the "we are waiting for the facts" stance, I find it refreshing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies