Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2016, 02:32 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I've posted that video lots and lots of times in these types of threads and it usually always falls on deaf ears. Not sure why.
Maybe because Chris was riffing on a very serious subject for laughs. Few comedians could pull such a ticklish thing off as well as he has. Thing is, a high percentage of white police officers cannot be trusted to use good judgement when they confront a black motorist. A white motorist has to provoke hostility, a black motorist can provoke hostility, anger, even hysteria just by being black A good outcome becomes seriously in question when the officers blood pressure has spiked to stroke inducing levels and all the rest of his fight or flight responses are also in the red zone. I don't know that Chris's advice really falls on deaf ears. Likely it is more that a HUGE percent of his audience does not drive at all. The black men most in need of his wisdom do not consider him relevant, nor are they much represented in the City-Data user roster.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:43 PM

20,724 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
If police killing a man who was waving a gun and who resists arrest makes you mad, your compass is warped.

In the case up in St Paul, while we don't know everything, to me it looks like the cop should go to jail. Just my opinion based on the limited info we have. The young man seemed like a good human. Very sad event.

Its cause they are stupid. They stand behind goon thugs shown strong arm robbing people just before they are shot. That's just dingbat stupid. Classic boy who cried wolf. The last thing I would do to address a violence in prison problem is to start the Jeffery Dahmer movement . My god what happened to him was wrong. Lets set aside he was a cannibal serial killer..

So when a black guy who did everything he could not to be shot is, everyone is so turned off from the fraudulent crap , such a man will not receive justice. It will also make it more likely to happen again since good cops who shoot maniacs know they will be tossed in with the bad cops.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:12 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Maybe because Chris was riffing on a very serious subject for laughs. Few comedians could pull such a ticklish thing off as well as he has. Thing is, a high percentage of white police officers cannot be trusted to use good judgement when they confront a black motorist. A white motorist has to provoke hostility, a black motorist can provoke hostility, anger, even hysteria just by being black A good outcome becomes seriously in question when the officers blood pressure has spiked to stroke inducing levels and all the rest of his fight or flight responses are also in the red zone. I don't know that Chris's advice really falls on deaf ears. Likely it is more that a HUGE percent of his audience does not drive at all. The black men most in need of his wisdom do not consider him relevant, nor are they much represented in the City-Data user roster.

Granted Chris did exaggerate a bit for comedy sake, but the core of the video if shot in a serious way still applies, the core of it was just be cooperative.

I can't really get behind the bolded parts. White cops can't be trusted to confront a black motorist? Black people simply being black provoke cops to just randomly beat them and shoot them??

A good outcome has nothing to do with this flight or fight or high blood pressure nonsense. It has to do with all the stuff in the Chris Rock vid. If you act like a civilized person the chances of the raging out of control cops and their high blood issues become substantial less here, let's not kid ourselves.

A huge percentage of his audience doesn't drive at all. LOL again, where are you pulling this stuff from, maybe select places like NYC or someplace where public transport makes sense. I see tons and tons of black people driving cars, and I've been to several states.

Black men don't find him relevant... IDK, sounds like a guess, but who knows? Chris Rock is really sensitive to black and white issues, not as much as Spike Lee, but I've seen interview after interview with him expressing concerns about black folks issues so for him to say that if you mind your Ps and Qs "you just might not get yo ass beat" says volumes in my opinion.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:16 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Cross burning's, Lynchings, hate crimes, Jim Crow, mass shootings....ah, all of those innocent white folks. Cops SHOULD not be leery of white folks. They have a clean history.
Are you serious? Those things you listed weren't perpetrated against the police. Therefore the police have no reason to be concerned they might happen during a traffic stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On the bold, when did this "behavior" start that made whites "leery" of blacks?

FYI, black people were labeled as criminal and their behavior as criminalistic during the 1700s and this continued through the 20th century and to today. This label began when blacks were the victims of regular assault, rape, murder, and abusive behavior at the hands of whites in this country. The idea of blacks people more dangerous and that whites need to be "leery" of us is based on whites fearing slave uprisings in the 1700s and 1800s and later whites fearing blacks in regards to them retaliating against them during the 1800s and 1900s as a result of the oppression forced upon black people.
Or perhaps black people have ALWAYS been more prone to violence and crime. Violence and crime is still pretty damn ubiquitous in Africa. In fact, I challenge you to name one place in the world that is predominantly black that people don't try to flee from because its a cesspool of poverty, crime, disease and ignorance.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:18 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,841,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
So you're really confused about why Blacks protest against a gov't agency's training & personnel, and how their crimes go unpunished, but don't protest against criminals who go to jail for their crime?

Some of the planks for BLM include dealing with how law enforcement trains their officers, how investigations are handled, reviewing how police who are assigned to neighborhoods interact with those citizens.

What exactly are you suggesting Black citizens discuss with local gang leaders & other criminals? What oversight should we ask the GDs to implement to make sure their gangbangers aren't hitting the streets w/o proper training? Which legislative branch should we reach out to create an independent agencies to review their shootings?

This might seem like a flippant comment, but since so many of you complain that the focus and resources that Blacks spend to combat the practices of a legal, gov't institution should be deployed against criminals & gangs, you must have some suggestions about where to direct those resources...

No, I am not confused by the issue regarding police involved shootings at all.

My confusion is that the movement is called #BlackLivesMatter, but the spotlight is only on black people that are killed by police officers.

Perhaps if the activist group had created a more focused # campaign, then it would be more obvious that their focus is solely on the lives of those murdered by agents of the government.

I never said that members of the black community don't care about the crime in their neighborhoods and if that was the implication, then that is my fault because I absolutely believe that people who deal with gang violence ARE very concerned about it!

Police involved shooting need to be investigated and scrutinized in every instance, regardless of the race of the victim.

ALL LIVES MATTER

People of all races, colors and creeds should come together and seek justice for any victim of violence, regardless of who perpetrated the violence upon them.

With LEO involved shootings, I don't view stepping back and waiting for all the facts to be presented, but that doesn't mean that the loss of life is not a tragedy. I don't automatically assume that the cop was justified in shooting the victim, but I also don't automatically assume that the victim was perfectly compliant and the cop just felt like offing a black person, either.

Do I have less compassion for the victims that are combative or aggressive or create a situation where a cop is put in fear for his life? In all honesty, I would have to say probably, but I have no less compassion for the family and friends of the victim. And I certainly don't base that feeling on the skin color of the victim.

I guess that my issue with the BLM movement is that it is misleading. It should call itself something that relates to the specific nature of its purpose. Otherwise, people like me will question why they are not talking about all of the black lives lost and the causes around those tragic deaths.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:28 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Are you serious? Those things you listed weren't perpetrated against the police. Therefore the police have no reason to be concerned they might happen during a traffic stop.

Or perhaps black people have ALWAYS been more prone to violence and crime. Violence and crime is still pretty damn ubiquitous in Africa. In fact, I challenge you to name one place in the world that is predominantly black that people don't try to flee from because its a cesspool of poverty, crime, disease and ignorance.
Wow....for a minute there I thought you were describing pre maritime exploration Europe. Remember......white people were the "tired and huddled masses yearning to be free (from white oppressors)" when whites enjoyed their all white "utopia" (a world minus blacks and other non-white minorities) of Europe. That worked out so well for yah that you had to flee to the new world....to escape your white world....

Poverty, violence, crime, squalor disease (the great plague for example) described white history prior to whites contact with the land, labor and resources of non-white people. You see, the form of economics of Western Civilization was simply "seesaw economics" as I call it. In other words, one set of people lifting themselves up from the lowering of another set of people. Hence, intra-racial seesaw economics, where one race of people oppress members of their own race, does not lift the race. It just lowers some to uplift the others. However, the "new world" allowed for inter-racial seesaw economics in which one race oppressed one or more other races, there by elevating the oppressing race over the other races. Prior to the fulcrum of slavery and colonization, you all were a hot mess.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:32 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post

LOL, Africans didn't go around the world killing and raping people and deeming them inferior creatures.

How were black American slaves more prone to violence and crime here in America when they were held in bondage and routinely raped and beaten and killed and terrorized and the same was done to black people 100 years post slavery.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:42 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
No, they are being killed because they are resisting.
How is this latest event "resisting"? How is the kid playing with a toy gun in Cleveland "resisting"? Now is this 50 year old man running away from the police officer "resisting"?

http://http://www.dailymail.co.uk/vi...runs-away.html

Old 07-07-2016, 03:42 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Wow....for a minute there I thought you were describing post maritime exploration Europe. Remember......white people were the "tired and huddled masses yearning to be free (from white oppressors)" when whites enjoyed their all white "utopia" (a world minus blacks and other non-white minorities).

Poverty, violence, crime, squalor disease (the great plague for example) described white history prior to whites contact with the land, labor and resources of non-white people. You see, the form of economics of Western Civilization was simply "seesaw economics" as I call it. In other words, one set of people lifting themselves up from the lowering of another set of people. Hence, intra-racial seesaw economics, where one race of people oppress members of their own race, does not lift the race. It just lowers some to uplift the others. However, the "new world" allowed for inter-racial seesaw economics in which one race oppressed one or more other races, there by elevating the oppressing race over the other races. Prior to the fulcrum of slavery and colonization, you all were a hot mess.
Yes, Europeans had a significant gap between the haves and the have-nots. Then we discovered capitalism and the rule of law. We have progressed, while blacks have not.

2,000 years ago Europeans built the Colosseum and the aqueducts. The Chinese had built the pyramids. 4,500 years ago, the Egyptians had built the Great Pyramids (sorry, the Egyptians weren't black). What had Africans built 2,000 years ago? The same mud huts that they build today, which are actually pretty similar to the shanty shacks that many rural American blacks still live in.

Blaming lack of black progress on whites is the weakest excuse there ever was. It's not the fault of whites that they invented a society that is too advanced for a good number of blacks to function in.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:47 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times
I care but I don't care for federal goverment interference and media blowing up the situation stirring emotions

Last edited by RunD1987; 07-07-2016 at 04:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies