Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2016, 12:49 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,532,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
You're supposed to expect more from a police officer? You'd like to think that somebody who is there to protect and serve is held to a higher standard than a gangbanger?

Old 07-08-2016, 12:50 PM

50,807 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottPlake View Post
He, allegedly, had ties to the Crips gang. Not that those ties warrant him being shot, but we do a need a clearer picture on what is going on here. Why did the scared Asian cop actually pull him over? What does the Cop say the reason was?
The only websites that are saying that are wacko websites.

If you have any real evidence, let me know.

Old 07-08-2016, 12:54 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Kudos, great come back to one who always blames whitey for all of their problems. On another note, there is not one well run black country in the world, so what is the excuse for that?
Define well run. Bermuda, Caymans, Botswana? When will it percolate that it is politics and not race that determine outcomes? North Koreans are very, very Asian. Would you live there? Asian countries not mired in totalitarian politics are far more advanced and have higher standards of living. Russians are very caucasian. Would you live there? America has an income and wealth divide very similar to that of many Third World countries. Well run? Depends on who you ask.

Old 07-08-2016, 01:02 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,793,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
I'm generally neutral as it relates to the police shootings, but these last 2 shootings have me very hot under the collar.

I've also heard some whites respond with "White people get killed by the police too".

So my question is to the "whites"-Do you even care if whites get killed too? I know you don't care if blacks do and I'm okay with that disposition. Do you care if your own race gets killed? If so what do whites do to prevent it from happening because there is nothing at this point that blacks can do. If you care so much why are you so silent on the issue? Why are you so apathetic?

Please help me to understand. Do you even care?

Here is a story---
I can remember having been a hiring manager at a Hospital with 3,200 employees. There were only 3 of us black managers in the whole darn place. I decided to do something about it. I went on an aggreesive hiring of black managers. Why? 1-We needed more managers 2- we needed managers of color. 3-the Senior Level(white folks) staff supported my efforts.

The point:
I was in a position to make change happen and I DID. It's the highlight of my life.

Since whites are the dominant controlling class, why not use that position to make changes for the better?
I don't care if they had it coming to them. I do care if they don't. That goes for black or white.

Almost every case I can remember, the guy had it coming to him. That one in Chicago looked like the cops shot a guy they shouldn't have. Michael Brown deserved it. I don't know what Freddie Gray was but it doesn't look like murder. We'll see with these last two cases at the trials. The Baton Rouge one from the video didn't look good.

As far as hiring more black managers, etc., I have no problem with it. I hired a black guy in a responsible position who wasn't ideally qualified but we coached him up and he turned out fine.

Old 07-08-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
This is true, as well, nobody , nobody , can see the video or actually knows what happened. All these people, and the general public begin judging and accusing the police immediately. What they don't understand is police are trained and people in situations like Baton Rouge the person did not comply from the beginning. Like Traveler said above, the police did what they had to do. You can hear them giving clear commands. If the person complied they never would need to be on the ground to begin with. You cannot see the suspect's hands. He has a gun on him. You hear the officers giving commands. The suspect is on his back which is not where any officer wants the suspect. They are trying to control his hands. You clearly hear them yell gun. The suspect was not complying with the orders they were giving. It appears to me to be a justified shooting.

So, unless you are police, please stop judging a situation without seeing all of it, knowing all the facts, knowing from the beginning to the end what transpired. It is just not fair to condemn the officers without knowing the whole story , and all the facts, which you can't get from a video.
You are corect. The police did what they had to do. And now they are living with the consequences. Going forward there will be more and more scrutiny of police conduct through social media. I don't think the masses of Americans are idiots. It is not a majority of Americans saying that these officers are justified in some of the shootings that have gone viral. I don't know ANYONE saying that it is a good thing that police officers were targeted last night. The police, however, as a group have ignored rising anger towards their deaf ear towards their treatment of the citizenry in general and racial minorities in particular. Did no one see this coming? I predicted as much last year sometime after one of the many, many, many unjustified shootings of a racial minority for which the officers received no censure. "Heaping up wrath against the day of anger" is how I think I characterized police refusal to acknowledge the fact that a change is needed in how they interact with the public.

Old 07-08-2016, 01:10 PM

781 posts, read 736,771 times
There's no white people/black people as far as I'm concerned, it's just me against the world.

Old 07-08-2016, 01:44 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,885,666 times
Black, white or purple. If I'm confronted by a uniformed person who is armed and has a license to kill, and that person gives me an order, I'll obey every time.

I don't condone any of the recent officer involved shootings because although I've read and seen what's been published, I didn't witness what happened. There's always two sides to a story and unfortunately the other sides can't explain their points of view.

But regardless of my feelings about the police. Or justification for why I'm being confronted. If I get pulled over and told to comply, I will. Because that's not the right time to argue with the guy holding the gun.

Old 07-08-2016, 01:48 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,226,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Black, white or purple. If I'm confronted by a uniformed person who is armed and has a license to kill, and that person gives me an order, I'll obey every time.

I don't condone any of the recent officer involved shootings because although I've read and seen what's been published, I didn't witness what happened. There's always two sides to a story and unfortunately the other sides can't explain their points of view.

But regardless of my feelings about the police. Or justification for why I'm being confronted. If I get pulled over and told to comply, I will. Because that's not the right time to argue with the guy holding the gun.
Well, The police side seems to largely be. "I was scared and shot the guy"

Old 07-08-2016, 01:48 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
If anything, this shooting is going to make cops more on the edge.

Old 07-08-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post

I don't condone any of the recent officer involved shootings because although I've read and seen what's been published, I didn't witness what happened. There's always two sides to a story and unfortunately the other sides can't explain their points of view..
Except that that dog won't hunt anymore. Even if cops remove or otherwise inactivate their bodycams there are witness cell-phones. More and more their deeds done in darkness are seeing the light of public opinion. You have no innate reason to fear police. I can tell. Maybe you have never actually been involved in a police stop. You have no actual idea of how you would really respond. It's all theoretical to way too many of you in this thread. Try being a black motorist who the cop wants to arrest. A cop that gives conflicting commands because he wants the motorist to give him a reason to use force. A cop that joined the police force because he wants to kick people around. Unfortunately the other side can't explain their POV. That's rich. Unfortunate... . Unfortunate is forgetting the meatloaf in the oven for an hour. I think you could find a better word for the questionable death of a person whose side of things will never be known but what little can be determined stinks to high heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies