Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 10:57 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,283,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
In the OP's description of his job he stated "2- we needed managers of color."

Had he said 'we needed to hire the most qualified managers we could find' I would take him more seriously but IMO "2- we needed managers of color." is as discriminatory as anything else.
It's the disease of discrimination that moves in all directions, sometimes unknowingly to the individual being discriminatory. Humans think in this way - balancing color and gender. Humans running businesses are at fault creating this continuing mess. They discriminate. People discriminate all the time - it's very sad. I'm not a hypocrite - I do not discriminate. People are people and that's where it SHOULD end, but never will IMO.

We hear the word desensitized used in many parts of our life, and this is no exception. The first reaction with such an incident is color, and then it's too late as the media pushes that story along. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't the issue. But it's made to be the 31 issue from the outset, and then the two sides begin the battle.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:58 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

Liberal cities are a cesspool: modern plantation
Why do you stay in Los Angeles, then (which is statistically safer than it has been since the 1960s)?

Old 07-07-2016, 10:58 AM

5,381 posts, read 2,839,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On the bold, I will state that I am a black female. I was also raised to believe that police were "good" and were there to "help" people. However, my very first encounter with police pulling me over proved to me that they were not like they were portrayed to be by the majority of my family and the media which portrayed them as "good" all the time.

I will also state that black people in general have a much different history versus white people. For over 100 years black people have been victimized by police and so it would be ridiculous for us to have an automatic association that they are majority "good" all the time. We know that that is not the case.

In regards to the red, IMO it is odd that so many whites continue to bring up homicides of black people killing other black people. IMO it is meant to be an excuse of "well police can kill black people since other black men do it and you shouldn't care."

Fact of the matter is there are thousands of groups and millions of black people who work to curtail violence in black neighborhoods. Just like you only see media regarding white cops (or non-black) killing black people, you never see national media focus on the many rallies and meetings and organizations held/working to decrease violence in black areas. IMO it is done deliberately to keep us polarized.

However on the OP I honestly do not think that whites care about other whites as much as black people care about our own. Even though I am the first to state that I don't believe that there is a such thing as a single "black community" I do believe that black Americans are very much connected and unified in regards to the struggles our demographic has endured all across this country. We understand and share many experiences and therefore we exhibit a love and concern for all of those in our demographic due to us being very sympathetic and empathetic people and due to having had to rely on our extended families and communities much moreso it seems than whites have who are much more individualistic than black people in their personal lives.

IMO as a demographic we are just more caring than whites who will try to reason away a need for concern. I will state though that I know MANY white people who have been appalled by police killings of blacks (and whites). And quite a few of those people have joined organizations with black people to curtail police brutality/abuse.
I appreciate your response. I think that this is a really good example of how blacks and whites talk PAST each other. My comment was not at all meant to give cops a pass on committing murder! It really is an honest question about why the black community focuses media attention only on the lives of black men killed by law enforcement and not on the incredibly higher number of black lives taken due to black on black killings within black communities?

I would not ask the question if the focus on this issue was not called "Black Lives Matter" because that seems to indicate that ALL BLACK LIVES MATTER. If that were true, then activists should be talking about ALL the black lives lost regardless of the murderer's color or profession.

If the purpose of the movement is to focus on the death of black men at the hands of white police officers, then why is the movement not called something like "Protect Black Lives from Police." IMO THAT would make a clear statement and no one would ask about why black on black crime is being ignored (at least that is the perception).

You have stated much more eloquently what I was trying to say and I agree completely with you regarding the dynamics with in the "black community." And I further agree that using that term is not intended to imply that all black people in America walk in lock step as a large and monolithic group. Just like there is not a "white community" where all white people are in lock step.

Thanks for sharing your views, THIS is how we come together and learn how to communicate and learn and understand where we all are coming from and why some statements offend when that was not the intention.

Here is something I read on Twitter that represents some of what I think is problem with communicating about race related issues.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:59 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
I've also heard some whites respond with "White people get killed by the police too".
I've heard some blacks purport to tell me what I think, and so forth. I don't paint all blacks with the same brush as the vocal militants.

Quote:
So my question is to the "whites"-Do you even care if whites get killed too? I know you don't care if blacks do and I'm okay with that disposition.
You know nothing of the sort.

This is, ironically, a very racist view you have, to suggest that all white people think the same thing.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:00 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,220 times
Quote:
I'm generally neutral as it relates to the police shootings, but these last 2 shootings have me very hot under the collar.

I've also heard some whites respond with "White people get killed by the police too".

So my question is to the "whites"-Do you even care if whites get killed too? I know you don't care if blacks do and I'm okay with that disposition. Do you care if your own race gets killed? If so what do whites do to prevent it from happening because there is nothing at this point that blacks can do. If you care so much why are you so silent on the issue? Why are you so apathetic?

Please help me to understand. Do you even care?

Here is a story---
I can remember having been a hiring manager at a Hospital with 3,200 employees. There were only 3 of us black managers in the whole darn place. I decided to do something about it. I went on an aggreesive hiring of black managers. Why? 1-We needed more managers 2- we needed managers of color. 3-the Senior Level(white folks) staff supported my efforts.

The point:
I was in a position to make change happen and I DID. It's the highlight of my life.

Since whites are the dominant controlling class, why not use that position to make changes for the better?
I would tend to agree with you. Being white, I have been able to view white culture from the inside and even I have the same questions. It's seems to be just a generally coarser culture even to its own "members"... especially if you have something that sets you apart from the group as a white person, such as a disability or a flaw not under your control.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:02 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,141 times
As a white person, I am appalled at how the legal system lets cops get away with murder- literally. Most of their victims are black, but I believe the root of the problem is our "justice system" that is designed to protect them at all costs. Some of the victims should have co-operated instead of even giving token resistance. Still, that does not justify overreaction by police. As far as changing things- they will not change because the legal system is designed to protect bad cops, crooked DA's and judges. They all sleep together, and will NOT hold each other accountable. Even the so called "good cops" cover up for the bad ones- so how "good" are they?

Old 07-07-2016, 11:06 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
I'm generally neutral as it relates to the police shootings, but these last 2 shootings have me very hot under the collar.

So my question is to the "whites"-Do you even care if whites get killed too? I know you don't care if blacks do and I'm okay with that disposition. Do you care if your own race gets killed? If so what do whites do to prevent it from happening because there is nothing at this point that blacks can do. If you care so much why are you so silent on the issue? Why are you so apathetic?

Please help me to understand. Do you even care?

Here is a story---
I can remember having been a hiring manager at a Hospital with 3,200 employees. There were only 3 of us black managers in the whole darn place. I decided to do something about it. I went on an aggreesive hiring of black managers. Why? 1-We needed more managers 2- we needed managers of color. 3-the Senior Level(white folks) staff supported my efforts.

The point:
I was in a position to make change happen and I DID. It's the highlight of my life.

Since whites are the dominant controlling class, why not use that position to make changes for the better?
I care but I have serious doubts about any media coverage regarding a shooting. The video in the last 2 officer shootings looks bad but video is not proof or evidence until a judge says it is. Every day people are getting better faking videos with computers. I believe cell phone and private video should not be admissible in court unless it is vetted by experts. In fact, it should not be released to the public until such time.

And regarding your hiring spree based on race, you should be fired and your company prosecuted. Lucky for you, white people do not think that way and gave you a chance.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:08 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,977,676 times
Salon.com:

_"“We have to bring them to heel”: Watch a decade of Hillary Clinton’s shameful hypocrisy on racism"_
"Hillary has a race problem"

http://www.salon.com/2016/03/01/we_have_to_bring_them_to_heel_watch_a_decade_of_hi llary_clintons_shameful_hypocrisy_on_racism/

Last edited by mm4; 07-07-2016 at 11:19 AM..

Old 07-07-2016, 11:08 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,945,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Maybe its time for black people to wear bodycams for their own survival. Bodycams that live stream every moment of time spent outside of the relative safety of their dwellings or interior spaces.
Imagine how many unsolved murders, thefts, robberies, car-jacking, assaults, etc could be solved if that were the case.

Let's get body cams for everyone. I'm sure crime rates would plummet. haha

Old 07-07-2016, 11:14 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
I gleaned from the OP's tone that his assertion is that white people do not care, and are apathetic.

Then why even argue to the contrary if his mind is already made up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies