Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 04:07 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,554,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Because it is an erosion of religious freedom (and just freedom in general) that can easily extend to a tichel or kippah. For instance, women are barred from wearing any kind of headscarf in Bosnian judiciary buildings. While it disproportional impacts Muslim women, that would leave out observant, married Jewish women as well.

Furthermore, just because there isn't an equivalent in Judaism doesn't mean we can't stand up and show up.
nonsense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
As the French say...

facial coverings "prevent the clear identification of a person, which is both a security risk, and a social hindrance within a society which relies on facial recognition and expression in communication. The key argument against the ban is that it encroaches on individual freedoms"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 04:08 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,572,239 times
Quote:
Lemme guess - you know no Muslim women, do you?

This measure is disgusting and disrespectful to the many Muslim feminists I know who choose to cover. It is also disrespectful toward Orthodox Jewish women who choose to cover and women of any religious organization who find meaning in dressing as they see fit.

You cannot support this and also claim to support freedom. Freedom includes choosing how to dress.

Sure you can support "Freedom" and restrict how people dress if you cover your face doing it. Covering your face is a Security problem, because only Criminals or those with bad intentions do that. If you live here, your Freedom" comes at a price, and that price is to respect our Laws and Customs. What would you want next? The "Freedom" to stone Gay folks? Get real.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
So, following that logic, what other non-standard clothing choices can we regulate? Facial piercings aren't standard. Tattoos are more common now, but still not standard. I personally think tank tops are unattractive and awful to have to look at - could we outlaw them in the interest of saving people from poor clothing choices?

Banning a religious clothing item is not compatible with religious freedom, and forcing someone who feels it is her religious duty to cover to take off the veil is not going to make it more likely she will integrate, just as wearing a veil does not necessarily mean the woman doesn't feel herself to be integrated. This is a terrible idea born out of fear that will not have the results the Swiss purport to want.

I think they made a wise decision, especially in todays climate of Islamic Terrorism. If the Muslims don't like it, they can always go back to where they came from, and cover their faces 24-7.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:14 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Where are these ultra-orthodox Jewish sects that dress like that located?

Hasidic Jews in this country don't dress like that. Both the men and the women dress very conservatively and the women don't cover their faces at all.

I live in a town with many Hasidic Jews and I wondered the same thing. I've watched them walking to Synagogue for years. They're not all covered up, just dressed more modestly in dark colors.

Like I said, smoke and mirrors.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:16 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Quote:
I repeat, where did I mention Jewish women wearing a burqa? That was my question and you failed to answer it.

Friends and family cover their hair when they get married, and cover to their elbows and knees (and, in a few cases, wrists and ankles) due to their interpretation of Torah. I do not share that interpretation, but they are free to dress as they choose. Similarly, I do not see justification for the burqa in the Qu'ran, but they are free to dress as they choose. If we restrict a group of people to wear their religious garb, that's an affront to all who wear religious attire that may be asynchronous with modern life. Plenty of people have issue with head coverings of all type - including a tichel or kippah.

I do not agree with removing others' rights because of your discomfort. A burqa isn't hurting you any more than a trench coat or a backpack.
I don't agree. I wouldn't compare a trench coat or backpack to the burka. I would compare the robes of the KKK though.

The burka and the KKK white robe and hat symbolize an ideology of hate which has hurt and killed thousands of people. I think both symbolize a lack of tolerance in society today beyond what is healthy. They both symbolize oppression and hate.

If you're wearing a burka it means you agree with harming a certain portion of society, just like a KKK robe does. Where them at home, but keep them out of the public square.

We have been forced to reduce what we tolerate for public safety now. A portion of that mistrust comes from terror. It is what it is.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsami View Post
Interesting how those from western societies who claim they care about women's rights

chose to primarily target their discrimination at Muslim women and not Muslim men!

why? because a Muslim man actually look like anybody else. he can be white (think Turkish or Bosnian or Russian)

people need to come up with a better way to target those whom they don't like.

Don't worry. In case you haven't noticed, Muslim Men are not liked any better than Muslim women. That should be evident to you by now. Americans and everyone else in the World, know that an Islamic Terrorist can be a man or a woman, so your analogy that "men" are disliked or not trusted more, is absolutely false. There is NO trust, man, or woman, so its equality.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:18 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,554,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I don't agree. I wouldn't compare a trench coat or backpack to the burka. I would compare the robes of the KKK though.

The burka and the KKK white robe and hat symbolize an ideology of hate which has hurt and killed thousands of people. I think both symbolize a lack of tolerance in society today beyond what is healthy. They both symbolize oppression and hate.

If you're wearing a burka it means you agree with harming a certain portion of society, just like a KKK robe does. Where them at home, but keep them out of the public square.

We have been forced to reduce what we tolerate for public safety now. A portion of that mistrust comes from terror. It is what it is.
I don't believe a burqa means you agree with harming society. I do believe it's oppressive, puritanical, misogynistic and doesn't belong in a western culture.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:19 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I live in a town with many Hasidic Jews and I wondered the same thing. I've watched them walking to Synagogue for years. They're not all covered up, just dressed more modestly in dark colors.

Like I said, smoke and mirrors.
When the fundamentalist Jews start killing large numbers of people then we'd have the same issue. KKK(Fundi Christian) Islamist(Fundi Muslims) have killed a lot of people in the name of their God. Big Difference. It's only logical that civility would be tied to attire in these situations.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This is sad. I see no difference in telling women what they must wear and what they can't wear.
You don't have to see the difference as long as most folks see it.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:21 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
So, following that logic, what other non-standard clothing choices can we regulate? Facial piercings aren't standard. Tattoos are more common now, but still not standard. I personally think tank tops are unattractive and awful to have to look at - could we outlaw them in the interest of saving people from poor clothing choices?

Banning a religious clothing item is not compatible with religious freedom, and forcing someone who feels it is her religious duty to cover to take off the veil is not going to make it more likely she will integrate, just as wearing a veil does not necessarily mean the woman doesn't feel herself to be integrated. This is a terrible idea born out of fear that will not have the results the Swiss purport to want.
Religion is something you can practice quietly in the freedom of your own home instead of out in public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies