Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 11:55 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,977,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Oh wow, it must be a Texas thing.

Look, I'm from AZ and I'm used to seeing guns all the time. Over here you can open carry or CCW. It's not a big deal.

The only ordinary citizen to ever impress me was a very tall, long haired Apache man in Wilcox, AZ who carried his old fashioned, long cylinder magnum at the hip. I don't know why, but that man commanded more respect than that clown in Dallas.

I don't see the purpose, the usefulness, or the good judgement. The guy was either taunting or seeking notoriety. He turned himself in in order to stay alive.

He wasted the police's time and effort at a crucial time. The police really didn't need that clown in the mix
Keeping them out of sight only amplifies pockets of misunderstanding that it must be illegal to carry them in public. Out of sight reinforces notions they shouldn't be distributed, ubiquitous. Use your Bill of Rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 11:58 PM

15,526 posts, read 10,495,101 times
" What about the guy falsely accused of being the Dallas Shooter? "

It was the social media that went nuts and accused Mark Hughes. The cops just wanted to talk to him, that's all. People know who he is, he'll get his gun back. The cops are just rather busy right now.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:06 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,630,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
What exactly is happening?

Some idiots are engaging in mass shootings? What's new about that?

Some cops are shooting blacks and blacks are protesting? what's new about that?

Some cops were killed? Sure, horrible incident but it's not the first or the worst mass shooting. Sandy Hook is the worst shooting so far and no one back then was claiming the whole country was at war.

Brainless people who think that most blacks are now gonna start shooting cops need to get a life or visit their psychiatrist for more medication. These were obviously the actions of some mentally ill people, no different than other shooters or snipers we have had in the past.
Sigh, this isn't about black people starting to shoot cops in mass. We have the beginnings of civil unrest in several cities, the police feel like targets and will say they can't control their cities. In case you haven't noticed many of the protestors are white. The cops will say we need help, here comes the military and there go our rights.

I live in LA. In 1992 due to the Rodney King civil unrest we were under Martial Law for about 4 days. You had to be off the streets and home by dusk. Saw tanks and soldiers with assault weapons patrolling the streets. If things continue to escalate(and they seem to be) you will see many cities getting to experience what we had in 1992.

The only thing brainless, is not to question anything or do any critical thinking.

Look, nothing would make more happy than to be wrong, but too many things are happening at much more rapid pace.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:41 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,947,000 times
I was in the 92 riot as a journalist. (An journalist with a camera and a gun, several of both actually. ) It was really only wild the first night and the next day. By early evening most folks were worn out. I spent part of the second night in Korea town where there were a few gunfights in the afternoon but not really much after dark. Most of the fires were set the first night and day.

For sure the police lost control. But by the time the NG got there there wasn't really anything for them to do but pose for cameras.

It looks like things will quiet down, but tomorrow is Saturday night, so someone could decide to burn the town down so to speak.

But the LA Riot was widespread. I probably put 60 miles on the "war wagon" that night going around and trying not to get shot. Most riots are contained to a few blocks.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:43 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,967,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I live in LA. In 1992 due to the Rodney King civil unrest we were under Martial Law for about 4 days. You had to be off the streets and home by dusk. Saw tanks and soldiers with assault weapons patrolling the streets. If things continue to escalate(and they seem to be) you will see many cities getting to experience what we had in 1992.

The only thing brainless, is not to question anything or do any critical thinking.

Look, nothing would make more happy than to be wrong, but too many things are happening at much more rapid pace.
It's always possible but I don't think it will be several cities. Most people want to live normal lives, not in complete chaos. Martial Law is not even that common in Latin America where there is far more crime and more civil unrest.

It's much easier that we elect some dictator who will use any excuse to declare Martial Law than multiple cities having uncontrollable social unrest at the same time.

Old 07-09-2016, 01:11 AM

7,183 posts, read 4,765,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Keeping them out of sight only amplifies pockets of misunderstanding that it must be illegal to carry them in public. Out of sight reinforces notions they shouldn't be distributed, ubiquitous. Use your Bill of Rights.
Exercising my 2nd amendment rights can probably take me 10-15 minutes in AZ.

When you live in a place like AZ is best to assume that each and every person is carrying, and if you don't know that, then you need help or you need to move elsewhere.

Sorry, the smart move is to CCW

Old 07-09-2016, 01:23 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,977,374 times
Quote:
Exercising my 2nd amendment rights can probably take me 10-15 minutes in AZ.

When you live in a place like AZ is best to assume that each and every person is carrying, and if you don't know that, then you need help or you need to move elsewhere.

Sorry, the smart move is to CCW
You're choosing to ignore that circumstances are a little more political than that. Educational outreach that people can carry--concealed or otherwise, depending on state--is essential to the preservation of respect for rights that our country defends. That's often presented to the less knowledgeable by transporting them in the open.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:14 AM

21,463 posts, read 10,566,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Local ordinances vary:
State, local 'open carry' laws can contradict each other - San Antonio Express-News

I personally think it's stupid to transport a loaded rifle, but that's just me.
So do I. I feel sorry for the cops having to deal with that. I live in Texas and have yet to see someone open carrying a weapon in public. I'm sure I'm around tons of concealed guns, but just don't know it. I prefer it that way. If I was a gun holder, the last thing I'd want to do is paint a target on my back with a gun in the open. It just seems stupid to me.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:05 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,973,344 times
Quote:
Oh wow, it must be a Texas thing.

Look, I'm from AZ and I'm used to seeing guns all the time. Over here you can open carry or CCW. It's not a big deal.

The only ordinary citizen to ever impress me was a very tall, long haired Apache man in Wilcox, AZ who carried his old fashioned, long cylinder magnum at the hip. I don't know why, but that man commanded more respect than that clown in Dallas.

I don't see the purpose, the usefulness, or the good judgement. The guy was either taunting or seeking notoriety. He turned himself in in order to stay alive.

He wasted the police's time and effort at a crucial time. The police really didn't need that clown in the mix
What was the difference between the two guys openly carrying? Don't know why you keep bashing the Texas guy for practicing his legal right.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:18 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,084,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I love my guns and carry mine concealed wherever I legally can. But given what happened, its not unreasonable that the police needed to talk to him.

As others have said, this is Texas and he will be fine. It was an inconvenience but nothing more.

It is worth noting though that this guy cooperated with police and is still alive. Hell, he even had a scary rifle. Seems like there could be a lesson there.

The bolded deserves a thread of it's own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies