Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 10:16 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times

Advertisements

Even if there is AGW, who cares? There's still droughts, there's still floods. Summer is still hot and winter is still cold. The people who were starving before are still starving and the people who had plenty.of food are still fat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 10:19 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Of course there's not, it's always been a ridiculous idea. Rising sea levels. Billions upon billions of gallons of water are being pumped out of the ground to water crops, lawns, drink, cook...it ends up in the sewer system and ultimately in the oceans.

What a made up problem. I've never worried about it.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:22 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
There is no way that a thermometer from 100 years ago could be as accurate as today's thermometers. So how can anyone be sure that a temperature rise in 10ths of a degree has happened? It could just be an advance in quality of temperature measuring devices.

Glacial melting, movement of warm weather species into new territories, pictures of people hanging out on the frozen River Thames...

Old 07-15-2016, 10:30 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
The Earth's climate has been changing since the Earth was first formed, and will continue to change until it is ultimately destroyed.

The only people who even come close to denying that the Earth's climate is naturally in a state of constant change are the AGW alarmists, who appear to believe that a static climate is somehow normal, achievable and sustainable.

It isn’t.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:34 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
The Earth's climate has been changing since the Earth was first formed, and will continue to change until it is ultimately destroyed.

The only people who even come close to denying that the Earth's climate is naturally in a state of constant change are the AGW alarmists, who appear to believe that a static climate is somehow normal, achievable and sustainable.

It isn’t.
The Earth's climate has been relatively static for the past 10,000 years, which is probably the main reason human civilization was able to take off.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:44 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,906 times
It seems that the only people who are still clinging to the notion that global warming is a hoax are American conservatives.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:15 AM

57,271 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
And I asked you to prove that this sudden rate is unique... that it's never happened before. Did you answer my question? Nope.

I asked you to provide evidence that this rate of increase in solely man's doing. Have you done this? Nope.

I asked you to provide a list of all occurrences in which temperatures rose during similar time frames in the history of our globe so we can make adequate comparisons. And did you do this? NOPE!!!

So you haven't done $hit.

We have never stated it's not been hotter before.
We've never stated that the temperatures have never risen.
We've never stated other factors are the sole cause.

But you've done a masterful job of putting those words in our mouths. Probably because you have no other thing to state for your cause.

I mean, you could try to answer my questions, which would go a long way to supporting your premise, but it seems you're having issues in supporting your theory that this temperature rise is unique in the history of the world, and man is the sole cause.

But you cannot prove this with the data I've asked for...

hmmm...

As for the increases in both CO2 and temp, we have seen numerous graphs showing than one can cause the other... IOW, one will precede the other at some time in history. And in other graphs, during other periods, they switch. So as for the current cause, I'm still skeptical.

And BTW, I've taught chemistry and physics at the college level for the last 2 decades, so I know a thing or two about this topic.
Go look at post #34 - it was hotter before ......

Prior temperature changes were over thousands or million of years mainly due to changes in the earths orbit in the Milankovitch cycles , they may not account for all changes but certainly a majority. I don't know of any rate of change that occurred in 100 years, maybe you can produce one.

The increased CO2 levels pretty much mirror the increased temperatures, I don't think anyone can produce a 100% guarantee relative to changes like this when it comes to the earths atmosphere but certainly there is agreement that the scientific data points to man's action. The earth is a closed loop so what other external factors other than fossil fuels could have changed our atmosphere.

You still haven't answered the question, do you believe there has been a pause since 1998?

So if not because of man what do you think caused the temperature increase in such a short period.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:42 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
It seems that the only people who are still clinging to the notion that global warming is a hoax are American conservatives.
Comical. There is a large community of people that are skeptical of the argument because it is based on assumption. Most don't discount the obvious in regards to pollution, atmospheric altering, and anomalies in weather patterns.

It is extremists on both sides, those labeled alarmists, those labeled deniers, that have hijacked the scientific method and turned this into a political debate.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:50 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,367,193 times
Just my 2 cents from working with the EPA when I was in college -- but weather records do not go back far enough to know if what we're experiencing is cyclical or climate change. What we should be concerned about, and what there IS proof of, are the effects of pollution. You can see (literally) what air pollution does, and what poisoning the water does to both human and animal life.

I am not a tree-hugger or environmentalist, but I think it's careless to ignore the effects of pollution. We can do (and are) doing something here in the U.S. but until countries like China and India get on board, there will still be problems. We only have one planet and if we can't breathe the air or drink the water we'll need to find a new one sooner than later.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:54 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
Just my 2 cents from working with the EPA when I was in college -- but weather records do not go back far enough to know if what we're experiencing is cyclical or climate change. What we should be concerned about, and what there IS proof of, are the effects of pollution. You can see (literally) what air pollution does, and what poisoning the water does to both human and animal life.

I am not a tree-hugger or environmentalist, but I think it's careless to ignore the effects of pollution. We can do (and are) doing something here in the U.S. but until countries like China and India get on board, there will still be problems. We only have one planet and if we can't breathe the air or drink the water we'll need to find a new one sooner than later.
Way too much common sense in your post for the extremists on either side that 'definitively' know the answer on the reason the climate changes.... and unfortunately, the true things we can observe and take action on get lost in the now political debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies