Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 05:58 AM

9 posts, read 9,191 times

Advertisements

To each their own but I don't need science or articles to tell me about global warming when year after year I see a difference in weather and seasons. You can't keep changing aspects of the earth (tearing down trees, killing off wild life, civilizing the world, polluting the environment, etc ) and expect it not to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 06:12 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry4Freedom View Post
To each their own but I don't need science or articles to tell me about global warming when year after year I see a difference in weather and seasons. You can't keep changing aspects of the earth (tearing down trees, killing off wild life, civilizing the world, polluting the environment, etc ) and expect it not to change.
And you can't keep these little apes called humans from thinking they are so important and affect so much when in reality we are tiny little ants on the surface of this 4.5B year old planet running for cover whenever nature decides to give us a good butt kicking.

We affect very little.

I agree with environmental policies..use less. Use common sense. Keep the planet as clean as possible, dispose of waste responsibly. But like everything else, the nuts go way too far and ruin it.

Old 07-16-2016, 07:32 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Go look at post #34 - it was hotter before ......
Did I ever say it wasn't? Of course it's been hotter before, multiple times. It's been cooler before, multiple times. We've had higher [CO2], and we've had lower [CO2], both multiple times.

What's your point? Everyone knows this.

Quote:
Prior temperature changes were over thousands or million of years mainly due to changes in the earths orbit in the Milankovitch cycles , they may not account for all changes but certainly a majority. I don't know of any rate of change that occurred in 100 years, maybe you can produce one.
I asked you to produce evidence that proves this current rate-of-change (ROC) is unique. If you want to belabor this point that the climate has never changed this quickly before, then the onus is on you to provide a listing of every ROC available for which other scientists can make comparisons. It's quite possible that quicker ROC's have occurred in the earth's past, but you won't know this until you look, and even then, it might be quite impossible to actually gather a complete data set for this.

Quote:
The increased CO2 levels pretty much mirror the increased temperatures, I don't think anyone can produce a 100% guarantee relative to changes like this when it comes to the earths atmosphere but certainly there is agreement that the scientific data points to man's action. The earth is a closed loop so what other external factors other than fossil fuels could have changed our atmosphere.
I don't think anyone should argue that man has a role in increasing [CO2] levels. It's the level of effect that our influence is causing is still (to this scientist's mind) still wide open for debate.

As for your closed loop statement, this is wrong. Yes, there is more than likely a fixed amount of Carbon (C) on the planet, but that doesn't mean there's a fixed amount of CO2. The compounds that are made of the elements do not have to follow the cycles we all learned in middle school.

And the earth is definitely not closed when it comes to either energy or mass. We pick up tons of mass each year from stellar debris, but we also lose mass by escaping H and He. We also have a net gain each year of radiant energy.

So, it's a closed loop for many things, but not everything.

Quote:
You still haven't answered the question, do you believe there has been a pause since 1998?
You didn't ask me that question. I neither believe nor disbelieve it, mainly due to that fact I've not seen the raw data from which to make an educated guess. And since I know how much data can be manipulated, I wouldn't venture to guess how accurate it is. So as for the "pause", I couldn't give a crap.

Quote:
So if not because of man what do you think caused the temperature increase in such a short period.
It very well could be man. But I've never seen a definitive study that provide specific data as to how much of the increase is man, and how much is other known (or unknown) factors. And until I do, I'm got going to put up with the "it's man's fault" meme.
It very well could be influences we have yet to ascertain.

As for your question concerning the short period, if your hypothesis is that this is truly too short of a period for temp increases, then you need to provide data from as many other interglacial periods as you can, and show specifically no 100 year periods matching the current ROC. The thing is, I doubt that enough specific data even exists for which to make those kinds of comparisons. If so, your hypothesis is untestable, and therefore invalid.

Last edited by Starman71; 07-16-2016 at 07:43 AM..

Old 07-16-2016, 08:33 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
This article shows geothermal activity causing ice melt in Antarctica:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/scient...1&noRedirect=1

Old 07-16-2016, 10:26 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
This article shows geothermal activity causing ice melt in Antarctica:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/scient...1&noRedirect=1
Causing ice melt in an Antarctic peninsula more accurately, not the entire continent or coast line.

As a side note, it's funny how geologic emissions are very similar to the emissions you'd find in a Chinese coal plant or Indian taxi cab tail pipe.

Old 07-16-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
And you can't keep these little apes called humans from thinking they are so important and affect so much when in reality we are tiny little ants on the surface of this 4.5B year old planet running for cover whenever nature decides to give us a good butt kicking.

We affect very little.
Aside from causing a major extinction event on this planet? Sure.

Quote:
I agree with environmental policies..use less. Use common sense. Keep the planet as clean as possible, dispose of waste responsibly. But like everything else, the nuts go way too far and ruin it.
...the nuts ruined it. Not the folks that do the opposite of consuming less, keeping the planet clean, and disposing of waste properly?

......uh huh.

Old 07-16-2016, 10:33 AM

Our best answer to the effects of increasingly releasing gigatons of greenhouse gases annually that have been locked underground for tens to hundreds of millions of years is altering the climate in some fashion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies