Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 04:18 PM

416 posts, read 260,376 times

Advertisements

In another thread on this site we watched as poster after poster ranted on about what Obama about said in Dallas this morning. We read out and out lies about how he went on about the two black men killed during the week and blatantly ignored the 5 officers so tragically killed by the hands of a former soldier turned hate crime killer.

The thread exploded as posters piled on without regard to what was said, but what they wanted to think someone heard. After all, the majority were Obama haters so what better way to discredit him than to just make crap up.

I waited to comment, to have the transcript in hand and read it for myself. Rather than taint your views, read it for yourself and then be the judge. Here's the first 4 paragraphs with a link to the full text at the end

Scripture tells us that in our sufferings there is glory, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. Sometimes the truths of these words are hard to see. Right now, those words test us. Because the people of Dallas, people across the country, are suffering.
-
We’re here to honor the memory, and mourn the loss, of five fellow Americans -- to grieve with their loved ones, to support this community, to pray for the wounded, and to try and find some meaning amidst our sorrow.

For the men and women who protect and serve the people of Dallas, last Thursday began like any other day. Like most Americans each day, you get up, probably have too quick a breakfast, kiss your family goodbye, and you head to work. But your work, and the work of police officers across the country, is like no other. For the moment you put on that uniform, you have answered a call that at any moment, even in the briefest interaction, may put your life in harm’s way.

Lorne Ahrens, he answered that call. So did his wife, Katrina -- not only because she was the spouse of a police officer, but because she’s a detective on the force. They have two kids. And Lorne took them fishing, and used to proudly go to their school in uniform. And the night before he died, he bought dinner for a homeless man. And the next night, Katrina had to tell their children that their dad was gone. “They don’t get it yet,” their grandma said. “They don’t know what to do quite yet.”

Read the rest here

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-12-2016 at 08:48 PM..

Old 07-12-2016, 04:21 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,952,048 times
What scripture? The one with the squiggles?

Old 07-12-2016, 05:16 PM

17,626 posts, read 17,690,196 times
The first few paragraphs and the last lines were about the officers killed. The stuff in between were about racism of cops and the killing of two men in different states by different police departments as well as a blatant lie about it being easier to get a Glock than a book along with a call for gun control.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:23 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,604,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Gordon View Post
In another thread on this site we watched as poster after poster ranted on about what Obama about said in Dallas this morning. We read out and out lies about how he went on about the two black men killed during the week and blatantly ignored the 5 officers so tragically killed by the hands of a former soldier turned hate crime killer.

The thread exploded as posters piled on without regard to what was said, but what they wanted to think someone heard. After all, the majority were Obama haters so what better way to discredit him than to just make crap up.

I waited to comment, to have the transcript in hand and read it for myself. Rather than taint your views, read it for yourself and then be the judge. Here's the first 4 paragraphs with a link to the full text at the end

Scripture tells us that in our sufferings there is glory, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. Sometimes the truths of these words are hard to see. Right now, those words test us. Because the people of Dallas, people across the country, are suffering.

We’re here to honor the memory, and mourn the loss, of five fellow Americans -- to grieve with their loved ones, to support this community, to pray for the wounded, and to try and find some meaning amidst our sorrow.

For the men and women who protect and serve the people of Dallas, last Thursday began like any other day. Like most Americans each day, you get up, probably have too quick a breakfast, kiss your family goodbye, and you head to work. But your work, and the work of police officers across the country, is like no other. For the moment you put on that uniform, you have answered a call that at any moment, even in the briefest interaction, may put your life in harm’s way.

Lorne Ahrens, he answered that call. So did his wife, Katrina -- not only because she was the spouse of a police officer, but because she’s a detective on the force. They have two kids. And Lorne took them fishing, and used to proudly go to their school in uniform. And the night before he died, he bought dinner for a homeless man. And the next night, Katrina had to tell their children that their dad was gone. “They don’t get it yet,” their grandma said. “They don’t know what to do quite yet.”

Read the rest here
I'll read it now instead of waiting on the repeat from CSPAN.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-12-2016 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: discussing moderation

Old 07-12-2016, 05:26 PM

57,311 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
The first few paragraphs and the last lines were about the officers killed. The stuff in between were about racism of cops and the killing of two men in different states by different police departments as well as a blatant lie about it being easier to get a Glock than a book along with a call for gun control.
Do you have the text that you disagree with, let's have an intelligent conversation for once.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:26 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,604,210 times
Oh and btw, I wanted to mention that surely folks realize this was a public funeral. Their private funerals for family and friends are later.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:58 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Obama brought up the killings of Shelton and Castile over and over again - even describing how Shelton (a criminal who - had he been in jail like he needed to be for his rap sheet that was about a mile long - probably would be alive today if someone in prison didn't kill him) describing how he "cooked for everyone when he cooked." How we - and the police - need to think about how Shelton's family is grieving. (What family - his five different baby mamas? I mean, how are we going to define "family" for this guy? With a pretty wide net, I might think.)

He mentioned Castile and Shelton about four times each - BY NAME - and never in any sort of negative way in fact always in a positive way. He said the names of the dead police officers twice each.

I think that disparity says it all - but there's a lot more lecturing the police in his "memorial speech" as well. He's also lecturing white people when he says, "To have your experiences denied like that, dismissed by those in authority, dismissed even perhaps by your white friends and coworkers and fellow church members, again and again and again, it hurts."

What? I mean - I agree that there may be a time and a place for this sort of comment, but surely it wasn't at a memorial service for five police officers who were shot by a black man specifically because he thought they were white.

He spent as much time humanizing Castile and Shelton with witty anecdotes about their lives as he did on each police officer - and like I said, mentioned them twice as often (at least) by name as he did the police officers, and alluded to them and to racial discrimination by police officers over and over again.

He also said, "With an open heart, police departments will acknowledge that just like the rest of us, they're not perfect. That to insist that we do better to root out racial bias is not an attack on cops, but an effort to live up to our highest ideals." Once again - nice enough words, but at a memorial service for police officers killed by a radical racist black man?

It started out nicely, but by the end of the speech, Obama proved once again to be the Great Divider.

Oh and did anyone catch his remark about militias? That was well before his false remark that it's easier for a kid in a poor neighborhood to get a Glock than to get a book or computer. Last time I checked, the public schools and public libraries were chock full of books and computers - basically there for the taking. Every single kid in every single school district in the US has free access to both books and computers.

Sheeze.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:00 PM

57,311 posts, read 26,236,916 times
I don't see anything in that speech worthy of the hatred that is being spouted, it seemed very balanced and fair.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Do you have the text that you disagree with, let's have an intelligent conversation for once.
Here's the complete text. It wasn't at all difficult to find online. This article was the first to pop up when I put in "Obama memorial speech text today."

Dallas Shooting: President Obama Speaks at Memorial Service

Old 07-12-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
I see people who mourn for the five officers we lost, but also weep for the families of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile.
Quote:
No institution is entirely immune, and that includes our police departments. We know this.
Quote:
And so when African-Americans from all walks of life, from different communities across the country, voice a growing despair over what they perceive to be unequal treatment, when study after study shows that whites and people of color experience the criminal justice system differently. So that if you’re black, you’re more likely to be pulled over or searched or arrested; more likely to get longer sentences; more likely to get the death penalty for the same crime. When mothers and fathers raised their kids right, and have the talk about how to respond if stopped by a police officer — yes, sir; no, sir — but still fear that something terrible may happen when their child walks out the door; still fear that kids being stupid and not quite doing things right might end in tragedy.
When all this takes place, more than 50 years after the passage of the Civil Rights Act, we cannot simply turn away and dismiss those in peaceful protest as troublemakers or paranoid.
Quote:
To have your experience denied like that, dismissed by those in authority, dismissed perhaps even by your white friends and coworkers and fellow church members, again and again and again, it hurts.
Quote:
We flood communities with so many guns that it is easier for a teenager to buy a Glock than get his hands on a computer or even a book.
(Not even true, as I pointed out above.)

Quote:
Because with an open heart, we can learn to stand in each other’s shoes and look at the world through each other’s eyes. So that maybe the police officer sees his own son in that teenager with a hoodie, who’s kind of goofing off but not dangerous.

And the teenager — maybe the teenager will see in the police officer the same words, and values and authority of his parents.
Quote:
With an open heart, police departments will acknowledge that just like the rest of us, they’re not perfect.
Quote:
Protesters can get hurt. They can be frustrated. But even those who dislike the phrase “black lives matter,” surely, we should be able to hear the pain of Alton Sterling’s family.

We should — when we hear a friend describe him by saying that, whatever he cooked, he cooked enough for everybody, that should sound familiar to us, that maybe he wasn’t so different than us. So that we can, yes, insist that his life matters.
Dallas Shooting: President Obama Speaks at Memorial Service

I'm not saying that these words are untrue or inaccurate, but just because something is true doesn't mean it's always prudent to say it. After all, I haven't ONE TIME heard Obama say, "Well, you know - Shelton was a career criminal who probably should have been in jail rather than on a street corner breaking the law - again." No - that's true, but Obama doesn't feel the same compulsion to say that as he does to ADMONISH THE POLICE AT A MEMORIAL SERVICE FOR FIVE POLICE OFFICERS SLAIN BY A RADICAL RACIST.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies