Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 09:53 AM

211 posts, read 113,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Completely pathetic and risible response.

In case you haven't noticed (perhaps you're one of those people from whom the obvious is hidden?), the country is in turmoil and race-relations are at their lowest in years. People are shooting cops on the street because they are being told that the cops are out hunting blacks for sport.

How is it possibly inappropriate to look at the facts and statistics that either support or refute the narrative?
Exactly. We're tired of those who exploit isolated incidents as showpieces of massive, systematic problems as a means to increase their ratings, their sales or their agenda. Gun violence is going down every year, but if you ask the average person they think its worse than ever. Gallup polls taken independently over the past 10 years show that people think almost 25% of the population is gay, which is about a ten-fold exaggeration. Where does this misinformation come from? Its the perception created by our media and our 24/7 news sources.

Its easy to get people whipped up into a frenzy when the media reports on these shootings of unarmed Black men and ignore similar shootings of unarmed people of other races. They're creating a narrative and an assumption that this only happens to Blacks.

About twice as many Whites are killed by cops than Blacks. I know, that doesn't account for the fact that Whites outnumber Blacks 6:1. However, Blacks are far more likely to have interactions with police due to the simple fact that they make up 13% of the population, but around 50% of robberies, murders and violent crimes.
When you make up half of these criminals, you're naturally going to have more interactions with the cops, which will inevitably result in more deaths from those who assault cops, resist arrest and try to kill cops with their own guns. Someone who runs a red light 50% of the time is more likely to crash than someone who runs red lights 10% of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 09:57 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,908,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
First off, this study shows that there is a greater propensity to pull the trigger when the suspect is black, however, my problem is that this study means NOTHING TO YOU and neither does all the other STUDIES that show discrimination and bias directed at BLACK PEOPLE!!!

Secondly, take this forum in a vacuum. Based upon the opinion of people in this forum, in regards to blacks, I would assume that whites would be more reluctant to hire blacks and more likely to shoot blacks. Why? Because white rationalization is supposedly driven by statistics. Since basing your reasoning off statistics means, in your opinion, that it cannot be racism, but rather, truth, I will go with that.

Statistically, if you argue that it makes sense for the police to profile blacks because they commit more crimes or to fear blacks more than whites, because they commit crimes at a higher rate than whites, then does it not follow that cops are more likely to kill blacks than whites because blacks are seen statistically as a greater potential threat to their lives? Yeah....it does. You cannot argue on one hand that statistics show blacks are more dangerous then on the other hand argue that blacks and whites are seen no differently when confronted by cops. Cops fear black men more, especially white cops. And since fear is the number one reason cops give for killing a suspect, race place a role given that the statistics whites harp about show blacks as more dangerous. However, you cannot treat an individual based upon stereotypes concerning the group.....but people do it all the time...cops too.

I just silently listened to two white coworkers talk about these recent events. I have to honestly say there is no hope. I have come to realize that it is whites who are being programed by "white leaders" and hence they project that such is what is happening with black people. Many white folks are talk radio junkies. That is their leaders. That is where they get their information and get all fired up. Black folks, at least the ones I know, just go off life experiences and things resonate with us because we can relate with the experiences of others. We are not being led by "leaders" that shape what we think, while many white folks are.

It's majority of the ones who live predominantly white lives. You also have to remember most people on here are white conservatives.

I guarantee none of them would want to trade places with a black person whether rich middle class or poor.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:00 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,581,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
People have flawed assumptions. First, individuals have varying degree of natural talent, drive and intelligence. Hence, given a difficult situation, many above average individuals will rise about the condition, while the average person succumbs. Hence, because some people make it out of difficult circumstance is not demonstration that ALL or the average person could have or should have. Secondly, not everyone circumstance is the same. Just because you are in the same general situation does not mean that your specific situation does not vary in degree. For example, just because you went to war and came back in sound mind and body does not prove that everyone else should have also. Just because you were in combat does not mean that you walked in the same time and space as another....to catch the bullets that they caught. Ergo, black people making it despite racism is not proof that other blacks were just lazy and irresponsible. Furthermore, black people making it in spite of racism does not account for them possibly achieving more than they did, if not for racism. They may have been successful, but could have been even more successful.
Bah. Nonsense.

Blacks are not making it today in large part due to poor decisions and destructive behaviour. The same is true generally for poor whites.

Yes, again for those from whom the obvious is hidden, life is not fair and I understand well that some people have it easier than others.

But, prior to the Liberal do-gooders messing with the black family and community, black women were more likely to be married than white women. Black communities had stable families that made up communities that produced store-keepers, doctors, lawyers and accountants, as well as artists.

Contrast that with what we have today. If you drop out of school, have a baby or babies without a husband, have babies before getting a job, statistically your chance of and the chance that your children will live in poverty increases greatly.

That isn't white oppression. The same thing happens to whites when they make the same stupid decisions and behave similarly poorly.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:03 AM

26,469 posts, read 15,053,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
I guarantee none of them would want to trade places with a black person whether rich middle class or poor.
I wouldn't trade lives with anyone of any race.

Do you think that most blacks want to trade places and become white?

Old 07-12-2016, 10:03 AM

12,031 posts, read 6,561,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post

As a policeman who worked the ghetto for much of my adult life voluntarily I did not target anyone of any persuasion...well that's not exactly true because if you were white in the ghetto you were either lost...or looking to buy dope. Color never mattered primarily to me.... the crime did.
I will also be honest and say if you were in a deserted canyon in Malibu for example at 2am and were with several friends and were a minority you were either... lost going to the beach innocently.. or doing a body dump..

Why.. because this happened so many times it became normal ( in the instances of both locations)...so this predicated how I did enforcement. Color didn't have anything with primary suspicion but was secondary beaded upon behavior...you get a healthy six sense about what and who belongs routinely in your area

I never felt an us vs them...unril post Rodney king..then I felt it all the time...but I still rember who I served..for me as I have stated mst time in city state posts 90 percent of people who live in the ghetto are good people..they want to work..love their families be good citizens.. ten percent of ghetto folks should be removed from our planet... which would help the other ninety percent live peacefully

I thought the Dallas police chief demonstrated everything right about a person who happened to be a person of color in America...we do know that minority population have not EFFECTIVELY addressed the problems in rheir neighborhoods and have relied upon government to make their lives beyter. That will never happen

Remember what the Dallas chief said... don't complain..step up and sign up and make your community better

[/url]
Thank you for your service as a police officer!
For having the courage and integrity, putting yourself in harms way, to go into and deal with these dangerous neighborhoods for the safety and protection that's needed.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:10 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Black neighborhoods are terrorized by bad blacks and with the anti-police sentiments the police will just stop policing those neighborhoods and become major crime epicenter like in Chicago.

You want to work with the police to get rid of criminals. The problem is too many criminals go in/out of the system without any punishment and the other way to stop them is a bullet at some point.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:12 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Bah. Nonsense.

Blacks are not making it today in large part due to poor decisions and destructive behaviour. The same is true generally for poor whites.

Yes, again for those from whom the obvious is hidden, life is not fair and I understand well that some people have it easier than others.

But, prior to the Liberal do-gooders messing with the black family and community, black women were more likely to be married than white women. Black communities had stable families that made up communities that produced store-keepers, doctors, lawyers and accountants, as well as artists.

Contrast that with what we have today. If you drop out of school, have a baby or babies without a husband, have babies before getting a job, statistically your chance of and the chance that your children will live in poverty increases greatly.

That isn't white oppression. The same thing happens to whites when they make the same stupid decisions and behave similarly poorly.
Interesting... "Blacks (the whole race) are not making it today in large part due to blah blah blah..." The same is generally true for poor whites (that subset of whites that are underperforming)" I suppose Ben Carson, Dr. Henry Gates, Senator Corey Booker, etc., etc. and etc. are not making it today. The whole black race is a hot mess of poor decisions and destructive behavior. Got it. Thanks.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:16 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,908,718 times
Chile I can't with this thread lol ...

Old 07-12-2016, 10:17 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
You are being irrational and illogical. Sorry.

You backed off your testosterone claim as the reason why men are 98% of the unjustified police shootings I see.
You do? That's interesting because I haven't done any such thing. Anyone who insists on comparing the behavior of men vs women as a causative factor in anything needs to be put on ignore. Congratulations. Eight years here and I have never felt the need to explore that particular feature of the forum.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:19 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,581,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Interesting... "Blacks (the whole race) are not making it today in large part due to blah blah blah..." The same is generally true for poor whites (that subset of whites that are underperforming)" I suppose Ben Carson, Dr. Henry Gates, Senator Corey Booker, etc., etc. and etc. are not making it today. The whole black race is a hot mess of poor decisions and destructive behavior. Got it. Thanks.
Oh, please.

Does the obvious need to be explained to you?

Of course I was referring to poor blacks rather than successful blacks.

You are looking to be insulted. Get off that path. It leads to nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies