Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 10:57 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
We've had what, one measles death in the United States in the past 15 years? Way too much hysteria revolving around something that's statistically unimportant and not a serious risk to your health. The big corporations do a great job of getting the masses to tremble and support their corporate mandates. It's sad.
It is because of the measles vaccine there has been only 1 death.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:14 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
So now we are going to demand vaccinations of ADULTS for employment? No hiring unless you can provide your childhood vaccination records? From 30+ years ago? Good luck going back with that one. GUARD these records with you life!!!!! Talk about fear and fanaticism.

Vaccination records are not required for Public School Staff. They are not required for all "Health Care Workers" either. We were never asked for vaccination records working with MR/DD population. That also is considered a Health Care Worker.

You are facing a uphill battle demanding adult vaccinations, unlike little children you can keep out of school.

BTW, everyone of these people who caught measles now has UNVACCINATED immunity to Measles.
You have never worked in a health care facility if you think it's so unusual to require vaccine records of employees. The University of Minnesota required records from my daughter, even though she has no clinical role in their hospital system. The VA in Minneapolis would not accept written documentation that she'd had chickenpox, she had to get a titer just to go interview patients on occasion. I joked that I'd give them some documentation; she had pox everywhere including her vagina. Poor thing, she was only 5 then.

Both a hospital and health department where I worked required Hep B. I was born before 1957, so I don't know their policies on MMR.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:20 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Seems like when I was a kid in the 50s, everyone had measles, mumps, etc. Death from it was very rare.
Now that most people are vaccinated, those that get these diseases seem to have worse effects than we did. Maybe we have altered the body's ability to fight off disease.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:29 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,767 times
About 16 years ago when I was ready to start a family my OB told me I had to have a MMR shot then wait to try and conceive. When I explained I had done so as a child he told me many of the vaccinations in the 70s and 80s didn't provide lifetime immunity. At that time there had been some measles outbreaks on college campuses and I did recall that was given as the reason. Because of the timing I insisted he check my immunity and my bloodwork showed I was in fact still immune. I wasn't surprised because I was vaccinated at Ft Sam which is a medical training base so I got all the new improved vaccines.

I would think there's a possibility the infected staff fall into the age range where they may have received the ineffective vaccine. As to records, well mine were stolen in a break-in. They got some cheap costume jewelry and my shot records pretty much. I would have to try and track my records through the military and since my father and mother are no longer living I don't have any direct way to do so. I'm sure it's doable but it would take some time. I would assume that is true for many people except people for those much more organized than me- with no extenuating circumstances like theft.

Many of the illegals entering through Mexico are not Mexican. People come through from Central and South America. We are finding they also come from much farther away. Many may also be from classes their country would rather not notice thus may never have had access to vaccines.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Seems like when I was a kid in the 50s, everyone had measles, mumps, etc. Death from it was very rare.
Now that most people are vaccinated, those that get these diseases seem to have worse effects than we did. Maybe we have altered the body's ability to fight off disease.
About 450-500 people died of measles in the immediate pre-vaccine era, when the population of the US was about 1/2 of what it is today. About 4000 annually got encephalitis. That "slow" kid in your class may have been a measles victim. Mumps was a leading cause of deafness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat4 View Post
About 16 years ago when I was ready to start a family my OB told me I had to have a MMR shot then wait to try and conceive. When I explained I had done so as a child he told me many of the vaccinations in the 70s and 80s didn't provide lifetime immunity. At that time there had been some measles outbreaks on college campuses and I did recall that was given as the reason. Because of the timing I insisted he check my immunity and my bloodwork showed I was in fact still immune. I wasn't surprised because I was vaccinated at Ft Sam which is a medical training base so I got all the new improved vaccines.

I would think there's a possibility the infected staff fall into the age range where they may have received the ineffective vaccine. As to records, well mine were stolen in a break-in. They got some cheap costume jewelry and my shot records pretty much. I would have to try and track my records through the military and since my father and mother are no longer living I don't have any direct way to do so. I'm sure it's doable but it would take some time. I would assume that is true for many people except people for those much more organized than me- with no extenuating circumstances like theft.

Many of the illegals entering through Mexico are not Mexican. People come through from Central and South America. We are finding they also come from much farther away. Many may also be from classes their country would rather not notice thus may never have had access to vaccines.
I think you misunderstood what your doctor said. The measles vaccine we used today is the same vaccine that was used in 1968. From 1963-68, there was also a killed measles virus vaccine that was not very effective. It is unlikely that many of the employees at this facility received that vaccine. It was totally taken off the market in 1968. Anyone born since 1967 (you have to be at least 1 year of age to get the measles vaccine) would be 49 years old now. There was a measles epidemic in the US in 1989-91; most cases were unimmunized toddlers and preschoolers, but there was a significant number of college students. This led to the recommendation for two doses. It seems it always takes a crisis.

Central and South America is pretty good at vaccinating. However, it is probable that the "Patient 0" was unvaccinated.

Records can be tricky. It is not harmful to get another dose of MMR if no record can be found. If the person is immune, the dose is a booster; if not, they get immunity.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:58 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My generation, including the "health professionals" posting on here, all had DEADLY measles before that precious vaccine ever came out. We survived ALL those "now" deadly diseases.

Today every disease for which there is a vaccine is now called deadly, including the FLU. Do you seriously think that the public would stand for forced Flu shots for the "health of the country"? Or do you think it is only the old time COMMON Childhood diseases which should be forced vaccination?

Only forced vaccinations? There is another thread about Chemo. One poster said that an Adult should be forced to have Chemo to "save her from herself". Very dangerous mindset, as is your's. No forced Medical Treatment, PERIOD.

Granny says NO to forced ANY forced Medical Treatments, including vaccinations, be that for children or adults.

Agreed.

The real frightening scenario is the number of American sheeple willing to be goose-srepped into every needle, and call it "intellectualism." Even the Malawis put up a fight when the Gates Foundation arrived to administer vaccinations--until they were all herded back and inoculated at gunpoint.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Agreed.

The real frightening scenario is the number of American sheeple willing to be goose-srepped into every needle, and that "intellectualism." Even the Malawis put up a fight when the Gates Foundation arrived to administer vaccinations--until they were all herded back and inoculated at gunpoint.
That's an urban legend. There were guards to protect the vaccinators. Vaccinators have been shot and killed by the Taliban, etc in some countries. The anti-vaxers love that trope. Some kids in Maryland had to enter a building that had security guards and they said the same thing.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:10 AM

20,718 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Largest US measles outbreak in Arizona after people refused vaccinations | 12NEWS.com

Anti-science and anti-intellectualism strikes again! And these workers are paying for it now. Everyone should be getting their basic vaccines.

You mean to tell me Mexico's best is too stupid to know about science?

Old 07-12-2016, 09:16 AM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
"If the person is immune, the dose is a booster".

Yep, one can never have too many vaccinations. Cradle to Grave. Big Pharm would just love your statement. Have you gotten your "booster" even though you had measles?

Old 07-12-2016, 10:28 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Largest US measles outbreak in Arizona after people refused vaccinations | 12NEWS.com

Anti-science and anti-intellectualism strikes again! And these workers are paying for it now. Everyone should be getting their basic vaccines.

The "anti-science" crowd are the usual suspects, clamining always "superior knowledge". Those:

1. condemning vaccinations

2. opposing GMOs

3. supporting global warming

4. support "holistic" medical treatments

5. supporting daily use of "vitamins"

Same crowd- same ignorance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies