Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 01:14 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I have worked with all different races, and never really had any problems. I get along well with everyone, because I don't shove my political views or beliefs in the face of others against their will. Life is just so much easier when you learn to play nice and live and let live.

But I have seen racism in the workplace. In particular, I have heard African Americans saying some pretty nasty things to and about Hispanics. Sometimes, Hispanics will do the same about African Americans. I keep out of the garbage, but I have heard much of it.

Why is there a witch hunt for white racism when other forms of racism are so pervasive, yet tolerated? I never see companies trying to tackle the issue. They don't seem to care about racism unless it's white vs black, or if it effects productivity in some way. Of course, we only hear about white racism from politicians, because it's such a useful tool to them. But why does society have to operate like this?
Why is there a double standard in this situation. A person with a history of cardiac arrest and a person without a history of cardiac arrest. Both experience some chest pain? Why does the person with a history of cardiac arrest freak out while the person without such a history dismisses it as indigestion?

It amazes me how intelligent people conveniently dismiss history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 01:22 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Why is there a double standard in this situation. A person with a history of cardiac arrest and a person without a history of cardiac arrest. Both experience some chest pain? Why does the person with a history of cardiac arrest freak out while the person without such a history dismisses it as indigestion?

People turn their brains off when it comes to race.

Old 07-10-2016, 01:26 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
People turn their brains off when it comes to race.
Exactly...and why would they use selective intellect if not to avoid learning the truth?

Old 07-10-2016, 01:31 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I have worked with all different races, and never really had any problems. I get along well with everyone, because I don't shove my political views or beliefs in the face of others against their will. Life is just so much easier when you learn to play nice and live and let live.

But I have seen racism in the workplace. In particular, I have heard African Americans saying some pretty nasty things to and about Hispanics. Sometimes, Hispanics will do the same about African Americans. I keep out of the garbage, but I have heard much of it.

Why is there a witch hunt for white racism when other forms of racism are so pervasive, yet tolerated? I never see companies trying to tackle the issue. They don't seem to care about racism unless it's white vs black, or if it effects productivity in some way. Of course, we only hear about white racism from politicians, because it's such a useful tool to them. But why does society have to operate like this?
Well, how far back into history do you want to take this one? Colonial Times?

For the record I blame white people for this country's current "black problem". (At least our ancestors anyway.) The people of white/Western European descent had no right to forcefully remove those indigenous people of Africa and use them as slave labor because we were too lazy to do it ourselves and too greedy to pay white hands a fair wage to do it. It's easily America's most glaring blunder as a nation and here we are still paying dearly for it 250 years later.

Old 07-10-2016, 01:32 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,895 times
Quote:
Exactly...and why would they use selective intellect if not to avoid learning the truth?
Cognitive dissonance & the related dissonance reduction.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:55 PM

29,797 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Well, how far back into history do you want to take this one? Colonial Times?

For the record I blame white people for this country's current "black problem". (At least our ancestors anyway.) The people of white/Western European descent had no right to forcefully remove those indigenous people of Africa and use them as slave labor because we were too lazy to do it ourselves and too greedy to pay white hands a fair wage to do it. It's easily America's most glaring blunder as a nation and here we are still paying dearly for it 250 years later.
The white people who enslaved and persecuted African Americans are long gone. Many white Americans are descendants of Europeans who arrived long after slavery was abolished.

I have no white guilt, because my ancestors did not have it very easy either. In fact, their community was sometimes persecuted by Americans when they arrived. But they didn't take it out on others. No sir, they worked their ass off trying to make it in America, and they eventually did. And then their children continued with the tradition, and found an even better life. That's how progress happens. By contributing something positive to society, and lifting oneself up by the bootstraps.

The crappy thing was, their community was eventually destroyed by the race riots in Detroit. They had to pack up and leave after the second break in. My grandfather simply was not going to tolerate the risk that his family had to endure, so he left. And the community fell apart not too long after. It probably sucked watching African Americans literally destroying their own community, and I definitely don't blame them for leaving. I would have done the same thing. Any sensible person would.

Quote:

It sounds like you are living in the past. White people have moved on a long time ago. Others choose not to. Which is fine, as this is a free nation. African Americans have every right to be bitter and angry, but it will never solve anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies