Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 06:39 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

OP I know what you mean. My husband and I were in the shoe department yesterday in Dillards, and the two men working there were young African American men. I wondered how they would respond to two middle aged white people.

They were both very polite and friendly. I hope they think the same about us (we didn't give them any reason to think otherwise).

It was nice.

Old 07-11-2016, 06:47 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
I still believe America is a nation of moderates, it's just that most people voicing their opinion have more extreme positions. Sadly nearly all media outlets are controlled by some form of extremism. I think most Whites know that there is a problem with policing and the justice system, likewise most Blacks know they have problems too such as pop culture that glorifies a lawless lifestyle.

When I'm out and about you can definitely sense more tension when around Blacks or Hispanics. It's a vibe that wasn't nearly as noticeable 5+ years ago. The vibe I get isn't of hate but of frustration. I think everyone had unrealistic expectations that electing Obama would end all these problems and that's why everyone is so mad. Blacks thought their lives would change for the better, Whites thought that elected a Black president would end any "false" complaints that racism is still a problem.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:14 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I still believe America is a nation of moderates, it's just that most people voicing their opinion have more extreme positions. Sadly nearly all media outlets are controlled by some form of extremism. I think most Whites know that there is a problem with policing and the justice system, likewise most Blacks know they have problems too such as pop culture that glorifies a lawless lifestyle.

When I'm out and about you can definitely sense more tension when around Blacks or Hispanics. It's a vibe that wasn't nearly as noticeable 5+ years ago. The vibe I get isn't of hate but of frustration. I think everyone had unrealistic expectations that electing Obama would end all these problems and that's why everyone is so mad. Blacks thought their lives would change for the better, Whites thought that elected a Black president would end any "false" complaints that racism is still a problem.
Wow, I just don't get that vibe.

I live in Texas, which is one of four majority/minority states in the US. That means that white, non-Hispanics make up less that 50 percent of the population. This is obvious to me as I go about my daily business if I go to any place of business.

I feel completely safe. But who knows - maybe I really just live in LaLa Land.

That being said, the entire US is projected (via birth and migration rates) to be majority/minority by 2043 and minority kids are already now the majority in ten states (and three of those ten states have some of the highest overall populations in the US).

Something to think about.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:31 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
And how have you changed when in passing with others?
What did you expect strangers to do as they pass you on the street or even Coworkers at work?

At least Texans say hello. In NYC you might get a FU no matter what color you are.

What do you expect in strangers? If you want a hug, go to church or home to mom.
We don't have enough adveristy in this country and you have to add to the mix?

I live in CA. but was born and raised in NY. I was back there in 2014 for the first time in many years, yes. I do find people there more abrupt and rushed compared to here.

But I had to stop and ask for directions a few times, I had a guy walk me to the correct subway platform. a woman at Penn Station(when I needed to take the commuter train back to my aunt's house) say "that's my
train stick with me", I sat with her and we chatted the whole time.

Also stopped two other people and they were very helpful.

So much for your theory. Does everyone in TX wear cowboy boots and say "y'all".

And I have spent time in TX, there are some very nice people and there are also jerks. just like everywhere.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:37 AM

15,625 posts, read 10,380,316 times
Why would a white person treat you differently, Gunion? Your comment says much about your mindset.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:43 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,289,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
But, nope, business as usual. They still smile at me in passing and say "Hi there buddy" or "how's your day going?"...as if our nation isn't flirting with a race war.
As soon as they pass by they calling you ****** so you are wrong they arent treating you differently. Exactly the same as they been treating the black race for half a millenia.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:45 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post

Yes, it is a country of moderates, and of course media focuses on the extremes.

Personally I have not sensed any change in 'vibes' in the last 5, 10, 15 or 20 years. Is business as usual.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:46 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,289,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Wow, I just don't get that vibe.

I live in Texas, which is one of four majority/minority states in the US. That means that white, non-Hispanics make up less that 50 percent of the population. This is obvious to me as I go about my daily business if I go to any place of business.

I feel completely safe. But who knows - maybe I really just live in LaLa Land.

That being said, the entire US is projected (via birth and migration rates) to be majority/minority by 2043 and minority kids are already now the majority in ten states (and three of those ten states have some of the highest overall populations in the US).

Something to think about.
For a bunch of racists they sure are stupid letting non whites outnumber them in their own Nations.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:51 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
As soon as they pass by they calling you ****** so you are wrong they arent treating you differently. Exactly the same as they been treating the black race for half a millenia.
That's the irony of my OP, bro. Hell, just read most of the responses in this thread.

Believe me, I know where we stand.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:55 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
But, nope, business as usual. They still smile at me in passing and say "Hi there buddy" or "how's your day going?"...as if our nation isn't flirting with a race war.
People don't seem to understand just how fragile society actually is. The only thing that holds us together right now, is government force. If you were to remove the police tomorrow, the hatred and distrust in this country, would spread in all directions.

Among "Constitutionalists", there is a reference to the "three-percent". Which was the tiny fraction of the population who actively fought against the British in the American Revolution.

If even 1% of the population felt a certain way, in a country of ~320 million people, that is more than three million people. If there were 3% who felt a certain way, that would be nearly 10 million.

If one man in Dallas can do this much damage, imagine what a hundred, or a thousand, or ten-thousand could do. Let-alone ten million.

If there were enough people, the police would simply become overwhelmed, or might even refuse to do their jobs. They would have to call in the Army, and you could have tanks rolling down American streets, all across the country, with curfews, and mass-imprisonment/raiding of neighborhoods.

It wouldn't take long to turn America into Syria. And then, who's side are you on?

Everyone knows that in the case of Trayvon Martin, nearly all blacks took one side, and nearly all whites took another. This same pattern is seen elsewhere, from Baltimore, to Minnesota, to Los Angeles.

Big Racial Divide over Zimmerman Verdict | Pew Research Center

I mean, I'm friendly with foreigners, but it doesn't mean I want to share a country with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGgaXXBkE8A

Last edited by Redshadowz; 07-11-2016 at 08:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies