Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2016, 09:25 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Gordon View Post
Thank you JustMike for having the intellectual honesty to acknowledge what was in fact a very good speech. I didn't watch him deliver it because his speaking style is good enough to only add to how i would feel about it.

For all the bluster and blow, most of the whining has little to do with content and more to do with the fact people hate him. Far more time was spent on the officers and all the good they did in helping save bystanders during the assault (as it should have been).

For him to show up in Dallas and not address the issues tearing this country apart would have been far worse than addressing those concerns and pissing off those of you who hated him already. For the handful of you that posted the portions that angered you, my compliments. At least you could explain why. For the rest, it's about what i would expect from those who cannot articulate a point beyond your hate.

Tomorrow should be telling, because those in attendance, family members of the slain officers and others in the room will be the real judges.

I just reread the speech again in it's entirety, looking for all the crap i've seen spewed hear. JustMike was spot on, this speech was far removed from the tripe you are claiming. Tomorrow i'll break down some of your preposterous claims by posting the portions you claimed were out of line..should be an interesting exercise.
Remarks tend to say more about the commenter than anything else.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:31 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,605,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Oh I understand perfectly. Hence, the need for the backpedaling.

Obama said nothing offensive in his speech. Nothing. Some people just need to fill their days with poutrage, I almost feel bad for a person like that.
You are advertising the fact that you do not understand. What you are typing is irrational, then insulting. The people you are arguing with did not propose that his words were offensive.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:39 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
So like I've asked you several times now - do you think it would be appropriate for the President to go to Sterling's memorial service and discuss Sterling's life of crime, the faults of his neighborhood and upbringing, and then go on to discuss how the families of these five slain officers are hurting and angry too?
Why would he discuss Sterling's life of crime? He in no way faulted the Dallas officers for anything. He said (to paraphrase) that in certain ways the police (as a whole) can do better and in certain ways the community can do better, and stop making the officer's lives so difficult. Often in the same sentence.

Your example is hyperbolic and not at all equivalent.

And he mentioned the officers several times collectively, calling them heroes and outstanding men, because it woukd have been clunky indeed to repeat all five names individually when the collective pronoun was more suitable.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:41 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Lol, nice backpedaling. So precious.
Read all of her posts. Kathryn has been extremely consistent, so I've no idea where you're seeing "backpedaling."

Welcome to politics where the politically biased see things that aren't even there.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Yes, and speaking at length about why the murderer justifiably felt the way he did at a memorial for the peacekeepers he killed, is wrong.
At length?

That the shooter was demented and racist cannot be disputed.

Obama also remarked about those who use rhetoric suggesting harm to police and those who paint all officers as biased as being a part of the problem.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:01 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Why would he discuss Sterling's life of crime? He in no way faulted the Dallas officers for anything. He said (to paraphrase) that in certain ways the police (as a whole) can do better and in certain ways the community can do better, and stop making the officer's lives so difficult. Often in the same sentence.

Your example is hyperbolic and not at all equivalent.

And he mentioned the officers several times collectively, calling them heroes and outstanding men, because it woukd been clunky indeed to repeat all five names individually when the collective pronoun was more suitable.
Let me ask you this - since you're ignoring something very pertinent in my question - maybe I'll finally get an answer from someone.

Would you consider it appropriate for Obama to go to a memorial service for Sterling, with Sterling's family sitting on the front row, and for him to chastise inner city neighborhoods and the people who live there for their faults? Would you consider it appropriate for him to say, "It's a shame that with all the free books and free computers in public schools and libraries, that young men instead reach for a Glock?"

Old 07-13-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Will you agree that it is also easy to acquire the use of a computer or books, provided for free at the public library? The problem is that the kids in the neighborhood would rather get a gun than a book.
Libraries don't exist in some communities or are too distant. Not all libraries have computers for public use.

In some communities, it is indeed easier to acquire a gun than a book or computer.

Some, not all, kids in some communities prefer a gun to a computer or book. And it's not limited to the so called bad neighborhoods.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:04 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Libraries don't exist in some communities or are too distant. Not all libraries have computers for public use.

In some communities, it is indeed easier to acquire a gun than a book or computer.
There are public schools FILLED with libraries, books and computers in every inner city community in this country.

But of course, one needs to WANT to read or study first.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:16 AM

Fascinating how differently we perceive the transcript ( for those who actually read it) and how our own biases and perception of Obama influence our perceptions, regardless of the words.

Heck, no doubt some into the inflammatory BLM thing are probably outraged that Obama condemned rhetoric that calls for harming police or paints all officers as biased.

As another poster remarked, had Reagan made the same speech, reactions would likely been different.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:16 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Let me ask you this - since you're ignoring something very pertinent in my question - maybe I'll finally get an answer from someone.

Would you consider it appropriate for Obama to go to a memorial service for Sterling, with Sterling's family sitting on the front row, and for him to chastise inner city neighborhoods and the people who live there for their faults? Would you consider it appropriate for him to say, "It's a shame that with all the free books and free computers in public schools and libraries, that young men instead reach for a Glock?"
I've read the speech and Obama did NOT say the equivalent about the officers who were killed. Not even close. He praised those individual officers and police throughout the country while acknowledging that there is a great deal of tension between the police and the black community right now. He praised the Dallas police force in particular for making improvements in relations between the police and the community.

Your hypothetical comments are not an accurate reflection of what Obama said at the memorial service about the police officers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies