Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 12:39 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,539,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post

This paragraph alone reeks with Narcissism. For example. The first statement could have easily been worded, "most American's are disgusted that this evil man took 5 innocent, and are probably feeling, depressed and sad that our country has these kinds of problems." The Presidents understanding of their feelings is irrelevant. We don't care how he feels. Why would we care that he understands how citizens are feeling? I write speeches for a living. This is now how its done, unless you're an arrogant ass.
your hate is noted. In a paragraph where he is telling Americans that he understands their pain, you see it as arrogance.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:48 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Obama Mentions Himself 45 Times In Dallas Memorial Speech | The Daily Caller

No matter who he is giving a speech to, or no matter what the speech is about, Obama haters will criticize it without reading it or listening to it. What hateful rhetoric from such bitter, hateful people
Fixed your quote for you.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:49 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,624,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
your hate is noted. In a paragraph where he is telling Americans that he understands their pain, you see it as arrogance.
Maybe because Obummer has never proven by actions or deeds, that he cares 1 iota about America. He has proven it time and time again. So yes, it is arrogance on his part.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Maybe because Obummer has never proven by actions or deeds, that he cares 1 iota about America. He has proven it time and time again. So yes, it is arrogance on his part.
You disagree with the president ideologically. there is no action or deed he could do that you approved of.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:11 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,624,440 times
Quote:
You disagree with the president ideologically. there is no action or deed he could do that you approved of.
So far...why dont you tell me what glorious things he has done as an act of selfless devotion to ALL Americans? Can you?

Old 07-13-2016, 05:09 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Interesting, he mentions by name and in a short bio of each officer slain in Dallas:

Michael Krol answered that call. His mother said, “He knew the dangers of the job, but he never shied away from his duty.” He came a thousand miles from his home state of Michigan to be a cop in Dallas, telling his family, “This is something I wanted to do.” Last year, he brought his girlfriend back to Detroit for Thanksgiving, and it was the last time he’d see his family.

Michael Smith answered that call -- in the Army, and over almost 30 years working for the Dallas Police Association, which gave him the appropriately named “Cops Cop” award. A man of deep faith, when he was off duty, he could be found at church or playing softball with his two girls. Today, his girls have lost their dad, for God has called Michael home.

Patrick Zamarripa, he answered that call. Just 32, a former altar boy who served in the Navy and dreamed of being a cop. He liked to post videos of himself and his kids on social media. And on Thursday night, while Patrick went to work, his partner Kristy posted a photo of her and their daughter at a Texas Rangers game, and tagged her partner so that he could see it while on duty.

Brent Thompson answered that call. He served his country as a Marine. And years later, as a contractor, he spent time in some of the most dangerous parts of Iraq and Afghanistan. And then a few years ago, he settled down here in Dallas for a new life of service as a transit cop. And just about two weeks ago, he married a fellow officer, their whole life together waiting before them.
He mentions Alton Sterling and Philando Castile both three times while at the same time applauding the entire Dallas police department, the mayor and the cities police chief.

Now if saying in context of the speech that the following is an example of narcissism…well we need a new definition of the word:
I understand. I understand how Americans are feeling. But, Dallas, I’m here to say we must reject such despair. I’m here to insist that we are not as divided as we seem. And I know that because I know America. I know how far we’ve come against impossible odds. (Applause.) I know we’ll make it because of what I’ve experienced in my own life, what I’ve seen of this country and its people -- their goodness and decency --as President of the United States. And I know it because of what we’ve seen here in Dallas -- how all of you, out of great suffering, have shown us the meaning of perseverance and character, and hope.
Anyway read what you want to read and decide what you want to decide ignore the context and the subtleties of language and then ignore what is plain for anyone to see. Most have done this for the last seven years. I have no expectations that this will change anytime soon.
He didn't simply mention Alton Sterling and Philandro Castile - he gave the same sort of "bio" of personal anecdotes for both of them as he did for the slain police officers.

This wasn't a memorial service for these guys. I guess my question would be this - would people think it was tasteful and appropriate for him to share personal bios and anecdotes of the five slain police officers at a memorial service for either of these two men?

For the record, I believe that Philandro Castile's shooting was nearly certainly criminal - and he wasn't a criminal. But Alton Sterling? Please. He was a felon brandishing a gun and engaging in even more criminal activity (as a felon, he shouldn't have even had a gun, for starters). The man had a rap sheet a mile long. He was a CAREER CRIMINAL. I don't think it was at all appropriate to eulogize this criminal at the memorial service for the slain officers.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:10 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Would you say that it's fair to categorize people who opposed every word that Bush said in the same way?

Old 07-13-2016, 05:34 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,471,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post

This paragraph alone reeks with Narcissism. For example. The first statement could have easily been worded, "most American's are disgusted that this evil man took 5 innocent, and are probably feeling, depressed and sad that our country has these kinds of problems." The Presidents understanding of their feelings is irrelevant. We don't care how he feels. Why would we care that he understands how citizens are feeling? I write speeches for a living. This is now how its done, unless you're an arrogant ass.
If the wording of the speech was the issue, maybe people ought to take it up with the President's speech writer! But it is not, is it? No matter what he spoke this thread would have been written in some form or other. If anyone doesn't care "how he feels", maybe they should just move on instead of counting how many times he spoke of how he feels.

BTW, "...reeks of Narcissism." One could go on about the quantification of 'pronoun usage' in the speech and commentary surrounding it, but you "write speeches for a living"..., so...

That said, I couldn't help noticing that the OP talks about 'Narcacism'. LOL.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Would you say that it's fair to categorize people who opposed every word that Bush said in the same way?
Yes obviously.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
So far...why dont you tell me what glorious things he has done as an act of selfless devotion to ALL Americans? Can you?
What do you define as "selfless devotion" ?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies