Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2016, 03:00 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
FWIW, I'm a black woman and I have never been accused of being a prostitute. Hardly any women just walking down the street or even wearing revealing clothing are harrassed by police for being prostitutes, which actually proves the point of Indentured Servant in this regard.
So... you're alleging prostitutes never get arrested? Might want to rethink that.

Quote:
On the reverse very few black people in general are criminals either, so it doesn't make sense to profile and harrass them/stop them frequently either.
Actually, it does make sense because Blacks commit crimes at 4 to 5 times the rate that Whites do. I already posted the FBI stats.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:01 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Calling the Barbary Pirates "Africans" is kind of stretching it. Yes, they were based in Africa, but ethnically they were Arab. Not really pertinent given the OP's thread theme.

To be fair, I'm not aware of a situation where blacks have taken whites as slaves to any large degree. They enslaved each other, and possibly some Arabs, but I can't think of a good example of Africans having white slaves.

My bad. Just have seen a lot of rhetoric lately about Cleopatra and Egyptians being Black. Just thought they were considered black in northern Africa also........

Old 07-13-2016, 03:04 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The VAST majority of rapes are done by men, so would it be right to treat you as less than equal to women?
What it means to logical people is that if cops are called to the scene reported as an active rape that they will initially be paying most of their attention to men as they approach.

It means that if they see a man running from the scene, it makes logical sense to stop and question that man as they gather information as to what is happening.

If there happens to be a serial rapist in a park, it's logical for the police to be more observant of men who are wandering around that park.

But let's not force you to accept logic.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:08 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They're true. From the FBI. The link is in my post.

Not just "more." The difference in crime rates is SIGNIFICANT. If you're unhappy with people assuming that those KNOWN TO COMMIT crimes AT THE HIGHEST RATE are more dangerous than others, guess what the solution to that is?

THEY NEED TO STOP COMMITTING SO MANY CRIMES.
There you go again. THEY. The whole group.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:08 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
My bad. Just have seen a lot of rhetoric lately about Cleopatra and Egyptians being Black. Just thought they were considered black in northern Africa also........
No worries. That part of the world is Arab due to the Muslim conquests. The Egyptians were probably darker but they weren't black either. They did genetic testing on one of the pharaohs and he was haplogroup R, which is also one of the most common groups in europe. He also had red hair.

The Sahara was pretty effective at separating southern Africa from Northern Africa.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:11 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Are you afraid of being called a racist. Let me ask you a question. Do you think whites would be in any better position today if they were carted off to a country as a racial minority and abused by another race of people for centuries in the way that blacks were? Is the black condition atypical for humans given what they have experienced as a people?
Let me ask YOU a question... Would Black slavery have existed in America if Black Africans hadn't FIRST sold those African Blacks into slavery for profit and gain?

Old 07-13-2016, 03:12 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
There you go again. THEY. The whole group.
It certainly seems that the THEY would be those commuting crimes. If less black criminals committed crimes, the black community as a whole would be profiled less by police.

Once again - logic.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:13 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
A lot of present racism may be offset by white guilt, but the cancer that eats at blacks is the legacy impact of past racism.

My solution is simple. Reparations. A Marshall plan targeted specifically at the black community with programs and efforts from birth to grave. Not in the form of a check to individuals, but social, cultural, economical and psychological engineering that offsets the damage that was done to those things over the centuries.
Interesting idea. The problem I'm foreseeing is that black America is nothing like post WW2 Japan and Germany. Those nations were highly motivated to rebuild and highly industrious. Very few cultures can compare to Germany and Japan in terms of work ethic and innovation. And there's the other side of the coin there. Germany was divided into four and then occupied. That occupation lasted (in one degree or another) from 1945 to 1988 and to some degree it's still ongoing. (There are still US military bases there.) Japan was occupied and ruled over like a vassal state for awhile. Japan is still not allowed to conduct any military operations outside its own borders and is still occupied by US troops today.

The point is that the Marshal Plan may not be a good parallel. There are aspects of it you wouldn't want.

But if you do something along the lines of reparations, my biggest concern is this: How do you ensure that it helps black Americans become better people? How do you keep it from causing the same kinds of problems that the current nanny state federal programs do? The real goal is to improve the quality of character, work ethic and entrepreneurial spirit in black America. How do you actually do that?

Bear in mind, many programs have been done and done and done. Like emptying the projects and relocating everyone into upper-middle class neighborhoods. That's always a disaster. The projects aren't crap holes because of their geographic location. They are what they are because of the people living there. All they accomplished was ruining the communities they moved everyone into -- and yet governments keep trying the same tactic anyways. Programs have been tried that drain money away from rich suburbs and give it to poorer urban schools has been done as well and it hasn't really helped. Again, it's the people that are the problem. Inner city schools might get better facilities but are still just as violent and crime ridden as ever. So again, it didn't really help things.

What kinds of things can you think of that actually help? Just throwing money at the problem is stupid. You need a results driven plan and you need accountability.

I'm still convinced that the only chance for real change is for black American communities to change from within. I can't think of any scenario where outside help will improve things.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Your interactions with people as a civilian will never equate to what cops have to go through.

Doesn't excuse when there's inexcusable behavior, of course. But it's just like being a soldier in an enemy land, tasked with a job and being immersed in combat and having to make decisions as to who is enemy and who is just a civilian.

And right there's something this country needs to throw in the trash bin -- the idea that the police are the good guys and the citizenry are the enemy. Generally speaking, when the military fights an enemy, it's not citizens of their own country. It's a foreign enemy. Frankly, I'm beginning to wonder if we should prevent ex-military men from being local policemen.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I got treated that way, too. Just because I was on my way home very late at night. Had nothing to do with race. Had everything to do with the circumstance. Of course, I hadn't done anything wrong. I was just questioned as to why I was out so late. It looked suspicious to the LEOs.
Why in America should that happen? Were you in a restricted area? Did you not have a right to be where you were?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies