Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 07:33 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,813,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I believe black people are treated differently than white people by the police.
There's a logical reason for that...

Look at the stats, then separate Hispanic ethnicity out from the stats for Whites because the FBI only does that on the far right side of the chart.

What you get when you do that...

Non-Hispanic Whites, which are 61% of the population (per the US Census Bureau), commit:

36% of all murders and manslaughters
49% of all rapes
33.6% of all robberies
48% of all aggravated assaults
54% of all burglaries
58.4% of all larceny-thefts
49.5% of all motor vehicle thefts
59.6% of all arsons
53.5% of all forgeries and counterfeitings
55.5% of all embezzlments
43.8% of all weapons violations
43.3% of all prostitution and commercialized vice
Etc.

ALL under 61%.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...ables/table-43

Now contrast that with Blacks. They're are just 13% of the population (per the US Census Bureau), but commit:

51.3% of all murders and manslaughters
29.9% of all rapes
55.9% of all robberies
33.1% of all aggravated assaults
30.2% of all burglaries
28% of all larceny-thefts
30.7% of all motor vehicle thefts
23.4% of all arsons
34% of all forgeries and counterfeitings
35.6% of all embezzlments
40.7% of all weapons violations
41.8% of all prostitution and commercialized vice
Etc.

ALL well OVER 13%.

It's completely logical for LEOs to be significantly more wary of Blacks than Whites.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:34 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I believe black people are treated differently than white people by the police. I grew up in a ghetto area-- San Bernardino to be exact -- where I observed this. As a white kid, I was more or less left alone by the cops. I can't say the same for the black and Mexican kids. As an adult, I see the videos on tv and am told by black people that they feel harassed by the cops. I have no reason to doubt them. In 2016, it's totally unacceptable for black Americans to receive different treatment by the police than other citizens. I suppose I should join a BLM march to let others know it's not just black people who have a problem this.
"I grew up in a ghetto area"

Are you denying that people who live ghettos act the same as those who don't?

If SO, why is it that the crime rate so high there?

Why is it that MORE young single girls get pregnant there?

Why is it that the highs school drop out is higher there?

It appears you "got out" and did something of value with YOUR life. Why can't a majority of others in your same environment?

Old 07-13-2016, 07:34 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,556,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Why did black men in the 60's feel that they needed to tell America that they are MEN?'

Because they had an inferiority complex.

Back then it was common slang to call ALL males "boy" or "boys" no matter what the age.

I could come with dozens of examples but, you wouldn't care.

Blacks, as usual, thought when THEY were called a boy was a direct insult when it WASN'T.

That would be true if it wasn't for the fact that MANY people PURPOSEFULLY used the term to BE INSULTING.

It happened. It is true.

Thing is you seem unwilling to put yourself in their shoes.

Obviously you should never refer to a stranger as "boy", because you don't know where they are coming from. Some of my black friends today would lose their mind if I called them boy, while others would take no offense because they know me and know it is just an expression.

Doesn't make either of them right or wrong. They just come from different places and have different experiences that has shaped their worldview differently.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:36 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
People like you are much appreciated. Thank you. Here is the thing. Even if you had not witnessed it yourself, that blacks are treated differently (and not just by the police) RESPECT BLACK HUMANITY WHEN THEY SAY IT IS SO!!!! If we were respected, then you would not have to witness it for yourself to believe us. If we were respected as a people, we would be given the benefit of the doubt when people are not able to see things for themselves. However, in America, we are not given that benefit because our humanity is not nor has ever been respected.
Respect has to be GAINED.

MANY blacks ARE respected. Ghetto thugs are NOT.

How do you expect to get respect when an indecent like Ferguson happens and the "blacks" IMMEDIATELY BLAME the police,by bonkers, riot, destroy EVERYTHING in their path ALL BEFORE the first trace of an investigation has Started?

And WORSE KEEP REPEATING the lie with their hands up sillience.

When they EARN respect, they will get it. NOT UNTIL.

Last edited by Quick Enough; 07-13-2016 at 07:45 AM..

Old 07-13-2016, 07:39 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
OK, Here is where I have a problem with your premise.

I would point out that I believe that racism still exists, however there are a TON of false cries of racism. In fact the amount of false cries is so large and pervasive even coming from black professionals and even professors, it is amazing.

I used to ALWAYS give the benefit of the doubt. Not as much anymore.

Did you ever consider THAT is the reason there is a bit of doubt in the minds of some?

There have been numerous studies shared in various threads concerning the statistical FACT that overall there is NOT a "war against blacks" by the police.

Now this doesn't mean that in some places there might be. I believe Ferguson was actually pretty bad in that regard. I think Dallas had a big problem awhile back but has done a tremendous job cleaning it up. Some places are better than others.

The whole "Hands up Don't Shoot" meme came from the Michael Brown incident. In another thread (perhaps started by you) someone said something along the lines of "Some had said the MB thing was predicated on a lie...as if that matters"

Well it DOES matter.

MB's friend told everyone how he was just so cooperative and had his hands up saying don't shoot and the policeman shot him down like an animal.

THAT WAS A LIE. But that falsehood is the motto of BLM????

That is so terribly wrong on so many levels.

I cannot feel empathy for something that is UNTRUE. Can't you understand that?

False narratives and fake incidents only makes the American community at large less inclined to take real incidences seriously. You HAVE to be able to understand that. It is human nature "The Boy who Cried Wolf" story and all that.

So, yes on the one hand I can certainly appreciate that in some locales there is a very real problem, but part of the blame for the lack of "respect" as you call it, has to be shared by those in the black community that would exploit a real problem for gain or self promotion.

I am 100% for bringing the hammer down HARD on any real case of discrimination or mistreatment by those in positions of power, but I would also bring the hammer down equally hard on those who are found to be crying wolf, because frankly, it is just as damaging to the ultimate cause of getting real racism and discrimination out of all our lives.
Here is my problem with your rebuttal. How many people, black or white, have been found innocent of crimes after serving time in jail, often for decades? In other words, police arrest people falsely too, but do you discredit the justice system the same way that you discredit blacks for getting it wrong sometimes?

Look....every group gets it wrong from time to time. Humans are deceptive beings. Black people do it, white people do it. Thus, it comes down again, why do you disrespect blacks MORE, if we all deceive? Why do you believe the police over blacks, when the police have a history of false arrest? Explain.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 07-13-2016 at 07:49 AM..

Old 07-13-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
"Why did black men in the 60's feel that they needed to tell America that they are MEN?'

Because they had an inferiority complex.

Back then it was common slang to call ALL males "boy" or "boys" no matter what the age.

I could come with dozens of examples but, you wouldn't care.

Blacks, as usual, thought when THEY were called a boy was a direct insult when it WASN'T.
Ok.....so you are saying that the complex in blacks had nothing to do with being seen and treated as inferior by white society during that time? Did white racism have ANY impact whatsoever on the psychology, culture, economics or lives of blacks?

Old 07-13-2016, 07:41 AM

35,691 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:

It appears you "got out" and did something of value with YOUR life. Why can't a majority of others in your same environment?
Do you know why black people where originally limited in a corner of a city? regardless of location, they were pooled into one area and not accepted in other for many years- it becomes depressed and no different than anywhere else in the world where separations happens. I detest HOA's and gated communities and sometimes appalled on how they treat each other in the same community- imagine same attitude openly in the cities and towns
- Oppressed communities do not do well- and not just the black... see how they were treated in the Hispanic schools in LA? similar story-- why is that? and this is in OUR lifetime

Old 07-13-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:

How about you tell us. Racism is not revealed in the observations that people make, but rather, the explanation. How about you share your explanation for the things you note and then we compare that with the definition of racism via webster.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:46 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
As a white/japanese/Hawaiian mixed girl, I don't even think I can answer generally on behalf of all mixed people, but generally, I don't think of "black people" as one homogenous group.. I also am not so sure if I am happy with the ideas that others need to be lumped into one giant category called "white" people.

Like for example, I have a lot more in common with a black british or German, or black American than I do with a white individual from Russia or a japanese person from Japan. (not like there is anything wrong with them)

It makes assumptions with a broad statement about a group of people without taking into account the diversity of that group. In itself, can be racism. So to say, majority of the white subconsciously believe they are better than black people, is not really fair.

As humans, we tend to all believe ourselves to be superior in certain ways. You might think of yourself as the smartest person in the room, and that may be true whether the room is full of whites or blacks. In a room of whites, you would be called simply "arrogant", but in a room of blacks,you would be called "racist". The context determines the adjective, even though it isn't necessarily appropriate.

As a very light skinned girl and an artist, I personally believe very dark skinned African women can be some of the most beautiful women in the world, Lupita Nyong for example. These women can be effortlessly graceful, and many of these women have nearly perfect bone structure. But do I want to trade places with them? No, because I am very comfortable and happy with who I am and what I am and growing up is super fun being what I am.

Anyway, if I judge others using generalization, I have to say that mixed race, white male, Latin male, and black male, (not in a particular order) are some of the most gorgeous men in the world. Asian men are definitely the smartest. Does it sound racist? To some people, absolutely.

If I judge others based on logic, and if I have to be honest, I must say that one of the most beautiful man I have ever seen is definitely Asian. There are beautiful men in every race.

So it is better treating others as individuals. Life is easier that way.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:46 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
OK, Here is where I have a problem with your premise.

I would point out that I believe that racism still exists, however there are a TON of false cries of racism. In fact the amount of false cries is so large and pervasive even coming from black professionals and even professors, it is amazing.

I used to ALWAYS give the benefit of the doubt. Not as much anymore.

Did you ever consider THAT is the reason there is a bit of doubt in the minds of some?

There have been numerous studies shared in various threads concerning the statistical FACT that overall there is NOT a "war against blacks" by the police.
That's true, especially in light of Blacks' SIGNIFICANTLY higher crime rates.

Quote:
The whole "Hands up Don't Shoot" meme came from the Michael Brown incident. In another thread (perhaps started by you) someone said something along the lines of "Some had said the MB thing was predicated on a lie...as if that matters"

Well it DOES matter.

MB's friend told everyone how he was just so cooperative and had his hands up saying don't shoot and the policeman shot him down like an animal.

THAT WAS A LIE. But that falsehood is the motto of BLM????

That is so terribly wrong on so many levels.

I cannot feel empathy for something that is UNTRUE. Can't you understand that?

False narratives and fake incidents only makes the American community at large less inclined to take real incidences seriously. You HAVE to be able to understand that. It is human nature "The Boy who Cried Wolf" story and all that.
Yep. But good luck getting some to understand that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies