Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 11:48 PM

7,473 posts, read 3,981,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Look, if we wanted to debate fault perhaps it would be relevant.

Fault is irrelevant.

The fact is that as a country we condoned, permitted and legalized slavery. Further, we legalized racism that made slavery tolerable to many Americans until we didn't.

Once slavery was illegal, we were and are stuck with the consequences of having allowed/legalized slavery.

It really doesn't matter how it came to be, we are left with the legacy of slavery.

That is on us as a country.

We are all reaping the consequences of our ancestors decisions.

The question is not who is to blame for any of these decisions. The question is what we today should do about the consequences of our country's immoral decisions.

So come to grips with the past and look to the future. No one living today had anything to do with slavery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 12:02 AM

14,873 posts, read 8,484,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Get out of here with that ridiculous garbage. I worked law enforcement for 5 years and have friends and family that still work law enforcement. There is no secret bond between cops that say, "hey guys, let's only get black people." Want to know why more black people get arrested? Because more black people commit crime. SIMPLE AS THAT. Wanna go out and play gangbanger? There are repercussions for those actions, plain and simple. How hard is that for stupid people to understand?
That black people make up 13% of the general population, while also making up 70% of the prison population proves that the system is out to get them.

Do not fall for the racist opinion that this 70% of incarcerated black people are in jail because they actually committed crimes punishable by jail terms.

You see, armed robbery is understandable, and not really a crime, if you are an oppressed black person who is oppressed by the system. In such cases, it is simply leveling the playing field.

After all, how else is a brother to make it in this white dominated, racist world, if he can't knock off a liquor store when the bills come due?

Old 07-18-2016, 12:13 AM

9,842 posts, read 7,591,220 times
41% of blacks are on Welfare/Public Assistance and statistics show that blacks are the most likely to be arrested for marijuana.

Welfare needs to be reformed. There is too much goverment dependency keeping blacks at lower income levels.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:22 AM

88,603 posts, read 44,302,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Look, if we wanted to debate fault perhaps it would be relevant.

Fault is irrelevant.
So, why all the "blame Whitey" threads and posts?

Old 07-18-2016, 07:11 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,465,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Oppression - unjust treatment.

We know the two biggest obstacles to finding a job are lack of education and a criminal record.

Blacks use drugs at similar rates as other races and make up 13 percent of the population. Of the 225,242 people who were serving time in state prisons for drug offenses in 2011, blacks made up 45 percent.

Nothing to see here, move along.
Now I understand the word 'oppression.' I was thinking of things like banned from going to school, criticizing or protesting against the oppressors, having a chance to become millionaires or billionaires, owning a business or property, openly practicing your religious or non-religious beliefs, running for political office, receiving public benefits equal to other citizens, stuff like that. While at the same time being forced into ... ah, never mind.

If using the word 'oppression' helps you in some way feel better, oppression it is for you, not me.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:28 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,187,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So, why all the "blame Whitey" threads and posts?
and this is exactly why there is so much racism in our country. By racism, I mean reverse racism. Some think blaming what happened 150 years ago is reason to feel mistreated and abused, instead of pulling themselves up by the boot straps and get over it. All one has to do is look around and see, there are many responsible, good citizens and successful ones as well, from all backgrounds.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:44 AM

7,102 posts, read 5,932,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
That black people make up 13% of the general population, while also making up 70% of the prison population proves that the system is out to get them.

Do not fall for the racist opinion that this 70% of incarcerated black people are in jail because they actually committed crimes punishable by jail terms.

You see, armed robbery is understandable, and not really a crime, if you are an oppressed black person who is oppressed by the system. In such cases, it is simply leveling the playing field.

After all, how else is a brother to make it in this white dominated, racist world, if he can't knock off a liquor store when the bills come due?
No, it proves that they break the laws in far more situations that do white people. You don't go to jail if you don't sell dope, break into houses, pay your speeding tickets (shoot don't even speed for christssakes), etc etc etc...

Stop breaking the law and you won't go to jail. Even if you lived in a city that was 99.99% racist cops for a population, you would be fine if you didn't break any laws.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:54 AM

72,816 posts, read 62,143,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
I don't refute it but do suggest that the reasons today are different than they might have been long ago. The current problem is the size of the dysfunctional segment of black society in proportion to the total is such that is often casts a shadow on all. Unfair, yes, but I think it is part of the current reality for many. 50 years of post-civil rights legislation and 50 years of Affirmative Action and vast sums of money on programs intended to help lift the black community into the mainstream has created what I term compassion fatigue. This is especially so in light of the social justice warriors putting so much effort into a divide and conquer strategy that just makes race relations worse and worse. If they would just stop blaming whites for every bad choice a black person makes some healing might begin.
I don't think they are so different. There are people who are passing down their negative feelings onto new generations. As for as dysfunctions go, the crime rates have dropped alot over the last decade, despite what the news tells you.

Something else, there are more Blacks getting college degrees, going into the professional jobs, going into engineering, science,etc, moving into the middle-upper classes than ever before. The dysfunction is specifically an underclass phenomenon. Rest of the Black population is too busy getting theirs to "blame the White man" for everything.

And the reason Blacks are getting those civil rights measures, they fought for them.

Maybe if certain persons would quit complaining about Blacks, the healing could begin. If you say "Blacks should stop blaming Whites", then maybe alot of people should quit complaining about Blacks/judging the entire Black population by its very worst persons. I don't judge Whites/other non-Black groups by the persons who bullied me.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:55 AM

72,816 posts, read 62,143,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Defensive much? I had never seen any comments like you have described. Wanted to see and read for myself. So its been 3 years?
What did you expect? For me to just be okay with it? No way. I'm the type of person who never forgets.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:09 AM

25,635 posts, read 21,800,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
They are?? How?? What do we not allow them? What right or opportunity do we deny them???

It's funny how dirt poor Asians and Hispanics immigrate here....often illegally so they have even less help....and they end up OK.

Asians do better overall than whites. Are whites oppressed?
Illegal immigrants are actually a big chunk of the problem. Giving amnesty will hurt the black population more than any other. So, let's not go with illegals comparing them to anyone other than the criminals that they are. Entering the US without authorization is a crime.

Civil-rights commish: Blacks hammered by illegal immigration

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Whoa...whoa... blacks have just as much power as anyone else - if they choose to put forth the effort and put themselves in a position to use it.

Gotta put away the myth that we are helpless victims because of our skin color. It is a total lie.

People are usually helpless because of bad life choices, and they have children and bring them into a bad situation and multiply the problem.
That is easy to say but it isn't so much about race as socio-economic class. If you were living in the inner city without a job, without skills, how do you get out and make it better? Many join the military for a step up but the military has been cut to the bone by Obama. Also, allowing the illegal aliens to stay in the country and worse yet amnesty is taking the jobs of many of those blacks. They even want to allow the illegal aliens to take the few military slots that become available - the Dems that is.

Most people don't get the "socio-economic" class being what is in play and make it about "race".

US Commissioner of Civil Rights: Illegal aliens destroying jobs for black males
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies