Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2016, 10:02 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
BTW, I am white.

You guys simply fail to grasp why there is a problem in some areas of the black community. Paradoxically you stumbled on the solution (see bold above). This is all about MEMES and FOO. And sadly many blacks in the USA have the worst MEMES and FOO. And that cannot be easily changed!
I have no idea what you are saying. Could you please explain this to me.
You as a black person are being oppressed by memes. I have no idea what FOO is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 10:02 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I come from a line of people who just did what they could to make ends meet. Not many went to college. They were farmers or working class people who lived through the Depression and fought in wars, and did whatever they could to support their families. All the black people I know (granted, I've never lived in a poor black neighborhood so the ones I know also didn't live in a poor black neighborhood), seem to have the same type of people in their backgrounds. Working class people who didn't necessarily all go to college, but did what they could to make ends meet.
Black folks that are not descendant of slaves generally do well. Black kids that become lawyers and doctors usually have a great family unit.

The thing is: Slavery destroyed the family unit.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:03 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
You simply regurgitate dogma that means nothing to dirt poor descendants of slaves that have nothing positive to look at. All those ethnic groups had a culture that goes back for hundreds of years and they were not cut off from the mother land. They were able to keep their own positive MEMEs and FOO. They remained German or Italian.

OTOH, blacks were kidnapped as children (or very young) put in a boat and spend generations as slaves with no connection to any cultural value from the homeland. The only culture they knew was slavery. Then they were set free and not allowed to truly participate in society. To compare that to the plight of European migration is a travesty.

You said: Well blacks were not offered those jobs.

Are you serious? Slaves were generally sold here and there with no regards to family unit. There was no such thing as a mom and a dad and a white picket fence.
Slavery ended over 100 years ago.

And yes, I can compare it to Irish migration - very similar to start, yet very different now.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I have no idea what you are saying. Could you please explain this to me.
You as a black person are being oppressed by memes. I have no idea what FOO is.
OK, you need to do a bit of reading:

FOO means family of origin.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:05 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Black folks that are not descendant of slaves generally do well. Black kids that become lawyers and doctors usually have a great family unit.

The thing is: Slavery destroyed the family unit.
Maybe 150-200 years ago. Black families were generally strong until the 1960's and later when the Govt made it profitable to make babies and not be married.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Slavery ended over 100 years ago.

And yes, I can compare it to Irish migration - very similar to start, yet very different now.
It takes much more than a hundred years to fix that problem.

Let me ask you two questions:

Why is a German a German? Why is an Italian an Italian?

If you find the answers to the above then you will know why a slave descendant is who he is in 2016.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Maybe 150-200 years ago. Black families were generally strong until the 1960's and later when the Govt made it profitable to make babies and not be married.
Another nice regurgitation of recycled right wing phrases. Nice job!

Old 07-14-2016, 10:16 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
That Obama won the presidency did not help.

Blacks have little power and remain victims of their history in the US.

What can be done?

Electing black leaders does not do the job. What are the alternatives. More of the same?
I honestly believe that the blacks have to want it enough to work for it. I don't know what else can be done. We already have affirmative action, free education K - 12, welfare, food stamps, and many other funding programs. However, we cannot do their work for them.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:24 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
There are no slaves in America today. Their struggle is not "genetic" to be passed down.

Interestingly enough, that may not be true.

There is recent research with mice that fear of certain situations, PTSD reactions to trauma experienced by parents can actually alter DNA and be passed down genetically to children and grandchildren.

To date the experiments focused on smell and hearing......i.e. training mice to fear things associated with certain smells/sounds and then they discovered the offspring born later have the same fear/PTSD reactions.

There are lots of things we don't know about the human brain yet.

For my money, the biggest legacy of slavery and the social handout policies that followed is "learned helplessness" and dependence.

So, perhaps one day we will see a pill that can wipe out whatever family of origin disadvantage someone starts out with. Until then the solution is pretty much the same for all of us.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:26 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,112,089 times
They WERE oppressed, now they oppress themselves. Take responsibility- that is the first step. Quit digging the hole deeper- put down the shovel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies