Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2016, 01:20 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,017 times

Advertisements

Go anywhere in the world where there are blacks with no whites around. Blacks are FAR better off with white people around. On their own they can barely feed and shelter themselves and live in squalor. Many still live in tribes with no strong central government or paved roads.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:20 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,911,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
With the spotlight on the poor black communities, people are going to see everything. Hopefully, when the shock wears off it will grant insight into the problems because there isn't "a problem" there are "problems" there that contribute to our current state. It's needed to be addressed from all sides for quite some time. The police will have to learn new tactics in dealing with crime there and anyone not there will have to address why it exists in the first place. Let's get rid of poor, crime-ridden areas to the best of our ability as a nation.

With the current spotlight shining on these areas being broadcast all over the world it will be addressed now. So that's a good thing. But, it will mean addressing whatever people see under that light. Not just police interaction, everything.

We see now that blacks are different than the rest of us. You've said it loud and clear, it's everywhere. I now see how different we are. I feel the divide. I use to think very differently, I was naive like others and thought we were all equal and being treated equally overall. I see that blacks are treated like the second class and like criminals. Now it's time to help us help you heal. It will take time and understanding from all sides. It's especially difficult with a black man in the White House who is the most powerful man in America. It's hard to see him as a second class citizen. You have to understand how some people question this.

Before Obama got into office White Congressmen stated they were going to do everything in there power to stop him. In all of my years. I have never seen a president more disrespected by not only the public but by people in congress. They have even gone as low as to talk about his children. People in the public that is.

People voted for Obama thinking he was going to bring a country together not realizing the biggest dividers are right in DC and channel 9 news.

Speaking for myself. I want nothing more than everyone to get along my parents always told me. If your ignorant to something pick up a book. If you want respect give respect. We are all one in the same I have no hate in my heart for other races I love all people.

I encourage everyone to try and make themselves little bit more inclusive to other cultures. This will help with understanding and it will build better relationships with others that don't look like you

Old 07-14-2016, 01:38 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,911,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Interesting. I see many successful blacks before they were "freed" in 1970... Now that being said, I see things from the 50's and 60's , well before my time that turn my stomach. Segregated drinking fountains, places to eat, stores etc.
There was not as many as there is today. I mean fully free meaning treated as equal to there white counterparts having the same rights being viewed as citizens. We are still working on the Equal part today it's a lot better a whole lot better but there is still a ways to go. Now what they did achieve back then those whites from that area dismantle and destroyed a lot of it. Blowing up churches and destroying business by throwing bottles with flames coming out of it into the windows of black owned establishments. Yes things happen in many Blake neighborhoods that were flourishing.

The black Wall Street was the biggest of them all. This documentary is a good one and it explains what had been going on from the 20s all the way up to the 60s

https://youtu.be/yLwVxyD7A98

Old 07-14-2016, 01:42 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
So its all or nothing. How many blacks have to "make it", percentage wise, to mark our point of freedom? I am so sick and tired of people using the success of some blacks to look down on and caste aspersion on other blacks who did not. Hell....some people come back from war and others do not. Do you look down and caste aspersion on those who did not make it because others did?

It's all or nothing ?! What are you talking about ? Caste aspersion ? $hit, I'm at the bottom looking up so I'm not doing too much looking down.

I'm really growing tired of the we are oppressed, everyone is racist, the police are killing us rhetoric. Trying to blame everything on something that happened over 150 years ago. Move past it, overcome it and succeed. Keep dredging up the past and you will go know where and others will grow tired of hearing about it and no longer care.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:07 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
So here is a couple of honest questions that I have asked multiple times in these types of threads. Never once has a realistic answer ever been given if any answer were given at all. Normally it's a bunch of finger pointing, and neither side takes any responsibility in what we can do to actually fix the problem. Makes me think most people don't want it fixed.

So here goes again.

Race aside, how can we as a society work together to end racism? (This means both sides stop claiming racism towards the others and actually work together for the common good)

As a black person, what do you think white people can do that will satisfy you in regards to working towards ending racism?

As a white person, what do you think black people can do that will satisfy you in regards to working towards ending racism?

Somewhere in the answers to these questions lies a common ground that we need to find. And quickly I'm afraid.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:10 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Just as there are some Jewish people that still bear the tattoo from concentration camps. Seems like that race has pulled themselves back up from the atrocities they endured.
Not the same. Judaism is a religion...and those who survived the Holocaust were carved out a nation which receives millions and millions of U.S. support. African-Americans, on the other hand, come from over 45 different ethnicities, spoke a myriad of languages and professed multiple religions, the vast majority of which were beaten out of them and knowledge of such destroyed.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:11 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Go anywhere in the world where there are blacks with no whites around. Blacks are FAR better off with white people around. On their own they can barely feed and shelter themselves and live in squalor. Many still live in tribes with no strong central government or paved roads.
Hahaha!! Do you have a passport? Do you read WORLD history at all?

Old 07-14-2016, 02:27 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Here is my question. Where do you think the lack of understanding comes from?
I think the majority of people have successful black friends that live in their neighborhoods, see successful black tv personalities, news anchors, talk show hosts, musicians, actors, government officials, the president, etc. The cashiers are all colors, they all make the same income relatively. They don't see them as any different and a lot of times they see them as doing much better than themselves as they would anyone who is doing much better, regardless of color. I mean it's 2016, not 1956.

We have for the most part forgotten women couldn't vote or black people couldn't use the restroom. On a daily basis, we are concerned with the present. Even if you are women as I am I am not always talking to my female children about how bad men are or how we came a long way. Maybe once or twice but not as often as black people do this about being black. (I just learned this from the CNN special) I don't live in constant fear of being left for another woman, not being president, being beaten, raped, even though the statistics are there to do so. I now and then worry about the police misunderstand my son who has Tourettes or abusing my daughters for just being female. But, not enough to protest around the nation.

So when a professional basketball star for example or rich black comedian says he's tired of the profiling most average people just think "it would be worth it to be you" so stop crying while I go to my second job. They don't look deeply into the real issues. Those are rich people trying to cry about everyday life. Not really easy to take seriously by those of us who struggle to make a living day to day.

I'm Asian, and when a black comedian makes fun of me I don't think he's intentionally trying to hurt me, even if it hurts me. I just don't go and see that comedian anymore. All comedians make fun of all colors. Not to mention women. We all laugh it off but, things aren't funny anymore. We aren't tolerant, we don't find the humor in our human state anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdtNu9UFrDM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiqmRHPYffM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG5Kjsz_Y2E
As Chris said, nothing is as scary or gross than poor white people. I have news for you, a lot of poor white people don't think they are scary to anyone. They don't have time to process that luxury.

Like I stated earlier they aren't the only ones concerned with being the victim of profiling by officers. My brother was an officer but I still as a woman find myself worrying about how I conduct myself with the police and if one might be inappropriate with me without me being able to prove anything because I'm just a civilian.

Simply put I think most people who aren't black THOUGHT they identified with blacks more than they really do. They are wondering where it went wrong. They are wondering why every minority is considered "white" now. Considered "against" blacks. There is a line being drawn and people are concerned.

It has taken this spotlight to shed light on the fact that they are far from really understanding how big a deal it is to be black in America. So now you will have people feeling more divided and questioning what they previously thought. What they did wrong. How they didn't realize this when they had friends of all colors, colleagues, idols, and sometimes even parents of two races. So it will take time. The realization will take time. People will get angry, sad, divided, grouped, and experience denial. I did.

So now you have our attention. Maybe it isn't all good attention but it's attention none the less. What do we do now? How do we bridge the divide now? Most people just want to have a nation that is united. Cares about each other. They want to fix these problems.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:39 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
PoppySead, I asked the same questions. Sadly, I don't think they will ever get answered. Too many people have an agenda and solving this issue severely undermines that agenda. We have to learn to let it all go, and try to work together. Just as I have said many times before, a nation divided is a weak nation. When we focus on our "civil war" between ourselves, we take focus away from the real dangers that will affect us all equally.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:40 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Hahaha!! Do you have a passport? Do you read WORLD history at all?
Yes. But even better, I have economic data measured by GDP PPI, poverty rate, human development index, etc. Ever read any of that? Didn't think so. And what African history? There are no great pyramids, no ancient Greece, no flourishing civilizations.

Here ya go. Compare the White countries in Europe to the black countries in Africa. You asked for it!

[url]http://www.pooreconomics.com/data/world-poverty-map[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies