Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 10:47 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,281,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
Do blacks really have it any worse than anyone else in this country, or do they simply make the most noise?

We constantly hear that blacks are treated differently in this country; however, for all the negative aspects there is in regards to being black in America, there seems to be an equal amount of positives. Why do we as a nation seem to ignore the fact that there are large portions of the white population that will go out of their way to accommodate blacks? Why do we ignore the fact that blacks in many aspect are not held to the same standards as other races. They're given more free passes than any other demographic, yet we're convinced that they have it worse than anybody else.

Explain to me how blacks in the United States have it any worse than poor people of other races.
They have it worse because as children they are poorly led by Black Leaders who have been chosen by their mothers or grandmothers.
They have it worse because as children they do not grow up in families with 2 parents.
They have it worse because they are often given strange sounding names, which, when placed on a job application virtually guarantees a lower paying job.
They have it worse because even when one of their own who is a admired, like Bill Cosby, pretends to befriend them he often turns out to be an imposter who cannot be trusted.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:49 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,911,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The OP knows this and was anticipating their responses to be exactly what many have been in this thread.

This is just thread number 1835 of the MANY "black bash" threads on the board. The truth is that the OP really did not want real answers. The OP wanted to create a thread in which non-black C-D members would proceed to bash black Americans. So he/she actually answered their own question.

I have an amazing life but this board reminds me daily that no matter how successful I am that I will always be hated by MANY white Americans based on the color of my skin. I have noticed that its often the white underclass is particularly fed by the black bashing and no doubt many here who feel compelled to keep black people on their minds fall into that category.
You are absolutely correct. Even In this is till don't paint all white people the same but this board is filled with the ones I despise. The same rhetoric the spew on here is the same stuff they use to say in the 50s. It's always us and not them. They really believe that everyone is treated equally. It's deflecting. They try and take the blame off of there part and how they have played a major role in the dysfunction in our society when it comes to race relations.

White people can not answer the questions of what it's like being Black in America. Our experiences are different.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:08 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
People ALWAYS bring up America's history as to why blacks are violent, criminal, undereducated etc., but what's the excuse for more recent black immigrants who came to the US in the last 20-30 years like the recent arrival of Somali immigrants? What do we do to them that caused many of them to turn to violence and crime here now?

And also as I've asked many times before, how come Canada with no history of slavery, relatively very little oppression of blacks and even was a safe haven for tens of thousands of escaped slaves from the US at one time, how come blacks Canadians are growing up just as violent and criminal DESPITE AN EXTREMELY DIFFERENT HISTORY TO THEIR AMERICAN COUNTERPARTS??

- The US with a history of enslaving and oppressing blacks = many violent, criminal black people
- Canada with VERY LITTLE oppression of blacks and no history of slavery = many violent, criminal black people

Tell me why this is?
African/African descended immigrants are on a whole the most educated immigrants in the U.S. So no excuses needed for anything. Low crime, overall successful. Guessing some Somalis have issues coming from their conflict-afflicted nation. Ask some Somalis.

The majority of Canadians of African origin are doing fine and without any dealings with crime. The majority do have the heritage of slavery and poverty in their background (though not in Canada) but overall do well.

Not sure where you are seeing these many, violent criminal so-called "black" people. LOL.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:08 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
These are all in Detroit. Have you seen what happened to their economy ever since the auto industry pulled out?

No jobs, no money, lots of free time = people likelier to get into crime.

Most of Detroit happens to be black, but still, correlation is not causation.

Sorry, that ship has sailed long ago...can't really blame it anymore either. I've been the auto industry my whole life and took the beating as well.

Did you even look at the links I posted ? Killing each other for spilled Kool-Aid, chips , fancy shoes or because someone said something on facebook has nothing to do with poverty. There are plenty of poor people in this country that don't kill each other for stupid reasons. I might buy into your theory if they were stealing pampers, baby formula , medicine , or food.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:09 AM

11,780 posts, read 5,792,331 times
It goes both ways Sean. There are those in the black community who are themselves racist. Whites are honkies, many don't like Hispanics and blacks from other countries don't like African Americans and visa versa.

I've played no part in the disintegration of your dysfunction and that's the problem - you refuse to take responsibility for your own problems.

The ones I feel bad for are the blacks trying to raise their kids with ethics and morals. Those who are teaching their kids - education is the answer - not selling drugs on the corner. A diploma means more than a gang sign. I know many blacks who have worked hard to move out of the hood so that their kids could get a decent education at a school where teachers can teach and not babysit. Where their kids are not bullied for having morals and valuing an education. Too many of today's black youth have no role models and the ones they have are rappers - many ex-cons who instead of singing about don't make the same mistake I did - rap about making babies, going to the slammer and killing cops and each other. That's all on your head bud - if you want to see change in your culture - stop blaming everyone else and do something about it yourself.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:13 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
You are absolutely correct. Even In this is till don't paint all white people the same but this board is filled with the ones I despise. The same rhetoric the spew on here is the same stuff they use to say in the 50s. It's always us and not them. They really believe that everyone is treated equally. It's deflecting. They try and take the blame off of there part and how they have played a major role in the dysfunction in our society when it comes to race relations.

White people can not answer the questions of what it's like being Black in America. Our experiences are different.
I think the answer to the question posed by the OP is self evident from their response. Take that mindset of many who responded and put them in the position of corporate hiring, judge, jury, police, loan officer, doctor...etc. It's self evident from these threads that many white Americans evaluate black people by statistics on their race and not the content of their character as individuals. They then create a self fulfilling prophecy by seeing blacks differently resulting in them treating blacks different...thus resulting in a different reaction/outcome for blacks.

Let them keep posting these topics. They are not smart enough to know that they are demonstrating that they are the ROOT problem.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:15 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
When think of who is having it worse, I'm not thinking of self-inflicted stuff that everyone is trying to point to. Separate topic for separate thread. I think about what gets done to Blacks. I think about the perceptions of Blacks. I think about how a Black middle class person will have it compared to other middle class persons. I think about how Blacks get treated.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:24 AM

11,780 posts, read 5,792,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think the answer to the question posed by the OP is self evident from their response. Take that mindset of many who responded and put them in the position of corporate hiring, judge, jury, police, loan officer, doctor...etc. It's self evident from these threads that many white Americans evaluate black people by statistics on their race and not the content of their character as individuals. They then create a self fulfilling prophecy by seeing blacks differently resulting in them treating blacks different...thus resulting in a different reaction/outcome for blacks.

Let them keep posting these topics. They are not smart enough to know that they are demonstrating that they are the ROOT problem.

You know - you make your own problems by continuing with the rhetoric. Had I not had diverse relationships throughout the years with great people of all races - I myself could very well hate a culture or race due to the BS continually coming out of the mouths of some. Fortunately, I know that most people - black, white, yellow and orange - are good people - who I judged on their character, morals and ethics and not on their color.

To blame and hate others as you do shows a hatred of yourself. That's a pity.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:26 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
Do blacks really have it any worse than anyone else in this country, or do they simply make the most noise?

We constantly hear that blacks are treated differently in this country; however, for all the negative aspects there is in regards to being black in America, there seems to be an equal amount of positives. Why do we as a nation seem to ignore the fact that there are large portions of the white population that will go out of their way to accommodate blacks? Why do we ignore the fact that blacks in many aspect are not held to the same standards as other races. They're given more free passes than any other demographic, yet we're convinced that they have it worse than anybody else.

Explain to me how blacks in the United States have it any worse than poor people of other races.
There are women, who have always had to act differently when approached by male officers. After all, some male officers have sexually molested women.
According to the suit and court testimony leading to his conviction, Camareno repeatedly led the young girl directly past his senior commander's offices to assault her in the station house. He also molested her on overnight police-sanctioned “ride along.” At one point, after a male explorer complained about the misconduct, Camareno was temporarily removed from the children’s program, only to be permitted to rejoin at a later date.
Read more at Cops Not Only Covered Up Molesting a 15-Year Old Explorer Scout, They Encouraged It

Police, female and male strip search just for saying they "smell" marijuana. This video gives details on some disturbing legal policies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7sPE6Ho04M

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...er-guilty-rape

If you're black women I can imagine it's even scarier.

People who have disabilities that make it difficult to cooperate with authority like ADHD, OCD, Autism, Tourettes, Bi-Polar, and many other spectrum disorders fear the police. They worry they cannot comply in the manner asked. So parents of these kids often worry about police encounters where their children will be misunderstood and harmed because of it.
These kids often get removed from planes, trains, certain public areas.
My son has Tourettes, can you just imagine how worrisome it is to deal with a kid who might tell a police officer to f off? They can't control it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvQ1uuVo9Co

We really aren't tolerant in our society and unfortunately we sometimes don't have the luxury of being because criminals take every advantage they can to prevent it. I'm not really sure we can fix it. Legalizing drugs might help limit full cavity searches. But, there is always someone willing to take advantage of a situation so us who just want peace can't have it.
We tend to punish a classroom for a few students behavior. Remember that?

It's on the table for blacks right now. I imagine it will be on the table for women next, maybe the handicaped but that rarely happens. We'll see.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:35 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
You know - you make your own problems by continuing with the rhetoric. Had I not had diverse relationships throughout the years with great people of all races - I myself could very well hate a culture or race due to the BS continually coming out of the mouths of some. Fortunately, I know that most people - black, white, yellow and orange - are good people - who I judged on their character, morals and ethics and not on their color.

To blame and hate others as you do shows a hatred of yourself. That's a pity.
Well....I do not think that there was anytime in history that justice was gained or increased without it making things worse in the short run. People who do wrong and have profited from wrong doing don't want it exposed. What happens when a good cop try to expose bad cops? I ticks off a lot of bad cops and the police department, worried about the reputation to the community, seeks to threaten or demote officers who expose corruption. That is just how it works.

A speaker of truth has no friends. ~African proverb | Heartfelt Quotes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies