Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 01:29 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Doesn't surprise me. Similar things has happened to my father.
As well as a whole bunch of whites, Hispanics and Asians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 01:29 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
BFD. AA's need to stop thinking this only because they are black. If a white person is driving through a bad area of town especially late at night they will get pulled over too. It has happened to me more than once.
Except for one thing. Where was Tyson stopped? Was he stopped in a bad neighborhood? Was he stopped in a drug-infested area?

Old 07-14-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
As well as a whole bunch of whites, Hispanics and Asians.
How often to those groups compared to Blacks?

Old 07-14-2016, 01:31 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,780,345 times
My dad had the talk with me when I was a teenager on how to act when I got pulled over. He told me to keep my hands on the wheel and keep them visible and say "yes sir", "no sir", etc.

I was pulled over by a cop once and the cop accused me of smoking marijuana (I wasn't) and that he smelled marijuana in the car (total BS). He was very belligerent and trying to catch me up to something. I remained respectful despite that.

I was stopped by an undercover cop in a mall parking garage trying to find a spot during the holidays (driving a beat up car). The cop was accusing me of trying to break into cars.

I was profiled many times driving around affluent areas because I was driving a beat up car. Cops actually made u-turns to run my plate because my car didn't fit into the neighborhood or stopped behind me in the next lane so they could run the plate.

I am white by the way.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Luckily the cops soon will stop making any stops. Instead of searching for the career criminals BEFORE they commit another major crime....they'll just respond with pen and paper after the fact. Yay!!

Oh....and newsflash: Career criminals, gang members, child predators and all the others....dont wear neon signs saying "Hey officer I'm the bad guy, ignore everyone else please".

To find a needle in a haystack you gotta move a few handfuls of hay.

But....dont worry....in massive numbers the cops are standing down. They won't say so necessarily. But soaring murder rates show it.
Well, if I'm not committing a crime, I'm going to have a problem being profiled.

And prove to me that murder rates are soaring.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Except for one thing. Where was Tyson stopped? Was he stopped in a bad neighborhood? Was he stopped in a drug-infested area?
Was he reading a text, looking at his gps, changing his AC or whatever causing him to drift a little and have the cop wondering if he may have been drinking or on drugs?

There could be a large number of potential reasons a cop may pull someone over to just check.

But, because he's black it MUST be racism.

This is why people are beginning to assume it's never racism. You can only scream wolf so many times.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
It's hard to say because of so many potential factors.

I heard how racist the Baltimore police department is even though it's controlled by black people.

I've heard how even black cops are racist towards blacks.

Wolf!!!

Old 07-14-2016, 01:42 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,442,664 times
Quote:
It doesn't say exactly where he was close to. It just says it was late at night and he was pulled over for not signaling a lane change, which is a valid reason to be pulled over. Why do blacks automatically think they are being profiled when they are treated as anyone else would? If it's late and you get pulled over for something legitimate you will be asked the same questions no matter what race you are. I was visiting my mom in a retirement village and decided to take a walk around the neighborhood. A cop pulled up and asked me all kinds of questions about who I was, where I was going and all that. It's what they do, it's not automatically a race thing. Do you think blacks should not be pulled over or questioned by the cops at all or something?

Old 07-14-2016, 01:45 PM

3,886 posts, read 4,539,685 times
I had to rush my mom to the hospital once late at night, and while they were checking her out I went out for a coffee. I was really anxious and made a weird u-turn or something and a cop pulled me over as I'm pretty sure he thought I was drinking. That light he shined in my eyes... yikes it's bright!

Anyway, I live in a nice area in Southern California and a former coworker of mine is black and he said he used to get pulled over constantly while working as a restaurant manager in Irvine, California. At the time it was happening, Irvine was very "white", and always in the top ten "safest places" in the country. He knew unfortunately because of the color of his skin, he was a fish out of water. He said nothing really bad ever happened to him, but he said it was really annoying. After a while the cops just waved at him and he waved back.

p.s. I got to meet Neil Degrass Tyson! He's so cool, I love him!

Old 07-14-2016, 01:50 PM

31,036 posts, read 22,064,322 times
Quote:
Im sure those groups are lower. The problem is figuring out if its a rational reason? Is it because of mistaking identity? Harrasment? Is it profiling because your in a high crime rate area where the majority of the crime is committed by a specific race?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies