Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 01:51 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
I remember hearing this a while ago. Most everyone gets pulled over, often questioned, not necessarily for a good reason.
Is that true? I'm white and this does not happen. I would be shocked if it did. If an officer asked me where I was going, if I lived near where I was driving, etc. I would be inclined to wonder why he needed to know since it's a public road.

When I saw the way the officer treated Sandra Bland when she simply changed lanes to make room for him to pass, thus giving him a reason to pull her over for not signaling, it was hard to watch. I strongly disagree that "most everyone gets pulled over".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 01:53 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Is that true? I'm white and this does not happen. I would be shocked if it did. If an officer asked me where I was going, if I lived near where I was driving, etc. I would be inclined to wonder why he needed to know since it's a public road.

When I saw the way the officer treated Sandra Bland when she simply changed lanes to make room for him to pass, thus giving him a reason to pull her over for not signaling, it was hard to watch. I strongly disagree that "most everyone gets pulled over".
Go out driving past midnight and break a traffic law especially swerving or changing lanes without signaling, you will get pulled over and questioned. It has absolutely nothing to do with race.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:54 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
If it was only the criminal segment of the Black population that had bad experiences with police BLM wouldn't have legs. Listening to people like Degrasse Tyson, Tim Scott, or my middle class Black co workers is why I do think there is still a race problem in America.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:55 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
If it was only the criminal segment of the Black population that had bad experiences with police BLM wouldn't have legs. Listening to people like Degrasse Tyson, Tim Scott, or my middle class Black co workers is why I do think there is still a race problem in America.
Are you another one who thinks blacks should just NOT be pulled over or questioned by police for anything? My god people, it doesn't matter who you are, break a traffic law late at night when a cop sees you do it you WILL be pulled over and questioned no matter who the **** you are.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:01 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Neil de Grasse Tyson is probably the most recognized face of science since Carl Sagan. He has an interesting account of driving while black.

I was stopped late at night at an underpass on an empty road in New Jersey for having changed lanes without signaling. The officer told me to get out of my car and questioned me for ten minutes around back with the bright head lights of his squad car illuminating my face. Is this your car? Yes. Who is the woman in the passenger seat? My wife. Where are you coming from? My parents house. Where are you going? Home. What do you do for a living? I am an astrophysicist at Princeton University. What’s in your trunk? A spare tire, and a lot of other greasy junk.

More here:

The most well-known astrophysicist of our time discusses a dozen times he's been racially profiled

Who cares? Most of us could care less what self proclaimed know-It-alls think. I'd rather hear the opinion of Bubba Gump over at the bait stand. Or Carlos at the taco truck.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:01 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post

There is also way more police in non White areas than White areas. When I've lived in White middle class areas I rarely see a cop. When I lived in a 50/50 White Black area I experienced police far more often myself. Once a cop screamed at me to stop riding my bike on the sidewalk. Once a cop stopped my on bike and searched me for drugs and I was asked why I was in that area (a rougher area between two gentrified areas).

If cops suddenly swarmed White areas and wrote tickets all the time for minor offenses you'd see a 180 degree change on this issue.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:02 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Look at that article I posted yesterday about Ron Sims, Deputy Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, pulled over eight times. Once he was pulled over with a bunch of kids in their uniforms going to practice. The officer asked where they were going and even said blacks don't live in the neighborhood he was driving in. That is shocking to me.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:06 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
I've had worse and better. Was it my color? The moon cycle? What can I blame it on?
Blame it on the fact that these people often get way too big for their britches.

I can also think of a time I was asked to get out of my car for no good reason and asked a million irrelevant and PERSONAL questions for going 68 in a 60.

Like wtf?! Just gimme a ticket.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:10 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Nothing to do with the black/white thing, but many years ago when I was doing my three years in the US Army, when soldiers felt like they were being picked on, they would be told by the nearest NCO to take their TS card to the Chaplin and get it stamped. I think some folks need to get their TS cards stamped.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:11 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propulser View Post
What race is the Easter Bunny? BTW, I've heard other crackpots posit the same ludicrous position as well. It is, of course, a falsehood.
Show me "race" on the chart...

https://gcps.desire2learn.com/d2l/lo...sification.png
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies