Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 04:02 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Nonsense. Utter rot.

Are you saying that the US has no cultural tradition or values upon which the nation was founded? That's absurd.
I'm saying you or I don't get to be the gatekeeper of what kind of cultural traditions other Americans get to practice in their own homes.

As long as people respect the laws, it's not your place or anyone else's to dictate or impose a cultural test or requirement on anyone else.

Old 07-16-2016, 04:11 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
I'm saying you or I don't get to be the gatekeeper of what kind of cultural traditions other Americans get to practice in their own homes.

As long as people respect the laws, it's not your place or anyone else's to dictate or impose a cultural test or requirement on anyone else.
Potential immigrants are not yet "other Americans". And it certainly is the place of American citizens to impose whatever tests and requirements they choose on foreigners who seek to live in their country.

Old 07-16-2016, 04:17 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,903,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Potential immigrants are not yet "other Americans". And it certainly is the place of American citizens to impose whatever tests and requirements they choose on foreigners who seek to live in their country.
Its certainly the legal right of the country to impose a test or a specific requirement. However, my vote would be to not impose cultural requirements.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:16 AM

4,095 posts, read 2,564,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
People are against Syrian immigrants and refugees. Yet people like Steve Jobs who revolutionized the world is son of a Syrian (MUSLIM) father. Although his father Didn't do much for him in life, you can perfectly say that if the U.S had banned Muslim immigration, this forum and your personal computer or phone used to access it might not be here today.
Terrible argument.

A country can't take thousands of unemployable misogynistic Syrian men, oh because SJ had Syrian ancestry. Give me a break.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:36 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
The United States brings in many immigrants each year LEGALLY. Many don't want to follow the law and come here ILLEGALLY.

Once there was a law in Mexico not that long ago, they could shoot any border crossers.. they now want anyone coming into Mexico to be able bodied, not poor, have a job, and would not be a strain on the government..

Here we offer free everything .Food , medical, housing, lawyers, heat vouchers. No wonder we have millions coming here. The government set it up that they know how to get those freebees by having many children here. The men work under the table and they get assistance and a paycheck making much more than many middle class people.. And guess what folks, we are past broke.. worst than Puerto Rico but it is so big and so complex no one realizes it yet.

If an illegal wants to move to another state, that state will supply thousands of dollars to move them . This is not offered to American citizens. This country and its legislation is breaking this country.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:38 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,769,164 times
Historically as each wave of immigrants assimilated the mainstream culture also absorbed a bit of new cultural flavor from them. They became Americans and American culture changed slightly into a new normal. The children of those immigrants were Americans.

Segments of Hispanic immigrant populations have been slow in assimilating but over time they will assimilate while their sheer numbers are creating a new normal for society as a whole. That's OK so long as they do adopt an American identity. What does concern me however is the anti-Anglo "La Raza" segment of the Hispanic population.

The big problem lies with Arab and African Muslims. They do not assimilate, not now, not never. Islam and Sharia is incompatible with Western culture.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:01 AM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
My thoughts... the U.S. prides itself on diversity and the culture of this country is multi-cultural. We are a country of immigrants, aside from the Native Americans.

It's one thing to restrict immigration uniformly across the board for practical reasons. It's another to restrict it based on religion. Remember, the Pilgrims who came to America did so because they were facing religious persecution at home. To tell people they are no longer welcomed in this country because of the religion they practice seems to fly against the idea of freedom of religion.

However, I'm not advocating that laws be changed to accommodate different religions. I'm totally against religion having any impact on the laws we have and enforce. If there's a conflict with their religion, then U.S. laws would have to take priority.

We need to get over this "pride in diversity" nonsense and get on with just being ourselves which should be a melting pot not a salad bowl so that we can retain the mainstream identifying culture and language of our country. We are no longer a nation of immigrants but a nation of American citizens. Our citizen population well outnumbers our immigrant population and has for some time now. The so-called Native Americans were not native to this country their ancestors migrated here from somewhere else just as the Europeans did. We are allowing in people from mostly one ethnic group both legally and illegally, that's not diversity anyway.

We need to deny entry to those whose religion or ideologies are not compatible with ours and in fact seek to destroy us if are to survive as a nation. It's really that simple.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:02 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,769,164 times
In terms of protecting culture, I have yet to hear or see a cogent explanation of how diversity makes us stronger or enriches a community. Currently there is a plan to start bringing Syrian refugees to the large town near me. Those in favor of it keep with the "diversity makes us stronger and enriches our community" mantra yet I can't get anyone to say how. Will my home be worth more because there are uneducated unskilled Syrians living permanently on entitlements nearby? Will my income go up? How exactly will increasing my property taxes to pay for translators in the schools and with the police benefit me? At a strictly cultural level what is it they do that will make my life better?

At the same time were I to publicly say how proud I am of my English, French & Dutch ancestors who came here in the 1600's and laid the foundations for the greatest nation on earth, and of my German and Irish ancestors who came in the mid-1800's and helped power our industrial might I would be called a racist. Were I to expect schools to celebrate and promote these immigrant groups of long ago I think most school administrators would faint at the mere thought of it.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:12 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,903,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
We need to get over this "pride in diversity" nonsense and get on with just being ourselves which should be a melting pot not a salad bowl so that we can retain the mainstream identifying culture and language of our country. We are no longer a nation of immigrants but a nation of American citizens. Our citizen population well outnumbers our immigrant population and has for some time now. The so-called Native Americans were not native to this country their ancestors migrated here from somewhere else just as the Europeans did. We are allowing in people from mostly one ethnic group both legally and illegally, that's not diversity anyway.

We need to deny entry to those whose religion or ideologies are not compatible with ours and in fact seek to destroy us if are to survive as a nation. It's really that simple.
We need to deny entry to people who cannot follow our laws, but there are plenty of law abiding Muslims in this country. Religion by itself is not a good filter.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:16 AM

4,095 posts, read 2,564,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
We need to deny entry to people who cannot follow our laws, but there are plenty of law abiding Muslims in this country. Religion by itself is not a good filter.
Yes there are plenty, but there are plenty that are bad. Since we cannot separate the two, in the interest of American public, Muslim immigration should be stopped or reduced to a trickle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies