Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2016, 11:09 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,982,719 times

Advertisements

I was watching our local news here in Charleston, SC yesterday and the new mayor John Tecklenburg was giving a speech. Mr. Tecklenburg was elected last year as our pundit Joe Riley retired. Joe had been our mayor as long as I've been around, and party lines withstanding, he was a really good mayor.

So, on to his replacement. The speech was given at our Charleston Aquarium downtown and it was on the impacts of global warming.

I don't have a transcript of the speech but the gist of it was that in the next 10 YEARS, that Charleston and coastal SC's water table is going to rise by 2 FEET. I'm wondering... If there's any scientists out there that study global warming and sea-level rises, is this just bull crap crazy speech or is there any shred of evidence that our sea level is going to rise 2 feet in the next ten years. If that's so, I imagine that basically the Eastern Seaboard will be drowned up to the Apalachian Mountains.

So, if you study these things, please chime in before I write this guy a letter asking him to explain himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 11:30 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
I don't study these things, but it's supposed to rise along the east coast because of the ice melting.

Here is an article that may be helpful.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:33 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,030 times
He's out of his mind. The IPCC Report states sea levels are projected to rise between 1.0 mm to 2.0 mm per year and the data that this report pulls from states there is a large margin of error.

The most likely sea rise level by 2100 is between 80cm and 1 metre so two feet in ten years? Impossible and ridiculous.

Old 07-16-2016, 12:33 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
I was watching our local news here in Charleston, SC yesterday and the new mayor John Tecklenburg was giving a speech. Mr. Tecklenburg was elected last year as our pundit Joe Riley retired. Joe had been our mayor as long as I've been around, and party lines withstanding, he was a really good mayor.

So, on to his replacement. The speech was given at our Charleston Aquarium downtown and it was on the impacts of global warming.

I don't have a transcript of the speech but the gist of it was that in the next 10 YEARS, that Charleston and coastal SC's water table is going to rise by 2 FEET. I'm wondering... If there's any scientists out there that study global warming and sea-level rises, is this just bull crap crazy speech or is there any shred of evidence that our sea level is going to rise 2 feet in the next ten years. If that's so, I imagine that basically the Eastern Seaboard will be drowned up to the Apalachian Mountains.

So, if you study these things, please chime in before I write this guy a letter asking him to explain himself.
FYI: Elevation changes are a lot larger than two feet. That's like a hill up to your waist.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:36 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,801,988 times
If the crowd didn't laugh, they weren't listening.
Not even the craziest warmers suggest anything like two feet in ten years.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:41 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,949,132 times
Be glad you don't live in Miami.

Old 07-17-2016, 01:08 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
The mayor is an agent of the government. Of course it's true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies