Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 12:00 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Because Section 8 is NOT an entitlement, and demand far exceeds supply, the vast majority of income-eligible Americans so not have a Section 8 voucher. Section 8 recipients pay 30 percent of their income toward rent and utilities. Since half of all low-income renters pay at least half their income for rent and utilities, it is obvious that most low-income Americans do not have a Section 8 voucher.

Similarly, since TANF is only for parents with dependents, most of the poor do not have TANF.

Poor Americans with S8 and TANF can live well , especially those who enjoy unreported assistance from family, boyfriends, and baby daddies.

Poor Americans WITHOUT Section 8 or TANF often live miserable lives of indefinite privation; I've shared housing with a number of them. I know a bunch of people who are couch surfing or renting cheap rooms in overcrowded houses, and the ones NOT couch surfing are stuck in miserable living situations because they have no money after paying rent and literally cannot afford to move into any other place.
If you are looking for an endorsement of your situation as one worthy of empathy, take a good look around you, the same people who hate the poor hate YOU all the same..They are telling you that your poverty is your own concern and then throw you under the bus along with those you want to denigrate for their plight..What a daisy chain of class loathing..

Old 07-21-2016, 12:36 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,371,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
OP = Send a letter to the local Welfare office or the local federal Sec 8 office. they cannot do anything about a situation they do not know about. Be a good citizen and turn the freeloaders in.
I really don't think the welfare office cares...

Old 07-21-2016, 01:43 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
Sends me this email in response to my listing:

To top it off one of the neighboring rentals by one of my rentals is a section 8 house. The tenant has two big screen TV's and a new model Hummer that she just bought. They've lived there for 5 years...I even took a picture of it. Good to know I went to college and worked hard to get ahead so I can pay more than the median gross household income in taxes to fund these leeches. I've filed complaints yet nothing is done. Where are the bleeding heart liberals and their apologies for these leeches?? Basically your policy is to buy votes by stealing for those who worked for it at the threat of imprisonment or death, to give to those who don't.
I skipped a lot, so maybe this was already suggested. Maybe the person was asking, because they didn't want to have Section 8 neighbors?

Also, how big are these big screen TVs? I just bought a brand new, name brand 32" flat screen TV for about $180. (Imagine how cheap a used, off-brand TV would be!) More likely, though, is that these people acquired their TVs from one of those rent-to-own places, where they pay $10/mo. for 10 years, or whatever. I'm sure similar deals can be found for Hummers, from used car dealerships.

Lastly, don't discount the possibility that some of the smaller nice things you see poor people with are gifts. (iphones, clothing, etc.) I was fairly poor growing up, in the 80s and 90s, and even though I received SSI due to my visual impairment, we didn't have many nice things. But, my extended family (aunts, uncles, grandparents) were able to come together to buy us nice things, on occasion. In my case, my family came together to buy me a school jacket, an LL Bean backpack, and a class ring. It also seems very possible for a family member to give a poorer relation something like their used iphone as a gift.

Old 07-21-2016, 04:21 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Um, LONG-TERM unemployment is a serious issue for older workers; I have not seen any reports suggesting that long-term unemployment is an issue among millennials.
Now, you have...
Quote:
"Prolonged unemployment and underemployment among the Millennial generation could also impact future generations."
Making It Millennial

Old 07-22-2016, 03:50 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Why not complain about he 0.1% kids that have everything because they were lucky enough to be born into hyper wealthy families? Most do not work so they are just as much on welfare paid by the buyers of their family's businesses as the poor folks on the other end of the scale. Why not retired people also don't work. Are they on Welfare as well? Why does it matter where a person's money coms from? I thought income was a private matter anyway.

If welfare is such a good deal why not quit your jobs and get on the gravy train.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:32 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Why not complain about he 0.1% kids that have everything because they were lucky enough to be born into hyper wealthy families? Most do not work so they are just as much on welfare paid by the buyers of their family's businesses as the poor folks on the other end of the scale.
BIG difference: No one is FORCING those buyers under threat of imprisonment to buy those particular products/services. Try not paying the federal income tax you owe and see what happens.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:09 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,054,375 times
they again pointing fingers and boxing people of something they have NO idea about! NONE!!!!! I had a special needs G-child- most people, unless experienced it--- have simply no clue and I think it proper-- you leave the disabled people ALONE it's disgusting - stop judging what you dont know, and for the record-- getting social security etc even if VERY obvious you have disabilities-- is not so easy-- it is a war- leave these people alone please

Old 07-22-2016, 01:09 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
Sends me this email in response to my listing:

To top it off one of the neighboring rentals by one of my rentals is a section 8 house. The tenant has two big screen TV's and a new model Hummer that she just bought. They've lived there for 5 years...I even took a picture of it. Good to know I went to college and worked hard to get ahead so I can pay more than the median gross household income in taxes to fund these leeches. I've filed complaints yet nothing is done. Where are the bleeding heart liberals and their apologies for these leeches?? Basically your policy is to buy votes by stealing for those who worked for it at the threat of imprisonment or death, to give to those who don't.
IPhones are not necessarily expensive.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/se...query=iphone+4

Used, they can be had for under $100.

And it's a good investment since you need to be mobile and be able to access the Internet at all times in the modern day working world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies