Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 09:17 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,355,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
The population only becomes a problem when over-industrialization and
careless exploitation misuses the available resources.

There is roughly 2 acres of arable land available to every human person
on the planet today, and another 60% of non-arable land that can be
used for housing and industrial.

The problem is that we don't have governments who are willing to change.
As long as everyone's hooked on the false promises of anarcho-capitalism,
predatory banking and reductionist utilitarianism, as opposed to intentional
projects that utilize new technologies and holistic approaches to resource
distribution, Earth will be destroyed.

Who will stop the love of money and the deceptions of power over others
from destroying our precious Earth and her children ?

Recommended:
Harmony: A New Way of Looking at Our World
Degrowth: A Vocabulary for a New Era

Extracted: How the Quest for Mineral Wealth Is Plundering the Planet: A Report to the Club of Rome
Confessions of an Economic Hit Man
The Tragedy of the Commodity: Oceans, Fisheries, and Aquaculture (Nature, Society, and Culture)

Against The Grain Podcast

Huh? I wish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 10:04 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Huh? I wish.
Out of my post, you took issue with this lone posit:

"everyone's hooked on the false promises of anarcho-capitalism"

Thusly, since you did not elaborate, I shall ask, "what is confusing"?

Old 07-17-2016, 10:11 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,256 times
There are many paradoxes to modern society that no one cares to acknowledge...

We expect a continuously increasing economy in a world with decreasing resources.

We expect our population to grow in a world with decreasing resources.

The ONLY reason that the economy has been increasing over the last century or so is from widespread conquering and confiscation of resources by the "modern" countries from less developed countries.

The ONLY reason that the population has exploded to what it is now is because of the exponential growth in food production since the industrial revolution.

The "bubble" created by the industrial revolution, and the relatively "free" abundant energy in which it depends (fossil fuels), has peaked and can only start to dwindle now. (Unless we get a fusion reactor working )

Billions will die as the resources (both energy and natural resources) and production start to decline. There is no escaping the impossibility of the fantasy world we have created in the last century. We cannot have ever expanding "economies" and population on a planet of decreasing resources.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:26 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
people can't just pop out kids if they feel like it, but you know that no politician who actually wants votes and to win office won't say a word about it.
Really??= you have to ask God about that one-- Are we back on sterilization mode again ---are we?? as far the worlds resources-- better thalk to your biggie corporations how they conduct business with the world and take and do not give back -- because that would cost them$$

Old 07-17-2016, 10:41 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,509,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
America and parts of Europe are fine, it's the third world countries that are in trouble. Japan is actually experiencing a decline in the population if I recall right.
I think that some people worry about tax bases. How are we going to pay for services for growing aging/elderly/infirm population with out...an equal (at least) growth in the younger (able to work/taxed) population. I think Japan will be the test case in how to handle/not handle this situation. Of course China I believe also has this coming down the pike as well. And that's a huge population to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Not concerned about it, mother nature will get out her fly swatter at some point. Super bug, volcano, meteor, ... there is endless things that will kill off a huge amount of humans. Not a matter if but when. Imagine a virus that is as contagious and deadly as Ebola with the incubation period of AIDS.

An other event like this recent one would have very drastic affects.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer
Yep. 99% of all life that has existed on this planet has gone extinct. Soooo In general not looking so good in deep time terms.

Quote:
"The radar is picking up a line of thunderstorms. But it's also pickinig up a line of Russian ICBMs over Greenland. So I wouldn't sweat the thunderstorms."

Hippy Dippy Weatherman

Old 07-17-2016, 10:48 AM

8,488 posts, read 6,891,592 times
Soylent Green anyone?

Old 07-17-2016, 10:59 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,355,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Out of my post, you took issue with this lone posit:

"everyone's hooked on the false promises of anarcho-capitalism"

Thusly, since you did not elaborate, I shall ask, "what is confusing"?
I just didn't understand what you were referring to with that sentence... And really, anarcho-capitalism doesn't promise anything. It's about not initiating force against people and allowing society to function naturally rather than enforcing a master plan on everyone in a given territory.

I also know very few people who are anarcho-capitalists, so the "everyone" part surprised me a bit.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:44 AM

1,188 posts, read 959,018 times
Quote:
This isn't a new "problem". People were saying this long ago, and it was an excuse to justify killing or limiting reproduction of others. Quality of life actually got better, if you didn't notice.
You're right -- I didn't notice.

It's debatable whether the American standard of living has gone up or down since the 1950s. For example, we have iPhones now, but we have less free time and take fewer vacations than the average American did in the 1950s. Apartments are nicer, but they're smaller and more expensive.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:51 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times
Quote:
I just didn't understand what you were referring to with that sentence... And really, anarcho-capitalism doesn't promise anything. It's about not initiating force against people and allowing society to function naturally rather than enforcing a master plan on everyone in a given territory.

I also know very few people who are anarcho-capitalists, so the "everyone" part surprised me a bit.
The two terms are essentially the same, however if I replaced "anarcho-capitalism"
with "laissez-faire capitalism", then you would read it with less confusion.

The only reason why you found "anarcho-capitalism" confusing, is that in
recent times, that phrase has been delineated as a type of freedom-based
rebellion to the establishment. This association is false. It is false because
the establishment has long been anarcho-capitalist in nature, since the
French revolution. The fact that this type of unrestricted profit-driven
motive as an economic "good" has been accepted and taught to be
beneficial to society is a lie. It's a lie that usurps the rightful claim to
causality of goodness from other phenomena working in society which
would have progressed without an anarcho-capitalist power chain.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:59 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,087,312 times
Absolutely

Lets sterilize felons of the dangerous kind first...then move out to any sex crime predator...and keep going
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies