Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2016, 11:40 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? ??? ??? ???

Philando Castile was stopped because he supposedly resembled a fresh robbery suspect.

Heck, I was stopped by a cop (#2) five minutes after I got off a bus because I resembled a suspect who had just done something across town - description had been radioed by cop #1. Cop #2 who stopped me radioed in, ran my name, no warrants, described me in greater detail to cop #1 who said Nope. So 15 minutes of my time was wasted because cop #2 thought I matched the description reported by cop #1.

Ever heard of Driving While Black? How about Driving While Poor? At night, it is harder to discern the color or race of a driver who has windows up. But it is easy to discern or to infer a driver's socioeconomic class because the car they are driving just oozes with socioeconomic clues. (e.g. wealthy people don't drive clunkers.) Drivers are sitting ducks for cops who have animus toward a racial, ethnic, or economic group. Don't need to commit a crime to meet a cop.

p.s. some data exist on black drivers stopped by police because blacks have been able to get the data tracked, but we'll probably never know how many poor people get stopped because poor people are powerless and can't get that tracked, and we can't know how many black drivers get stopped for being poor rather than for being black.

So, you think police shouldn't be able to stop and question people who match the description of a suspect?

What is your criteria for the interaction to be justified then?

Do suspects have to waive down police and confess before you think it's not harassment?

Old 07-18-2016, 11:43 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
uh huh.

Jury trials are sweet and the fact the drivers education book, to get a drivers licenses says, to keep up with traffic, not the speed limit. The officer admits each time, I was not driving recklessly(weaving in and out) and there was traffic at the time, with no wreck occurring.
I take all my tickets to court. always have. 3/4 of the time the cop doesn't show.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
In other words, "You have to pay for the sins of your people."

Okay, but since some white people are racist, have money and are privileged, all white people are like that. "That's not true. I'm not racist. and I've worked hard for what I have. You can't lump all of us into the same category"

So it's OK for me to pay for the sins of SOME black people, but you shouldn't be held responsible for the sins of SOME white people?

Correct. We are all individuals. We all make individual choices.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:46 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,440,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
So, you think police shouldn't be able to stop and question people who match the description of a suspect?

What is your criteria for the interaction to be justified then?

Do suspects have to waive down police and confess before you think it's not harassment?
Only black people is what I'm gathering. It seems they think that they shouldn't be pulled over for anything especially if it's a white cop.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:47 AM

39,209 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Jury trials are sweet and the fact the drivers education book, to get a drivers licenses says, to keep up with traffic, not the speed limit. The officer admits each time, I was not driving recklessly(weaving in and out) and there was traffic at the time, with no wreck occurring.
I take all my tickets to court. always have. 3/4 of the time the cop doesn't show.
Maybe you should respond to this poster. I am curious how you would choose to answer his questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Police are people just as we are. To make the assumption that all police are agents of the tyrant king is too far fetched to fathom. Most are doing their best to protect society, with the few bad apples being brought into the spotlight to paint a picture that they want us to see.

How do you not see that? My brother isn't one of the bad apples. Neither is my next door neighbor or the multitude of friends that we have who are in law enforcement. How can you paint with such a broad brush that their intent is to harm us?

What about the police and paramedics that were moving TOWARDS the gunfire with hopes of trying to save the lives of whomever they could? Did they have a hidden agenda
?

Old 07-18-2016, 11:47 AM

17,603 posts, read 17,629,777 times
I come from a poor white family. I have relatives who've done time in Angola Prison for breaking and entering and robbery. Have several uncles who claim to have been harassed by the police but always leave out the part about them high on drugs or drunk while driving, buying illegal drugs, using illegal drugs, or growing illegal drugs. Their younger days were so wild that they were banned from virtually all the bars in the area. I have second cousins who were stopped by the police while riding a bicycle because he matched the description of a robbery suspect. My cousin had pure white skin and blond hair. I've been pulled over even though I wasn't speeding and no tail lights were burnt. The back end of my car was weighed down because I was moving my stuff from one navy base to another. He claimed I was speeding but he really wanted to look in my trunk. Didn't argue with him. Showed him my trunk and when he saw all my Navy uniforms and stuff he let me go with a warning.

I think part of the problem with the interaction between black people and cops is attitude. Some, perhaps many, black families teach their kids from a young age that the cops are out to get them. This becomes "the cops are the enemy". It's come to the point that some young black men and women fight or attack the cops. Right at the beginning of the traffic stop the driver has the attitude of fight or flight and that represents itself in voice and body language. This attitude will automatically put a cop on the defense ready for trouble and he'll also become more suspicious of the driver. A broken or burnt tail light handled correctly can result in only a warning or at worse a ticket. Handled improperly and it could result in you being detained and a full search of your vehicle as well as your criminal history. You'll blame the cops but it's your attitude that caused the escalation. I hear this "driving while black" all the time. I could buy it in the day time or if you're driving a pimped out hood ride. But at night it's very difficult to even see the shape of the driver depending on if the windows are open or how brightly lit are the city streets. Many times at night the cops are looking for suspicious activity and find a legal justification for the traffic stop. From a cop's point of view, these stops aren't about harassing black people. They're about crime deterrent and catching criminals. Sure some innocent people get stopped, but they're let off with a warning or a ticket for a minor infraction. What they're doing it letting the criminals in the area know they're watching and hopefully one day catch them in the act.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I don't believe we are at a place in time where we need to harm others. You're going off the deep end.

Could we reach that point in time? Absolutely, and unfortunately we are spiraling towards that in current times. However, there is still a chance to resolve some of the issues we face today if we would all make a real effort to see what's going on and collectively agree to put aside our differences for the greater good.

I do nothing, but explain human nature and the natural laws mankind have lived by for millennia.

If that is the deep end, open your mind and get out of the box.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:49 AM

39,209 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
well, I was able to talk the police officer out of giving me a ticket couple of times, and couple of time, I fought my tickets in court. what does it have anything to do with the thread topic?

Fight your traffic ticket only means you disagree with police officer's decision. That doesn't make you a hero or a fighter lol that certainly doesn't mean police officer was wrong or was a bully to you.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:52 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,882,876 times
Some very good post on this subject and as many have mention do not commit crime. Respect goes both ways, so if one acts like a thug problems will ensue.

Offices routinely check anyone out if a traffic stop. License, DL and wants and Warrants. If you have no business in a area and the activity looks suspicious, one will get pulled over for good reason.
The OP post is miss leading and most Police departments have polices in place, epically with all of this BLM business.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:58 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,560 times
Quote:
All my tickets?

If you are receiving multiple tickets for your vehicle operation it says a lot about your driving

A policeman in a moderately busy city sees 5000- 50000 cars a day... So of all those cars they picked yours out ...just because... Give me a break..you must drive like a knucklehead or own a pos car that you don't maintain...

Please drive through any area that someone like me works
You would be going to court with a video clip of your violation

As far as officers not showing. Yes it happens for a multitude of reasons...multiple cases going..vacation officer not notified.. etc..rarely does an officer not show just because they don't feel like it. We are required by policy and law to appear..failing to so so for us can mean anything from a written reprimand to standing in from of a judge for contempt.

Consider yourself lucky... And it sounds like you might be an asshat driver that attracts police

I wonder why....

I guess people can hold all kinds of whack job views... sometimes it sounds like they are fifteen year olds looking for a rise. .sigh...it's the internet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies