Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 11:04 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,568,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I think socioeconomic issues play a greater part than people are comfortable acknowledging. Youngish black or white males in hoodies will get more police attention than a black or white male in a business suit, or a family in church attire on Sunday morning.

If one goes out of their way to portray themselves as a "Gangsta" or some "Thug" you can expect to get Police attention.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:04 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
"black people are reaching the breaking point"... What does it mean? That from now on, expect LE officers to be shot daily? Other acts of similar wisdom?
I have a question: if life in America is so bad for the black community, why don't they immigrate to other countries? In the last decades, millions have immigrated to the US from all over the word. People who want to live here. Interestingly it includes folks from Nigeria, Ghana, Kenya and the Ivory Coast.
Millions from Mexico and all Latin America countries.
Why don't AA do the opposite? Immigrate to African countries with no white racists?

Why would I leave? The roots of my family tree run DEEP in the soil of this nation which we helped to build. My family has been here since BEFORE the late 1700s so we are FAR more American than many others.

We don't need to leave; the people who are intent on refusing to treat us equitably must realize that we aren't going anywhere. This is our country. Now if those people are tired of seeing us and want to go back to Europe then that is fine for them. However, I would hope that we can all be more intelligent that those childish "Go Back to Africa/Asia/Europe/Mexico/etc." taunts.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:07 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
I see things a bit differently. We as humans make mistakes all thru our daily routines from sunup to sundown.

This will occur whether we are driving or just walking on the sidewalk to maybe crossing the street in the middle of the block (some places a ticket would be issued) Some blocks it is permissible and other places a NO NO.

Now a cop who sees you will stop and ask for a ID.....maybe run you thru whatever as if your a criminal.

Now you might just be scared and decide to run so he follows you and catches up to you and says "stop and place your hands on your head" Your Hard of hearing (like me) and do not respond but will move my hands near my body and the Cop SHOOTS me.

His response is that he THOUGHT I was reaching for a weapon.......makes NO difference as I"M DEAD.

That type of story has happened too many times in the US and many folks are UNHAPPY.

I have less then 50% hearing and w/o my aids I am DEAF.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I don't want to come off racist here. However, over the decades our Nation has created services that allow people to not escape poverty and continually be tied to the Goverment. Additionally, organizations and policies continue to flame tension. As well as media and larger goverment involvement.

1) We need to work towards doing away with welfare or add stipulations encouraging people to come out of poverty level. Encourage people to grow in their social economic class.

2) Need to legalize marijuana and end the war on drugs.

3) Need to dissolve or lessen the involvement of the NAACP. Need to let States and towns handle their own police issues.

1) You do realize that there are more Caucasians on welfare than there are blacks (in raw numbers not percentages)

2) I agree to an extent

3) What role do you believe that the NAACP plays in anything? Just curious because a lot of people bring up the NAACP but they never elaborate on what role the organization actually plays in anything.

3b) Also I think that it is pretty clear that we need better funding and more standardized training for law enforcement agencies across the nation.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:13 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,638,734 times
I don't have the same interaction with police officers as everyone else does.

I've been driving for 11 years. I driven on both the East and West Coast. I have never been pulled over by a police officer.

I have only been approach by an officer once. I matched the description of someone who committed a crime. I complied with the officer's instruction. I gave him my ID. I was search. I was asked a few questions. I was complimented on my cooperation. The officer concluded that I wasn't their guy and let me go.

I didn't go on social media and whine about being mistreated or feeling violated. I didn't go to the news crew and tell my story to a reporter. It wasn't that big of a deal to me.

I just don't feel sorry for other people who go through this. It's their problem, not mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Great timing, posting this today.
Couldn't hold the cop bashing 'till another day?
Actually read the original post and then try again. Thank you.

2,248 posts, read 2,346,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Great timing, posting this today.
Couldn't hold the cop bashing 'till another day?
Sure, constructive criticism = "cop bashing"

People wonder why there's such a divide...

Old 07-17-2016, 11:14 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,568,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Yes. There is a tendency to prejudge black people. "What are THEY doing in THIS neighborhood"?

But I was stopped and questioned at length basically about how I (a young black woman attending university) could afford a BMW. During the "interrogations" I remained cordial but frustrated and annoyed.

I received a bogus ticket for one of the stops that I fought in court (it was thrown out by the judge).

But I COULDN'T just be a cute spoiled co-ed because the assumption is that blacks are all criminals. It is MUCH worse for young black men.

Sure you folks are judged. All one has to do is watch a couple of your Protests. Don't worry, its going to get a lot worse. I can see it coming.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:15 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I don't commit crimes but I have to interact with cops all the time. If it isn't petty criminals attacking my business, then it's drug houses in my neighborhood or where I own apartments.

So I have no choice - and the problem is about half the time police treat ME as the problem, not the victim or the solution. We are on their side, we support them, but we (the leaders of communities) are still seen like everyone else, as criminal who just haven't been caught yet.

The police put up with all the **** the job entails because they like the power trip that goes along with being a cop.

They enjoy talking to people like you and I as though we were garbage because there is something very wrong with them that makes ****ing with people enjoyable for them.

This is compounded by the fact that the urban black culture glorifies criminality and contempt for legitimate law enforcement.

Unfortunately the response to attacks on police by blacks and accusations of abuse and brutality, and even murder, of blacks by police will predictably be less policing of high-crime black neighborhoods.

NFN, what makes you think white people aren't treated with contempt by the police too?

Old 07-17-2016, 11:15 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,346,625 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiY5zjVA8a8

Don't point out that the systemic racism and corruption has a correlation to the "anti-cop" setting that we have today though, no no blame BLM and Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies