Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 10:19 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times

Advertisements

This is nothing new. I personally have respect for law enforcement however this MUST change. Black people are treated differently by law enforcement and may police officer abuse their authority.

Having black skin is NOT a crime. This MUST stop. It happens every day. Black people are reaching the breaking point. If you do not like or even hate black people then you should not be a police officer in predominantly black areas. This is not about GOOD police officers, its about the rotten apples.

I understand that law enforcement is a low paid and often thankless job but police officers must stop taking out their anger and frustrations on citizens. Change must come in the way in which officers treat the community AND the improvement of the training and salaries of police officers as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N30tT93FChQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbdZ8x6nc1k

I know that many of the usual suspects will go off of the topic but this is about changing the manner in which law enforcement interacts with the communities that they police. This thread is about ideas and solutions. Please keep it moving if you have neither to offer.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:21 PM

4,095 posts, read 2,565,274 times
Don't commit crimes, never meet a cop.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:23 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
There are cuts in the video and we don't know why the police were called in the first place.

Let me ask you a question OP: do you think black skin is the reason this happens? If so, why don't we hear about this happening with southern Indians, many of whom are darker than black Americans?

Old 07-17-2016, 10:23 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,410,032 times
On average yall get treated different because you act different.

If Asians committed the massive % of violent crime that blacks do.....cops would have more bad interactions with Asians. But they dont.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:33 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Again, this thread is about ideas and solutions. Please keep it moving if you have neither to offer.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:35 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Again, this thread is about ideas and solutions. Please keep it moving if you have neither to offer.
I'm trying to get at the solution. Do you really think blacks get more attention from the police because of the shade of their skin? That's the only reason?

Old 07-17-2016, 10:38 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,950,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
I don't commit crimes but I have to interact with cops all the time. If it isn't petty criminals attacking my business, then it's drug houses in my neighborhood or where I own apartments.

So I have no choice - and the problem is about half the time police treat ME as the problem, not the victim or the solution. We are on their side, we support them, but we (the leaders of communities) are still seen like everyone else, as criminal who just haven't been caught yet.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:42 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,571,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
This is nothing new. I personally have respect for law enforcement however this MUST change. Black people are treated differently by law enforcement and may police officer abuse their authority.

Having black skin is NOT a crime. This MUST stop. It happens every day. Black people are reaching the breaking point. If you do not like or even hate black people then you should not be a police officer in predominantly black areas. This is not about GOOD police officers, its about the rotten apples.

I understand that law enforcement is a low paid and often thankless job but police officers must stop taking out their anger and frustrations on citizens. Change must come in the way in which officers treat the community AND the improvement of the training and salaries of police officers as well.

I know that many of the usual suspects will go off of the topic but this is about changing the manner in which law enforcement interacts with the communities that they police. This thread is about ideas and solutions. Please keep it moving if you have neither to offer.

Of course they are, and its going to get a lot worse, thanks to groups like BLM, who has openly declared "War" on all Police in America.

As long as Black folks allow these people to represent them, nothing will get any better, only worse, and relations between Blacks and Whites will return to the days of the KKK, since BLM is the New KKK. These people are abusing their freedom, and the freedom of others.

This is not about Good Black people. This is about the rotten bad apples that will spoil the entire basket. I understand that some are frustrated and angry, but they have to stop taking out their anger in violence, and illegal acts, like thugs and criminals. All that does is turn people against them.

Your going to see a change in the way Police act, and I hope they do. They should not respond to calls in Black neighborhoods, since its unsafe for them now. Cities should be able to declare Martial Law at the first sign of violence in a Protest, and Officers given the right to use Deadly Force against Looters and Rioters. This would lead to Peace, and a lack of Bad Apples.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:42 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
I think maybe end the war on drugs.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:44 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post

??? ??? ??? ???

Philando Castile was stopped because he supposedly resembled a fresh robbery suspect.

Heck, I was stopped by a cop (#2) five minutes after I got off a bus because I resembled a suspect who had just done something across town - description had been radioed by cop #1. Cop #2 who stopped me radioed in, ran my name, no warrants, described me in greater detail to cop #1 who said Nope. So 15 minutes of my time was wasted because cop #2 thought I matched the description reported by cop #1.

Ever heard of Driving While Black? How about Driving While Poor? At night, it is harder to discern the color or race of a driver who has windows up. But it is easy to discern or to infer a driver's socioeconomic class because the car they are driving just oozes with socioeconomic clues. (e.g. wealthy people don't drive clunkers.) Drivers are sitting ducks for cops who have animus toward a racial, ethnic, or economic group. Don't need to commit a crime to meet a cop.

p.s. some data exist on black drivers stopped by police because blacks have been able to get the data tracked, but we'll probably never know how many poor people get stopped because poor people are powerless and can't get that tracked, and we can't know how many black drivers get stopped for being poor rather than for being black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies