Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 08:56 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,734,508 times

Advertisements

Real libertarians have nothing in common with republicans or democrats. Libertarians don't believe in government aggression upon the individual. Both republicans and democrats exclusively use government aggression upon the individual to impose their personal beliefs upon everyone else with force. Both democrats and republicans support their particular brand of authoritarianism while libertarians are against any initiations of force upon the individual by government.

No person, group, or government has a right to initiate force upon any person, group, or government for any reason.

No democrat or republican believes in the non-aggression principle that defines every libertarian stance.

Democrats like libertarians on some social issues and republicans like libertarians on some economic issues. But as soon as either would lose their fictional right to impose their will upon others with initiations of force they part ways with libertarians.

Democrats and republicans are thugs and tyrants so they could never actually be libertarians unless they accept and embrace the non-aggression principle in all matters.

Real libertarians cannot support or endorse either authoritarian party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 09:07 AM

45,398 posts, read 26,983,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Agreed.

Let's think that if a bunch of conservatives who don't like Trump decide Johnson resonates with them more, which costs Trump the election, leading for 4-8 years of Hillary, the Republicans would have no choice but to re-examine their platform (something they should be doing with a man who wasn't even a part of their party only a few years ago and has never held any elected office being their nominee). Johnson getting a chunk of the voters would be a wake up call to both parties, espeically the side that loses.

Both options are complete ****. Which ever one of those two wins, I lose. Johnson isn't exactly my ideal candidate, but he's substantially better than Hillary or Donald. So even if my vote won't matter, I'd rather at least get some positive out of it, even if I have to wait a few years for it. In my mind, voting Trump or Clinton is more of a waste than voting Johnson.
I guess the one thing to consider is that can the country handle just 4 years of Clinton - at this particular point in time. Obama still has 6 months to do more harm to the foundations of the country. We are on the edge of more people receiving employment benefits than those who can support themselves and pay taxes.

Debt, currency, Supreme Court... many tipping points to consider in the whole scenario.

I guess my theory on building a third party would be to gain support outside of the election process first - just through offering information that people need, helping people, etc. - and when the group is large enough, then hit the elections when the structure and support and reputation is already established... instead of just nipping at the bottom of their heels.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:20 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,897,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

I guess my theory on building a third party would be to gain support outside of the election process first - just through offering information that people need, helping people, etc. - and when the group is large enough, then hit the elections when the structure and support and reputation is already established... instead of just nipping at the bottom of their heels.
That's a pretty slow process though. If a third party candidate can qualify for national debates, that's a heck of a lot of people they can easily reach out to.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:36 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,122,698 times
It takes an average of 15%, not a single poll that is almost 15%.

Right now Johnson's RCP average is 8.3, so he's still got quite a ways to go.

Plus I am not sure if the Committee has specified which polls they will be averaging. These are the ones they used in 2012.

ABC News
The Washington Post, NBC News
The Wall Street Journal, CBS News
The New York Times
Fox News
Gallup
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies