Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 09:06 PM
mm4 mm4 started this thread

5,711 posts, read 3,976,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
You really should use facts to back up your argument though. Literally study after study has shown reinstating glass Steagel act would have done nothing to prevent the 2008 crash. Saying Lehman brothers and Bear Sterns were practicing anything that glass Steagel prevents shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the law. It's alright give the people what they want but not what they need. Classic.

It is somewhat funny OP is bragging about promoting progressive principles.
Caught in a lie, you're speaking out of both sides of your mouth: defending the repeal of Glass-Steagall and defending banks being able to do floor trading.

But simultaneously you--a progressive--want to also say that that progressives really aren't like that, that they don't really want the repeal that Bernie Sanders and HRC endorse.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:08 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Remember? This is the Tea Party. It was formed by the same protesters against TARP.

And the moonbats at Salon, and other progressives, were giggling and calling Tea Partiers derisive names, and now they're voting for who Bernie Sanders endorsed: Hillary Rodham Clinton, and her Wall Street banks.

But the Tea Party wants big banks broken up and Glass-Steagall restored.
Can you actually put forth evidence that the Republicans want to restore Class Steagall or break up big banks ????

Letting banks fail =/= breaking them up.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:08 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
I wrote something and thought I posted but am too tired to rewrite it.

Fact Check: Did Glass-Steagall Cause The 2008 Financial Crisis? : It's All Politics : NPR

I thought this was a pretty unbiased review of it.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
I agree. These platforms mean nothing, it's just lip service. The liberals and conservative politicians that actually believe this are few and far between. If they actually tried to push a bill like that the dark money would start pouring in from the lobbyists.
The GOP won't be getting Wall Street money like Bernie Sanders-endorsed Hillary Rodham Clinton enjoys.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Can you actually put forth evidence that the Republicans want to restore Class Steagall or break up big banks ????

Letting banks fail =/= breaking them up.
They put it in their platform.

And they were able to do that because the Tea Party (paleoconservatives) are now in control, while the neocons (the liberal, Rockefeller infection) are scurrying down the mooring rope like Norway rats, and staying away.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:12 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Quote:
But simultaneously you--a progressive--want to also say that that progressives really aren't like that, that they don't really want the repeal that Bernie Sanders and HRC endorse.
I'm just telling you there is a lot of evidence that it wasn't the problem. Corporate consolidation is happening in every sector. Getting to the root cause and reversing so policies work for Main Street instead of Wall Street are much deeper than reinstating it.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:13 PM

549 posts, read 292,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
That's how the GOP runs. Believe the opposite of everything they have in their platform and watch there actions once they get control of any legislative body. I have have watched here in NC and in current House and Senate. Remember they gave us NAFTA and removed Glass- Steagall. They have done this when they control both houses.

They really do vote against the voters who elect them.

Exactly. They're the party of utter cynical scoundrelism. They know that they can forever dupe and distract their base, so they can promise them the moon if they want.

In other news -- isn't it weird now to see the repug base so anti-wall street, anti-bank, anti-"elite", anti-trade deals?

Whatever happened to "trickle down"? I think it's under the bus, where they've also thrown their boy dubya the dancing idiot, and the war they once pushed for but now disclaim, and the republican party that they now say has betrayed them, and on and on and on... lol

Old 07-18-2016, 09:19 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,955,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I wrote something and thought I posted but am too tired to rewrite it.

Fact Check: Did Glass-Steagall Cause The 2008 Financial Crisis? : It's All Politics : NPR

I thought this was a pretty unbiased review of it.
Quote:
Robert Reich, former Secretary of Labor under Clinton:

A personal note. I worked for Bill Clinton as Secretary of Labor and I believe most of his economic policies were sound. But during those years I was in fairly continuous battle with some other of his advisers who seemed determined to do Wall Street’s bidding.

On Glass-Steagall, they clearly won.

To this day some Wall Street apologists argue Glass-Steagall wouldn’t have prevented the 2008 crisis because the real culprits were nonbanks like Lehman Brothers and Bear Stearns.

Baloney. These nonbanks got their funding from the big banks in the form of lines of credit, mortgages, and repurchase agreements. If the big banks hadn’t provided them the money, the nonbanks wouldn’t have got into trouble.
Robert Reich, Glass Steagall

Old 07-18-2016, 11:35 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,285,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
Bull****. They're playing politics to try and seduce Sanders' supporters to vote for Trump. Neither party is against big banks.
Bingo, anyone who thinks the Republicans will end banks to big to fail and bring back Glass Steagall is seriously chugging the GOP kool-aid. But it does give a good laugh at the GOP trying to pander to progressive liberals.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:52 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
They put it in their platform.

And they were able to do that because the Tea Party (paleoconservatives) are now in control, while the neocons (the liberal, Rockefeller infection) are scurrying down the mooring rope like Norway rats, and staying away.
The article says they will, i will believe it when it happens. But Both Hillary and Bernie support reinstating it, so your thread for the most part is moot.

Also, you claiming the Tea Party is now is control is a fallacy.

Here is a list of party leaders who also voted for the repeal.

Jeff Sessions , Alabama senator
Richard Shelby, Alabama senator
Don Young, Alaska's only Rep.
Asa Hutchinson, Governor of Arkansas while in congress
John McCain, Arizona senator
Nathan Deal, Georgia governor when in congress
John Isakson, Georgia Senator
Mike Carpo, Idaho senator
Chuck Grassley , Iowa senator
Mitch McConnell, Kentucky senator
Susan Collins, Maine senator
Thad Cochran, Mississippi senator
John Kasich, Governor of Ohio when in congress.
Rob Portman, Ohio Senator
Pat Toomey, Pennsylvania Senator
John Thune, South Dakota Senator
Lindsey Graham, South Carolina Senator
Orin Hatch, Utah senator
Paul Ryan, Wiscosin
Mike Enzi, Wyoming senator
John Isakson, Georgia Senator

out of 535 congressmembers, only 5 Republicans voted against it. Your party was ideologically for it, and as far as I can tell, still are.

Mean while, every Democrat in the Senate voted no except Fritz Hollings.

That means Joe Biden,Harry Reid, Chuck Schumer, Barbra Boxer, Dianne Feinstein so on and so forth, all voted no.

Im not arguing there there were no prominent Democrats who voted yes, because Pelosi did as did others, but your analysis is based on the fact that Republicans can never admit they were wrong and simply say anything that didnt turn out the way they planned was "liberal"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies