Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 05:01 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,990,052 times

Advertisements

Two teenagers were drinking in Chicopee, Mass., Saturday afternoon when they set off to find a friend, according to authorities. Whether it was the booze or the sheer similarity of the neighborhood’s low-slung homes, the teens somehow ended up at the wrong house.

One of the teenagers, a 15-year-old boy, banged on the door.

Suddenly, a gunshot rang out from inside the house, and the boy slumped on the porch with a bullet to his belly.

The boy died at a hospital. He has not yet been identified.

The homeowner, 42-year-old Jeffrey Lovell, was arrested and charged with murder, according to the Chicopee Police Department.

Police said they were called to the house at 12:56 p.m. for a report of a breaking and entering, which suggests Lovell might have thought he was being robbed. It is unclear, however, if he was the person to call police.

“Upon arrival, our officers found a juvenile male, shot in the abdomen area,” police said. “This victim was outside the residence. Our officers began emergency medical care, and he was immediately transported to Baystate Medical Center” but did not survive.

Authorities said they were waiting to contact the dead teenager’s family before releasing his name.

Lovell’s arrest stirred debate on social media about his decision to open fire.

Many pointed out that Massachusetts does not provide as wide protection for homeowners as other states. Massachusetts law states an occupant of a dwelling must act “in the reasonable belief that the person unlawfully in said dwelling was about to inflict great bodily injury or death upon said occupant or upon another person lawfully in said dwelling, and that said occupant used reasonable means to defend himself or such other person lawfully in said dwelling.”

You think This gonna be a tricky one in court?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...sed-of-murder/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 05:05 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,196 times
Seems pretty straightforward with how the law is explained in the article... although I'm not familiar with all the nuances of MS Law.

In my state, the homeowner would be charged as well.

Old 07-18-2016, 05:10 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,231,401 times
You can't just shoot people outside on your property. It's scary to believe someone is breaking in your home but you need to let it actually happen before you go shooting at them.

Old 07-18-2016, 05:11 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Oh, okay. So the thread title should have said that he banged on the door, and not that he knocked on the door.

Notwithstanding the OP's attempt to misstate facts in order to evoke an emotional and outraged response....I would've called the police.

Old 07-18-2016, 05:15 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Also, while banging on the door and window was broken per the article.

Dumb for the homeowner but almost understandable if one follows how daytime home break-ins are carried out.

Old 07-18-2016, 05:17 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
You think This gonna be a tricky one in court?
Assuming those details are accurate it shouldn't be tricky and he'll be convicted and sent to prison.

Maybe he'll try telling the court that VP Biden (D) said he should do it. After all no one knows more about firearms than a liberal democrat.

The F&S Gun Rights Interviews: Joe Biden, Vice President of the United States | Field & Stream

you want to keep someone away from your house, just fire the shotgun through the door.

Old 07-18-2016, 05:18 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,032,058 times
The story sounds sketchy. I'd bet the farm there's a whole lot more to the story. The media is known, beyond a shadow of a doubt, to lie, especially about anything to do with guns.

I'm not buying it.

Edit to add:

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Also, while banging on the door and window was broken per the article.

Dumb for the homeowner but almost understandable if one follows how daytime home break-ins are carried out.
So you're saying he banged on the window hard enough to break it?

See..............this is what I mean. The title of this stupid thread is an outright lie and the whole thing should be sent to the delete bin. It's a teaser title much like find on trash like Enquirer, HuffPo, Salon, etc. Just plain outright false.

Old 07-18-2016, 05:19 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,694,212 times
It's scary to think somebody is breaking in your house. But you can't just shoot people because you think they are. Too many variable.

Old 07-18-2016, 05:19 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
One could argue the same as in so many cases that he "felt" threatened. I do not agree with the standard of simply "feeling" threatened.

Someone driving away in a car is not threatening you, someone simply knocking on your door is not threatening you. I do not know the proper charge here but no, it's not acceptable what he did.

Old 07-18-2016, 05:21 PM

57,295 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
The story sounds sketchy. I'd bet the farm there's a whole lot more to the story. The media is known, beyond a shadow of a doubt, to lie, especially about anything to do with guns.

I'm not buying it.
I'm in shock
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies