Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2016, 05:54 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,054,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I think one can have empathy for oppressed people whether one knows them personally or not. The right wing folks in the thread have ZERO empathy.

agreed---but
I dont care if they don't have empathy --they must have tolerance and respect - period. whether they understand their ways or agree or not to their plight or complaints - you must respect all
nobody is better than the next person - we are all flawed one way or another and if anyone thinks they are perfect --that is the biggest flaw of all--
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 06:00 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I tried to get this video off my FB that some teacher posted - and I dont know how- as it was not on you tube- but she basically said this :

IGNORANCE-- ignorant people teaching their kids ignorant things and how to hate and be afraid- There are not 5 races or peoples- there is one race, the human race! People have taken that ignorance and made political and economic divisions to profit from it. and so forth

I wish I could copy and post -- but I agree

to add: go back to the roots, what have we accomplished to maintain the divide?? what good has it done to keep the bitter fear and continue to point the fingers? - what good is it to BOX people up and put them in bowls to grow the same? We are silly and politicians stir that pot, and the sheeples follow
you put small kids together they play with the polka-dotted aliens if they will throw the ball- we CORRUPT their sweet minds

Old 07-20-2016, 06:06 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I think race is only an issue because it produces money for those who continue to stir the pot.. that's the bottom line. Take the money away and the race issue goes away a well. The media will NOT LET RACISM die because there is simply too much money to be made from it.. as soon as we evolve a bit more as a HUMAN RACE, the issue will die but not until then. Currently we are simply too stupid (as a whole) to allow it to die because we (Again, as a whole) are not smart enough to see the true agenda of the media. Eventually, we will get there but unfortunately, not in my lifetime.
"I think race is only an issue because it produces money for those who continue to stir the pot.. that's the bottom line. Take the money away and the race issue goes away a well."

Good post.

Blacks should ask themselves how did people like The "reverend" Jesse Jackson, the "reverend " Al Sharpton, and others like them, get so rich and STAY so rich?

Where are THEIR "churches"?

Old 07-20-2016, 06:12 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,739,460 times
Quote:
You are advocating my point. I have been saying that a big part of the problem is exaggerated perception of oppression and reacting accordingly.
But here is the deal. White guilt, which is a real thing, is actually a disgusting and perverse mindset wherein those who fall into it become, to use a very disgusting term itself, the 'self-hating jew'. Although they may 'know' history, or sociological pressures, they will always fall into a very predictable 'slot' as they can't break out of their own internal mindset.

This leads them to really **** off those more closely associated with them on ethnic or religious terms, pander to the worst of whatever it is they are advocating, and also.... become really pedantic to the majority of the group they are 'empathizing' for.

I use the term 'minority' as a generality here because, in reality, every single American is a minority because we are a bunch of cobbled together mutts. That's why, on these silly racial threads, I always throw in my family came over here less than 65 years ago, with genealogical roots in Algiers less than 75 years ago. Yet, I am not 'African American'.... do what? So those of us from North African, from Mauritania to Egypt, aren't African???? Kind of dumb huh?

And, in essence, I am not African. I'm an American, born and raised, The rest is just something to cause division and separation.

Now, I would contend, that much of the continued separation in the US is from white guilt and it's continual and persistent focus ON the differences... if people just shut the hell up about race, religion, and ethnicity, then people wouldn't feel quite the affront that many do.

There will always be an a..hat or 2... so what. There will always those who are fearful of those who aren't like them. But many, if not most, people just are sick and damn tired of having race and religion continually thrown in their face by the media, by the government... that means 'whites', 'blacks', 'hispanic', 'asian', and 'American indian'.

Personally, I find all 5 of those terms derogatory. That's why I used quotes.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:18 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,985,179 times
Quote:
Slavery went on from 1619 to 1865
Jim Crow 1877-1965

Blacks have only experience some sense of freedom for a bit more than 50 years.

Most black Americans are descendant of slaves.

It is not the same thing to be the son of a slave than to be the son of a merchant, a farm owner, a businessman, a doctor, a lawyer, a police officer, a school teacher, etc, etc.

Blacks started at ZERO and had ZERO education or training. They had no one to look up to as the families were broken apart.

American Blacks have done phenomenally well given the original position from where they started. And 51 years is not a long time since the end of Jim Crow.

Most people of European heritage like myself can look back for 500-1000 years of successful heritage where families were together and values were passed down. Blacks could not pass anything down because there was no family.

Some American blacks found a way to somehow have a family and those folks have done very well and surpassed many whites.

Oppression from 1619 until 1965 created a generation of people that was overtly sensitive to perceived racism. They have lived in stress for hundreds of years and that explains the hypersensitivity to cops and authority.
Most white immigrants during the same time periods you mention above were also slaves. My ancestor to America was white, he was from Scotland and in order to pay his way to the US, he had to go into indentured servitude for 10 years. He worked for a rich land owner in SC cobbling shoes. Once his time was up he was granted a little piece of land and moved on it promptly. However, without education, money, or a job, he was forced to go back to work for the very same man who enslaved him in the first place.

Most immigrants (especially to the Southern USA) were indentured in some form or another.
Blacks really didn't have it all that bad until The Restoration after Lincoln was killed. Then it got really bad there for a while.

Side note, for you blacks out there who feel "oppressed", I would recommend taking a trip to Liberia (where we sent a lot of freed slaves to during the early 20th century), the DRC, and Ghana. You will come back home praising God that you aren't still in Africa.

When are we going to start helping the truly oppressed people around the planet and start ignoring the crybabies?

Old 07-20-2016, 07:01 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
agreed---but
I dont care if they don't have empathy --they must have tolerance and respect - period. whether they understand their ways or agree or not to their plight or complaints - you must respect all
nobody is better than the next person - we are all flawed one way or another and if anyone thinks they are perfect --that is the biggest flaw of all--
That is a powerful point! I wish everybody was like that. But, thinking like you requires VERY GOOD self esteem and not everybody has it.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Most white immigrants during the same time periods you mention above were also slaves. My ancestor to America was white, he was from Scotland and in order to pay his way to the US, he had to go into indentured servitude for 10 years.
First some guy compares blacks to Jews. And now you say whites had it as bad as blacks during slavery.

Quote:
Blacks really didn't have it all that bad until The Restoration after Lincoln was killed.

Quote:
Side note, for you blacks out there who feel "oppressed", I would recommend taking a trip to Liberia (where we sent a lot of freed slaves to during the early 20th century), the DRC, and Ghana. You will come back home praising God that you aren't still in Africa.
: smack:

Words cannot simply describe your bizarre point of view.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:09 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
I think Blacks are very lucky to be living in the USA.

I look around, and I see Africa is one big hell hole.

Blacks were taken as slaves by Arabs, infact Muhammad himself was a slave owner, and Saudi Arabia was the last country to abolish slavery. Blacks are still living in the shadows since the days of the Zanj rebellion.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zanj_Rebellion

No where are Blacks better off than right here in USA.
I'm good with anyone that wants a one way trip back to Africa. Even give them say, 500K. In the long run money well spent.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post

Now, I would contend, that much of the continued separation in the US is from white guilt and it's continual and persistent focus ON the differences... if people just shut the hell up about race, religion, and ethnicity, then people wouldn't feel quite the affront that many do.
Another powerful amazing statement.

I agree with you. This country is as obsessed with race as the old South Africa and Nazi Germany.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I'm good with anyone that wants a one way trip back to Africa. Even give them say, 500K. In the long run money well spent.
The right wingos are coming out of the woodwork!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies