Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 12:00 PM

858 posts, read 707,878 times

Advertisements

Obama has nominated a judge to the Supreme Court 4 months ago and still has not had the confirmation hearing. I know Republicans want to delay in hopes that Trump wins the election but that just seems silly. We have a person nominated by a sitting President. That nomination shouldn't go away just because there is a new President and that President should not be able to rescind a nomination made by the prior President. Let's say Trump wins...I would think at the very least, that Merrick Garland should get a hearing and a vote before Trump's nominee gets a turn. I don't even care if they vote him down...there just should be a vote.

The key to me is that the nomination happened under a sitting President. If he nominated someone on his last day in office, it's still a valid nomination and should be treated with due diligence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 12:06 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Evidently we learned something new this year, the presidents term is only 3 years and 3 months.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:06 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,445,095 times
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice...

Old 07-19-2016, 02:48 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
And FDR tried to pack the Supreme Court so that it would vote his way.

Old 07-19-2016, 02:49 PM

4,095 posts, read 2,566,254 times
It's called the Biden Rule. Democrats don't like it when they are at the receiving end.

Old 07-19-2016, 02:54 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
Obama has nominated a judge to the Supreme Court 4 months ago and still has not had the confirmation hearing. I know Republicans want to delay in hopes that Trump wins the election but that just seems silly. We have a person nominated by a sitting President. That nomination shouldn't go away just because there is a new President and that President should not be able to rescind a nomination made by the prior President. Let's say Trump wins...I would think at the very least, that Merrick Garland should get a hearing and a vote before Trump's nominee gets a turn. I don't even care if they vote him down...there just should be a vote.

The key to me is that the nomination happened under a sitting President. If he nominated someone on his last day in office, it's still a valid nomination and should be treated with due diligence
Tough cookies. Welcome to the race to the bottom.

Old 07-19-2016, 03:17 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post

Why are you complaining when congress is actually doing their job?

It is their job NOT to confirm anybody.

Old 07-19-2016, 04:11 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,250,708 times
You can bet if Killery wins, they will approve the nomination; if anything just to take one away from Killery. Cause I bet chubby, fat legged Lynch will be one and possibly, the failed, lying, POS Odumbo will be another!

Old 07-19-2016, 07:33 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
It's called the Biden Rule. Democrats don't like it when they are at the receiving end.
The Biden Rule?

Really?

In what law book, part of the Constitution, or manual do we find "The Biden Rule" ???

Where is "The Biden Rule" written down?

How is "The Biden Rule"enforced?

When has "The Biden Rule" ever been practiced?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Old 07-19-2016, 07:40 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Why are you complaining when congress is actually doing their job?

It is their job NOT to confirm anybody.
Doing nothing is not doing nothing is not doing you job they are petrified of having a vote who knows he might actually be approved. Better to have a dysfunctional supreme court for a year, desperate failure and in the end it may very well make their position worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies