Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 01:49 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,599,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Gothcha, it's only relevant in the neighboring state even when that power is being consumed by NC. Do you you realize how ridiculous that sounds?

Do as I say, not as I do.
The pollution comes from producing electricity, not consuming electricity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 03:34 PM

788 posts, read 506,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Like tobacco, we need to wean ourselves off of coal.
Says who? We need to wean ourselves off of Democrats and *******s.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:37 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,274,373 times
Coal is bad.
It's good we are getting away of it.
It's not like we need them for trains.
Well, my fun park still uses one small train that burns coal but that's not the point.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:43 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,071,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If anything there should be hefty export tax applied to any raw natural resource going overseas. I don't care if it's coal, gas, oil, wood or whatever. We have an enormous quantity of natural resources in this country and if anyone is benefiting from it's utilization it should be us.
We are benefiting when they buy our commodities. Protectionism always back fires.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:44 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,071,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propulser View Post
Says who? We need to wean ourselves off of Democrats and *******s.
Please don't run with scissors.

Old 07-22-2016, 04:20 PM

788 posts, read 506,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
Coal is bad.
It's good we are getting away of it.
It's not like we need them for trains.
Well, my fun park still uses one small train that burns coal but that's not the point.
Have you heard of electricity? You know that stuff the charges up your toy-car, lights the dark, runs electronics of all sorts etc., Much of it is generated by.............COAL.

And make no mistake, once they wean "us" off of coal, and onto, presumably, gas, guess what they are going after then. You guessed it (you already knew it because its your side.s game plan) gas, and so on and so forth until people like me have to chain people like you on treadmills to generate electricity.

Faster, faster, faster.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:47 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,945,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propulser View Post
Have you heard of electricity? You know that stuff the charges up your toy-car, lights the dark, runs electronics of all sorts etc., Much of it is generated by.............COAL.

And make no mistake, once they wean "us" off of coal, and onto, presumably, gas, guess what they are going after then. You guessed it (you already knew it because its your side.s game plan) gas, and so on and so forth until people like me have to chain people like you on treadmills to generate electricity.

Faster, faster, faster.
The process of eliminating coal from our generation mix should be and is focused on replacing it with a variety of resources all with less environmental consequences than coal. Gas is an easy quick fix, but ultimately a portfolio of renewable resources will provide the most benefits. There is a role for natural gas in the future, but much of the bulk electricity will come from wind and solar.

BTW, I have heard of electricity. My undergraduate degree is in the subject and I have over thirty years of experience with the utility industry. What about you?

Old 08-01-2016, 09:05 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,256,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The "invisible hand" of capitalism is what is killing coal -- not Obama. As oil and gas become cheaper to use, end-users are switching electrical generation from coal to oil and gas. When one burns gas, it is not only cleaner to burn but the utility doesn't have to haul millions of tons of ash away.

What coal advocates want is the government to intervene to support their dying industry.
An interesting point. I live in natural gas country, and powering household appliances with gas is a lot less expensive than coal-generated electricity. My house runs on both solar and natural gas, and the cost is negligible at an average of maybe $60 per month year-round. Right now, I think I'm paying all of $20 and most of that is fees.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:53 AM

13,277 posts, read 7,804,265 times
The oil glut has destroyed Venezuela.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:55 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,526,017 times
Now that the Kidder-Morgan gas pipeline is going to terminate in eastern Massachusetts instead of at a Maine coast liquification plant I wonder if we locals will start getting bargain gas prices. currently the NG service is pretty well limited to city distribution networks installed when the places were using gas light from a coal gasification plant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies