Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 07:17 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Twenty three thousand six hundred dollars a year is peanuts no matter where one lives. The FLSA was designed to make upper management exempt from OT not the janitor. Like the minimum wage the over time threshold hasn't kept pace with the times.

The overwhelming majority of the people have been living in cities since WW 2. Obama's adjustment is thoroughly justified. Of course it was struck down by a Republican judge. I don't need any of your FOX news explanations as to who gets overtime pay when the average house and the average car is ten times what it was in the nineteen sixties.

Many companies take unfair advantage of the overtime rule because they can. You Republicans block what is a fair rise in the threshold because you want the abuse to continue.
I am not for any abuse. I am for freedom of operating one's business as they wish (under basic regulations). As I said - every situation is different.

And while I am conservative, I am not a Republican. I support conservative ideas regardless of its source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 09:24 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,222,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Even if the average Joe loses his benefits?
What benefits?
Stop crying poverty.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:28 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,455,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
...a lot of employers have been abusing the hell out of labor rules by calling someone a "manager" so they can work them 70 hours per week with no overtime at a low wage Retail is notorious for this.
Exactly.

It is a national disgrace.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
I am not for any abuse. I am for freedom of operating one's business as they wish (under basic regulations). As I said - every situation is different.

And while I am conservative, I am not a Republican. I support conservative ideas regardless of its source.
An old friend once said that if it wasn't for lawyers the insurance companies wouldn't pay anyone. This applies to employers too.
Try to read between the lines and look for the trojan horse that FOX news passes off as conservatism.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:34 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Quote:
Companies are not going to do full time benefits and overtime. Which probably means many people will be moved to hourly employment and lose their benefits.
When I used to work on an hourly rate I had the same benefits as those on salary, and when I moved into the Marketing Dept. on a salary, I didn't gain any new benefits. Is this something new?

Old 04-05-2017, 09:41 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,903,896 times
Either you believe in liberty or you do not. It really is as simple as that.

Government has NO business being in private business.. NONE.

It is your INDIVIDUAL responsibility to negotiate for your own benefit with a business. If you accept the conditions, then shut up! If you do not accept the conditions, quit... look for another job.

The problem with society today is we have a lot of stupid lazy people who are irresponsible and unwilling to take the responsibility for that issue. They expect others to pay them for breathing, give them handouts, and negotiate their worth and value for them.

Start being adults people or find a good place, dig a hole and bury yourself in it because you have no business or right to exist in a free society.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:05 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:

You are quite naive about the business world, it seems.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
Either you believe in liberty or you do not. It really is as simple as that.

Government has NO business being in private business.. NONE.

It is your INDIVIDUAL responsibility to negotiate for your own benefit with a business. If you accept the conditions, then shut up! If you do not accept the conditions, quit... look for another job.

The problem with society today is we have a lot of stupid lazy people who are irresponsible and unwilling to take the responsibility for that issue. They expect others to pay them for breathing, give them handouts, and negotiate their worth and value for them.

Start being adults people or find a good place, dig a hole and bury yourself in it because you have no business or right to exist in a free society.
We are a predatory species. We have laws to make sure that murder and assault exact a harsh penalty. As unions continue their decline, labor continues to become more and more disorganized. We need laws that guard against employment practices that create de facto slaves.

What you call liberty is in fact an atmosphere where employers can and do anything that they wish.

How many job interviews have any of you seen where your negotiations are laid out in writing. I've had a long career where some people tell you one thing at the interview and the job is something else.

And stop telling people to shut up, that is how Mussolini, Franco and other Fascists operated.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
govt. has royally screwed up and they know they are in trouble. not enough tax revenue coming in to pay the bills. the whole minimum wage argument has more to do with raising tax revenue than a living wage. cost-push inflation and "you ain't seen nothin yet".
Other than sales taxes, I don't believe that a substantial rise in the minimum wage will bring in much to federal or state coffers. The OP is talking about the threshold where one must pay overtime to the average working person. Between $23,600 and $47,000 there are millions of employees. Raising the threshold at which an employer must pay the individual overtime (1.5 times hourly rate) to $47,000 a year would have a substantial impact on federal and state revenues.

Old 04-05-2017, 01:03 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,903,896 times
Quote:
We are a predatory species. We have laws to make sure that murder and assault exact a harsh penalty. As unions continue their decline, labor continues to become more and more disorganized. We need laws that guard against employment practices that create de facto slaves.
That is a fallacy. You can not be a slave to a work place if your choice to work there is voluntary. I see this all the time. People whine and cry about their evil mean work, but are too damn lazy to look for another job, develop another skill or even take steps to remedy their problem at work (wage negotiation, better compensations, conditions, etc...).

Quote:
What you call liberty is in fact an atmosphere where employers can and do anything that they wish.
They can't do anything to you if you quit and find another job! Seriously, I have done this myself all through my life. It is a BS LIE that people are held hostage. I have worked factory jobs up to white collar tech jobs and in ALL of them I was 100% in control, I made the choice, I decided what I would accept and if I didn't like it, I moved on.

Quote:
How many job interviews have any of you seen where your negotiations are laid out in writing. I've had a long career where some people tell you one thing at the interview and the job is something else.
Writing? lots of times. If I said, I would do it for "this much" wage. They wrote up my hire and that was my listed wage. If I negotiated extra vacation time, this also was simply given to me. Having it in writing wasn't always needed (word was enough in many conditions) as if they didn't provide it, I quit and moved on. You see, like an adult, I was in control, I viewed myself as a marketable skill, not a peasant that should be grateful the business allowed me to work for them.

As I said, the problem is with people being irresponsible and that is not MY responsibility, it is theirs. If they don't like it, as I said... they can dig a hole and climb in.

Quote:
And stop telling people to shut up, that is how Mussolini, Franco and other Fascists operated.
I am free to tell people to shut their yap hole all I like. I can say whatever I like and they are free to listen, move on, or throw a little tantrum over hurt feelings.

The problem with your comparison is that I am not "forcing" people to stop whining like little babies. I am merely saying they should grow up and either act or shut the hell up. You see, I am not demanding legislation be put in to force people to my opinion, that actually is what you are doing by demanding businesses cater to lazy irresponsible people who are apparently too stupid to stand up for themselves. Freedom comes with responsibility, it is something most people learn when they leave home and no longer have their mommies taking care of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies