Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 11:34 AM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,651,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
Lassielad is right in his first sentence but I disagree with the rest. Straight, job holding, tax paying, family supporting, law abiding individuals and families are richer today than they were when he was elected.
I am not being snarky. Do you really believe that Americans are growing richer, when looking at the population across the entire socioeconomic spectrum?

Old 07-29-2016, 11:46 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,069,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I am not being snarky. Do you really believe that Americans are growing richer, when looking at the population across the entire socioeconomic spectrum?
Yes. I believe it because it is true. I don't discount the plight and hardship that the poorest Americans face, but their income has increased over time.

Blog | HumanProgress.org

"Between 1979 and 2010, the real (inflation-adjusted) after-tax income of the top 1% of U.S. income-earners grew by an impressive 202%. He also showed that the real after-tax income of the bottom fifth of income-earners grew by 49%. All groups made real income gains. While the rich are making gains at a faster pace, both the rich and the poor are in fact becoming richer. "

Income Growth and Income Inequality: The Facts May Surprise You | Brookings Institution

Over the past one-, two-, and three-decade periods, both middle class and poor households have experienced noticeable gains in living standards. Their gains are slower than those experienced by middle-income families in the earlier post-war era, but the gains are well above zero.

The idea that for one group to prosper, another must suffer is easy to go along with but in economic policy has no basis in fact. We live in the best country in the world for all people, regardless of income, and the class warfare that being stoked by both sides of the aisle is detrimental to our unity and patriotism IMO. There isn't a better country in the world to be rich or poor in.
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies