Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2016, 09:41 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There is nothing in the Constitution that restricts the firing of police officers any more than anyone else.
Nope. But the Police Unions and their contracts are one of the most solidly drafted to be favor police, no matter what, that exist. And frankly, I understand it from one perspective, as the type of people police have to deal with on a daily basis can often result in false accusations. Force needs to be used, and criminals are prone to exaggeration.

That being said, it is obvious that some, emphasis on some, police abuse that. It used to be just physical, now it is deadly force. That needs to be addressed. As someone else pointed out, if 18,19 and 20 year olds in the military can follow rules of engagement in often much more trying circumstances than police, why can't a police person with years of experience.

It's time to give police an automatic pass. That doesn't mean not support them, it just means not supporting them unconditionally.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:58 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Nope. But the Police Unions and their contracts are one of the most solidly drafted to be favor police, no matter what, that exist. And frankly, I understand it from one perspective, as the type of people police have to deal with on a daily basis can often result in false accusations. Force needs to be used, and criminals are prone to exaggeration.
I completely support due process for police officers. I support the idea that they should be paid while the process is underway.

If I lie about something at work, I know I am going to get fired. We can NOT accept police officers lying. Even if it turns out that they may have had a legitimate reasons to do something, if they lie about what happened they need fired. We can do that.

If I do something counter to company policy and someone gets hurt, I know I am going to get fired. We have to do the same thing where police officers are concerned. There are valid reasons safety precautions are put in place. When police officers ignore them they must be held accountable.

Quote:
That being said, it is obvious that some, emphasis on some, police abuse that. It used to be just physical, now it is deadly force. That needs to be addressed. As someone else pointed out, if 18,19 and 20 year olds in the military can follow rules of engagement in often much more trying circumstances than police, why can't a police person with years of experience.

It's time to give police an automatic pass. That doesn't mean not support them, it just means not supporting them unconditionally.
We actually do hold soldiers accountable when caught doing wrong in more cases than we do police officers.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:15 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,053,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Also,
Why would they handcuff the caretaker if the autistic man was the target?

That is like me attempting to rescue a hostage but instead of shooting the perp, I shoot the hostage and place the hostage in handcuffs.
The original story they they released, probably before they knew there was video, was that they attempted to negotiate with the 2 men on the scene.

"In a prepared statement, North Miami police spokeswoman Natalie Buissereth said “arriving officers attempted to negotiate with the two men on the scene, one of whom was later identified as suffering from autism... At some point during the on-scene negotiation, one of the responding officers discharged his weapon.”

North Miami police officer shot caretaker of autistic man on ground | Miami Herald

What they thought they were negotiating for is any body's guess. Trying to negotiate with an autistic man to put down a toy truck should probably involve cookies.

Once the video came out they had to change the story since they would have a hard time saying there was a negotiation when the victim was complying and had told them the other man was autistic.

Thank goodness for the person who got the video so that the police get called out for their stories.

Old 07-23-2016, 11:08 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Responsible for her death or not, falsifying logs should be an automatic termination.

https://photographyisnotacrime.com/2...d%20Jail%20Log

The prosecutor should be removed from office also.

Old 07-23-2016, 11:28 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
One of the officer discharge his weapon, hu, three times, a rifle with scope and he still miss, thank god the cop was a lousy shot or someone could of died, oh and he was shooting at a toy truck

Old 07-23-2016, 11:31 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,053,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
One of the officer discharge his weapon, hu, three times, a rifle with scope and he still miss, thank god the cop was a lousy shot or someone could of died, oh and he was shooting at a toy truck
And you can see in the video that the autistic man holds the toy truck up and out like you would expect a kid or autistic man to do. The toy truck was in full view to them as he displayed it.

Old 07-23-2016, 01:30 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Apparently the discharged Commander, Emile Holland, warned over the radio that the autistic guy was loading his gun ... then later said it was a toy truck but it might've been too late.

Radio transmission uncovered: https://twitter.com/wsvn/status/756582682188849152

Old 07-23-2016, 01:32 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
The original story they they released, probably before they knew there was video, was that they attempted to negotiate with the 2 men on the scene.

"In a prepared statement, North Miami police spokeswoman Natalie Buissereth said “arriving officers attempted to negotiate with the two men on the scene, one of whom was later identified as suffering from autism... At some point during the on-scene negotiation, one of the responding officers discharged his weapon.”

North Miami police officer shot caretaker of autistic man on ground | Miami Herald

What they thought they were negotiating for is any body's guess. Trying to negotiate with an autistic man to put down a toy truck should probably involve cookies.

Once the video came out they had to change the story since they would have a hard time saying there was a negotiation when the victim was complying and had told them the other man was autistic.

Thank goodness for the person who got the video so that the police get called out for their stories.
I think "negotiate" is merely police jargon for "we hadn't started shooting yet."

Old 07-23-2016, 01:40 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post

So very true.

I think the availability of video has changed so much of what we see. When I saw the way that officer treated Sandra Bland, I was in shock. What about that officer that casually dropped his taser by the body of a dying man?

Here, we see an autistic man who truly seems more fascinated by a toy truck than any of the shouting going on around him. Either they shot the black caregiver with his hands up or they shot an autistic man that clearly looks distracted by a toy and does not seem to be threatening whatsoever. And they handcuffed the guy they shot while later saying they were keeping him safe???

Old 07-24-2016, 01:28 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,225,409 times
Thomas Matthews, 73, the property manager of a corner food store on the street where Kinsey was shot, said he watched the incident unfold through a pair of binoculars.
Matthews said Kinsey and the man with autism often stop by his store to buy candy and juices. “They are always laughing and talking,” Matthews said. He said he saw a female officer with her gun drawn, following a male officer who pulled a rifle out of his car, and tried to alert her.
“With the binoculars I could see the toy truck in the autistic kid’s hand,” Matthews said Thursday. “I tried to tell the female officer, but she barked at me to get back.”
Matthews said he then saw the male officer raise the rifle and shoot three times.

So, the SWAT "sniper" (ROFLMAO) tries to shoot the autistic person "armed" with the toy car, but misses not once but three times. However he does manage to shoot the guy on the ground with his hands up, that, he claims, was the intended victim of the person armed with the toy car. And then, after shooting him he handcuffs him and leaves him laying on the ground for 20 minutes.

It's just a damn good thing that there weren't any of the "bad cops" there! Who knows what would've happened!

Gangsters with cop-costumes terrorizing America....as usual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies