Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 07:52 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,253,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I for one am concerned about how quickly cops use a gun. I feel that they should be held to the same standards as civilians. If I shoot someone I need to be able to justify it, prove that I felt threatened and prove that I had no other options. The idea of cops investigating cops just doesn't seem to be right. An outside agency needs to be formed.
I don't care who a cop shoots, their race, their gender or what they do for a living, that shooting needs to be investigated by a completely neutral party.
I agree. That's why I have suggested something akin to Grand Juries -- not under the control of law enforcement -- to look into EVERY police shooting.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post

There actually was a community effort to stop violence when violence was high in every black community

Obviously it did not succeed. Maybe because so many like you do not care.
In what ways did you participate in it?

Old 07-21-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manteca man View Post
Except when police are demonized for every interaction with potential black criminals. If I were a cop, I'd begin letting any potential crime involving a black suspect slide. Let the communities have their cake and eat it too.

If banning guns would stop violence, why not ban violence? Is that how it works, you ban something, like drugs or murder, and they stop?
In other words, you shouldn't be a cop. You shouldn't collect that paycheck.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
You had a more sensible position before you sat back and thought about it.

Just to briefly address what you expect from cops. They can't stop drive by shootings, revenge killings, spontaneous killings over bad drug deals, etc.. You're also expecting cops to have a policing policy that they can't win. When there's pro-active policing [Freddy Gray and Eric Garner, for example], they're the racist, brutal villains.

If enough people want cops out of their communities, BLM and others should occupy offices of their mayor, city council, police chief, to demand 'No More Cops,' instead of disrupting highways and state fairs.
Another problem. You have a "position". You don't have a solution.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Did you ever think BLM itself is illogical?

Each and every one of these police-related killings differ in circumstances. Some are justified, some are tragic accidents, some are hoaxes, and some, yes, are cold blooded murder on the part of a cop or cops.

Treating them as one, monolithic issue is illogic exemplified. Hence the rebuttal you disdain as illogical, but in said light, is clearly logical and relevant.
BLM is not illogical. Some of the cases BLM chooses to protest against are illogical choices.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
From the OP...

I appreciate the different thinking regarding the black community. My thoughts from your comments...

1. How EXACTLY do you fight black on black crime?

You pay police to enforce the law. When it appears that the law has been broken, they go into action. Anything happening before that is on the citizens to control themselves. So yes - black people must restrain themselves from law breaking activity. To me - that means you foster an environment that promotes good behavior, hard work that results in rewards, etc. A two parent father/mother household is the best foundation to foster a good environment. It is the building block of a healthy culture. For Christianity, it's about being at peace with all men as much as possible.

2. Black on black crime isn't ACTUALLY that bad

I think the problem with black on black crime is twofold... one - we kill ourselves more than white people kill us... two - we want white people to change their ways while neglecting that we are our own worst enemy.

3. There actually was a community effort to stop violence when violence was high in every black community

I agree with your take on early rap. It was much more positive.

----------------------

My problem with black on black crime is that the people who want to change it have no power, and the people with the power are OK with it (since they don't call for change).
1. The White community has almost as large a percentage of broken families.

2. Let me ask a dumb question (but hey, I'm 66 years old) -- the music on "Empire" doesn't seem to have the sex and violence that we see in other rap and hip hop. How come? It's very popular.

3. Your closing comment is very interesting.

Good post.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:31 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Another problem. You have a "position". You don't have a solution.
That's right, I don't have a solution. Nor do I have a solution for the Middle East, cancer, unwanted pregnancy, doping in sports, keeping bees away from hummingbird feeders, and lots of other things.

I have ideas, as do many other people. The OP suggested removing cops from some or all black communities. Fine by me. Let BLM and others try a neighborhood in Baltimore, Chicago, KC. Just look at a homicide map of black men killing black men, occupy the offices of the Mayor, City Council, Police Chief until they remove policing from the worst areas. Baltimore put six cops on trial in order to quell riots and respond to 'the people.' They can start there. Then, when murders quadruple, try another 'solution.'

Old 07-21-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
IMHO, the black community has always had contradictory view of the State.

It is both Oppressor and Savior.

Still, history teaches us that the same State that can approve of and regulate Slavery can also dismantle it and eventually do everything in its power to instill Equality.
Interesting post.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:46 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,929,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. I thought Americans were "our people".
Read the title!

Quote:
2. Do you actually think that White kids have never tortured animals?
Read my last statement!

Quote:
3. And that's the problem -- you enjoy being enraged; you don't enjoy seeking solutions.
What is the thread title?

If I start talking about white people, you and others would accuse me of deflecting......make up your mind!

Old 07-21-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisCD View Post
I don't believe it is the Police's job to prevent crime. Their job starts when the crimes already started. It is society's job to prevent crime. It should start with the parents and then the schools and then hopefully those making better decisions can actually have influence on their peers.

That is not to say that cops can't have a positive influence within a society. They certainly can initiate programs and conversations, but it should start with the parents.

cd :O)
The problem is that it should start with the parents. The problem is that it often doesn't start with the parents, and that's not just in Black households. So then what does society do? Just flounder?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies